Players declaring for the draft

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't seen all of these prognosticators pick IU this high in a preseason poll in years. What pattern of optimism are you talking about?  I also haven't seen our fans picking IU this high in a long time as well.  I have seen people say if things go right, we could finish like 5th in the conference, so I don't every see a pattern of optimism. 

Now I know @IU Scott hasn't read my preseason prognostications for 3 years and I'm sad ☹️ 

😉

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't seen all of these prognosticators pick IU this high in a preseason poll in years. What pattern of optimism are you talking about?  I also haven't seen our fans picking IU this high in a long time as well.  I have seen people say if things go right, we could finish like 5th in the conference, so I don't every see a pattern of optimism. 

When the talking heads pick IU to finish 7,8 or 9 in the B1G and everyone on the message boards is complaining that is too low.  I believe you had IU slated around 6 or so last season but their were several and I mean several predicting IU to win it or at least top 3.  It will be interesting this year how the team reacts to all the hype they are currently getting.  TJD is not coming back to IU to piss around.  He is coming back to win and win big. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BDB said:

When the talking heads pick IU to finish 7,8 or 9 in the B1G and everyone on the message boards is complaining that is too low.  I believe you had IU slated around 6 or so last season but their were several and I mean several predicting IU to win it or at least top 3.  It will be interesting this year how the team reacts to all the hype they are currently getting.  TJD is not coming back to IU to piss around.  He is coming back to win and win big. 

Yeah, we seem to forget how optimistic people are on IU in the off-season.  I think IU will be improved, but I think 7th nationally is awfully optimistic this early.  Heck, IU may be even better than that by the end of the season, but there's not much recent history to make me feel like this is likely before we've even seen the team play.  It's kind of like picking Wisconsin 10th in the league pre-season.  I'll believe (and celebrate) that they're back in the cellar when I see it.

• Like 3

Every year, even during the Miller years, during the offseason some people on the message boards have said how much better IU will be the next season. Help is on the way, so-and-so is going to finally make the big jump in level of play, last season just had bad luck with injuries, etc as the reasons why.

I remember some people before last season saying that that team was the deepest IU had been in a long time and that the 7th place projections were an insult and a joke. They were expecting top 4-5 instead.

It's the offseason and that's what fans do. It's fine. There's plenty of reasons for optimism for next year but I do think that 7th in the nation is a bit high. There are still a lot of question marks about the team next year. With who we have returning and who we're adding top 15 and a favorite to win the B1G does seem reasonable to me but I would understand if others felt even that was a bit optimistic.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I see this pattern of optimism every pre-season.  I'll remain skeptical for now.  That's a big jump from last year for a second-year coach.

That’s typically a time coaches do take big leaps, though. We aren’t spending an offseason putting a new system in for everyone, we are spending an offseason improving and perfecting that system.

And then in our case, we have the best returning trio in our conference and one of the best in America. Plus we are adding two five star studs and have a few other veteran role players in guys like Galloway, Kopp, and Geronimo. Plus the wild card in how Bates develops.

This team has all the makings of a top ten team. That said, we do have a bit of a question mark still in terms of another guy on the perimeter that can score and create for others. I like the possible answers there, but there is still that question mark. Our post play and point guard play should be able to compete with anyone in the country, IMO. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That’s typically a time coaches do take big leaps, though. We aren’t spending an offseason putting a new system in for everyone, we are spending an offseason improving and perfecting that system.

And then in our case, we have the best returning trio in our conference and one of the best in America. Plus we are adding two five star studs and have a few other veteran role players in guys like Galloway, Kopp, and Geronimo. Plus the wild card in how Bates develops.

This team has all the makings of a top ten team. That said, we do have a bit of a question mark still in terms of another guy on the perimeter that can score and create for others. I like the possible answers there, but there is still that question mark. Our post play and point guard play should be able to compete with anyone in the country, IMO. 

You are so sexy when you are optimistic. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I see this pattern of optimism every pre-season.  I'll remain skeptical for now.  That's a big jump from last year for a second-year coach.

Hard to just call him any ole second year coach, though, right? Woodson doesn't have a fraction of the learning curve most coaches do/will. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hard to just call him any ole second year coach, though, right? Woodson doesn't have a fraction of the learning curve most coaches do/will. 

I don't disagree with you.  I've just found that tempering my expectations prevents a lot of disappointment and heartburn.  Most teams deal with injuries and untimely absences.  With a year adjustment behind him, I think Woodson CAN make a nice jump but I'll maintain an expectation of top 20 and in the mix for a conference championship. IU's luck is that a team like Wisconsin will absolutely come from nowhere and throw a wrench in expectations.

All I know for sure is it's long overdue time to sweep the Toiletmakers. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

All fair statements.  I'm just looking to avoid disappointment. 😂

• Like 1