Players declaring for the draft

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Was there a route for us to win a championship in year 2? 

All anyone needs is a chance.  A top 15ish team has a chance.  Having one guy with a funky shot that got locked in the last 6 games as your best returning shooter probably puts us on the outside looking in, even if we have the best defense in the country.  Probably a sweet 16, elite 8 if you get a lucky.  

Sure I'll be happy with ugly winning but dang, i want to be like Villanova.  Give me some guys that hit shots.  

This is all speculation until roster clears up, fwiw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then what's the point of even having scholarship limits anymore if a big booster can just offer someone an NIL deal to cover their tuition and room and board if they walk on?

There's not, really and I think you'll see them become less and less of an issue.  Most teams still won't exceed 13 because of playing time, but I can definitely see the occasional P5 team use the NIL to circumvent any limit on a temporary basis to solve a scholarship crunch.  I don't see teams having 20 compensated players though...just not enough minutes to go around.  I do think you'll see very very few players "asked" to leave under the NIL.  More likely, they'll leave on their own to find more minutes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I disagree with this; at least for the near future. Reasons:

1. With the free COVID year, there are really 5 classes for 4 years. Roughly estimating, that is 1.25 times the usual number of available players - there are going to be more quality players out there for everyone.
  2. With NIL, there will be more players who do not turn pro early - same thing. 
  3. With the portal, a mid-major should be able to snag underperforming players (e.g., Lander) from high majors

Everything just changes the game. Those who are in front of it for the next 4-5 years will be big winners (both at the mid and high major). Those who react slowly will slide. 

And there are still plenty of guys that want pt, shots, and the ball in their hand.

• Like 2

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

All anyone needs is a chance.  A top 15ish team has a chance.  Having one guy with a funky shot that got locked in the last 6 games as your best returning shooter probably puts us on the outside looking in, even if we have the best defense in the country.  Probably a sweet 16, elite 8 if you get a lucky.  

Sure I'll be happy with ugly winning but dang, i want to be like Villanova.  Give me some guys that hit shots.  

We are top 15 if we get Dennis and TJD. 

UNC shooting #s look no different then ours when you take out Manek, Houstons were down right awful. 

This wasn't going to be fixed in one year. And I think style of play and player development are pretty well going fix our shooting owes, as much as anything else. We don't have to be an elite shooting team.. we just have to be a little better. Literally just a little. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then what's the point of even having scholarship limits anymore if a big booster can just offer someone an NIL deal to cover their tuition and room and board if they walk on?

The NCAA didn't think it through obviously.    I'm not sure what the rules are with walk ons as far as how many you can have, if they all can dress for games and travel, etc... but that is what needs addressed.   Make it so no walk on can dress unless you have players out with injuries or something.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

All I'm saying is... our 3pt shooting wasn't the only problem, offensively. Truthfully, imo, I believe lack of guys that can break you down off the dribble was an even bigger problem. 

Again.. an opinion. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I do not buy the Kopp transferring theory. Unless he can get a waiver, he would have to sit out a year.

What would his waiver reason be: "It would be psychology damaging to only play 18-20 minutes a game."?

I completely forgot about this. MK already used his 'free' transfer. 

With DD or without, we still need MK's shooting. 

AND MK is the leader on this team (said countless times by the staff). You typically don't ask leaders to leave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

UNC shooting #s look no different then ours when you take out Manek, Houstons were down right awful. 

This wasn't going to be fixed in one year. And I think style of play and player development are pretty well going fix our shooting owes, as much as anything else. We don't have to be an elite shooting team.. we just have to be a little better. Literally just a little. 

Just watching Carolinas run, love was lethal.  They obviously had shot makers down the stretch.  

We get rid of our 2 best shooters and expect to get just a little better by adding a poor shooter and a stud freshman, not necessarily known for his shooting.  

15 is probably about where i would put us but thats likely the cap.  How many seasons in a row do we hang on hopes?  Hope Race can shoot close to 40 on the season.  Hope X can maintain his end of season tear   Hope Dennis Dexter can get back to 37.  The constant reminders of 5 years ago when Beilfeldt went from 20s to 40s and hope 3 guys on our current roster magically repeat such a rare feat.  I could go on, hope Trey ever gets a respectable shot, hope Tamar blows up.  Hope Trayce can hit any jumper at all.  Maybe Leal will materialize. 

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Just watching Carolinas run, love was lethal.  They obviously had shot makers down the stretch.  

We get rid of our 2 best shooters and expect to get just a little better by adding a poor shooter and a stud freshman, not necessarily known for his shooting.  

15 is probably about where i would put us but thats likely the cap.  How many seasons in a row do we hang on hopes?  Hope Race can shoot close to 40 on the season.  Hope X can maintain his end of season tear   Hope Dennis Dexter can get back to 37.  The constant reminders of 5 years ago when Beilfeldt went from 20s to 40s and hope 3 guys on our current roster magically repeat such a rare feat.  I could go on, hope Trey ever gets a respectable shot, hope Tamar blows up.  Hope Trayce can hit any jumper at all.  Maybe Leal will materialize. 

But we don't need anywhere near all of that to happen to be a lot better. 

We can get sooo many more simple buckets by simply being better-- Dennis, JHS, TB, TG, and MK on the wings then what we had last year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

All I'm saying is... our 3pt shooting wasn't the only problem, offensively. Truthfully, imo, I believe lack of guys that can break you down off the dribble was an even bigger problem. 

Again.. an opinion. 

In that one regard, Kopp and Stewart where offensive liabilities.  But what they did do was demand respect from 3 and open the paint for Trayce. We had athletes that couldn't shoot over the recent years and all that was done is pack the hell out of the paint   

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In that one regard, Kopp and Stewart where offensive liabilities.  But what they did do was demand respect from 3 and open the paint for Trayce. We had athletes that couldn't shoot over the recent years and all that was done is pack the hell out of the paint   

So don't let them pack the hell out of the paint... you dribble drive people to death, you cut better, you get the ball up the court in transition and on made buckets... with wings that can attack and distribute... you get to the foul line more. 

Essentially, all of our FTs were taken by 3 guys. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

One thing that Bacot seemed to be able to do is go to work a lot further away from the basket than TJD, which seemed to open things up a little more. It seemed like TJD always needed to be in a pocket within 5 feet of the hoop to be effective. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

One thing that Bacot seemed to be able to do is go to work a lot further away from the basket than TJD, which seemed to open things up a little more. It seemed like TJD always needed to be in a pocket within 5 feet of the hoop to be effective. 

Was that available more to him because the other players on his team demanded more attention? 

I only watched 2 UNC games all year.  I don't know.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But we don't need anywhere near all of that to happen to be a lot better. 

We can get sooo many more simple buckets by simply being better-- Dennis, JHS, TB, TG, and MK on the wings then what we had last year. 

+1 

Slightly better play and/or better depth and we could easily have won 6-10 more games: 

1. 'Cuse - embarrassing we lost with last year's team 
  2. @ Wisc - blew the game down the stretch 
  3. @ PSU - slightly better play
  4. @ Iowa - better depth
  5. @ NW - better depth and we overcome the loss of those missing
  6. Wisc - better play and better depth
  7. @ OSU - slightly better play 
  8. RU - slightly better play
  9. @ PU - slightly better depth to close it out
  10. Iowa in BTT - slightly better play and depth...

Even 6 more wins and things look very differently. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So don't let them pack the hell out of the paint... you dribble drive people to death, you cut better, you get the ball up the court in transition and made buckets... with wings that can attack and distribute... you get to the foul line more. 

Essentially, all of our FTs were taken by 3 guys. 

We attempted that in Archie's first 2 years.  And we begged, pleaded, and yelled for shooters.  Hell we had Romeo Langford getting into the paint almost at will even when everyone knew he was going right.  And it became more and more difficult to win as the season goes on especially in our conference.  

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There's not, really and I think you'll see them become less and less of an issue.  Most teams still won't exceed 13 because of playing time, but I can definitely see the occasional P5 team use the NIL to circumvent any limit on a temporary basis to solve a scholarship crunch.  I don't see teams having 20 compensated players though...just not enough minutes to go around.  I do think you'll see very very few players "asked" to leave under the NIL.  More likely, they'll leave on their own to find more minutes.

Throwing another wrench into the equation/mess

APR is still an enforceable rule, I believe. According to the NCAA’s guidelines, academic progress of student athletes who receive “athletic based” financial aid, are counted towards the APR calculations. Is NIL considered athletic based? Could a program hide a player struggling academically by taking him off scholarship so his poor grades don’t count against the team score? 1 player might not be enough to make a program ineligible for postseason play, but if there were multiple kids? Kids on their way out who don’t want to attend class?

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Was that available more to him because the other players on his team demanded more attention? 

I only watched 2 UNC games all year.  I don't know.  

I didn’t watch too many either. I was kind of generally asking if anybody else saw this. 

I’m not sure it was necessarily available to him more than that type of positioning would’ve been available to TJD. It’s not necessarily harder to get the ball from 10 feet out vs. 5 feet out - it’s easier. And if Bacot got double teamed; it drew the second defender away from the basket. TJD double teams drew a 2nd defender toward the basket. 

Edited by tdhoosier