Jump to content

Grambling State releases ENTIRE TEAM (update: which then got the coach fired)


Recommended Posts

Posting this in basketball for discussion, even though this is the Grambling State women's volleyball team.  The new coach of only 3 months had meetings with the entire team and told all of them their scholarships would not be renewed.   

Nor would they be allowed to compete for scholarships, as I understand it.  They're off the team, and the new coach will get 14 new players.

A spokesperson for the school said "out with the old, in with the new" and the focus is on winning. 

Since we're off season and things are a little slow, I hope the mods allow this to stay under basketball, since it's a topic we discuss so often.  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/08/grambling-state-volleyball-coach-cuts-every-scholarship-player-from-team

Edited by Madison22
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Posting this in basketball for discussion, even though this is the Grambling State women's volleyball team.  The new coach of only 3 months had meetings with the entire team and told all of them their scholarships would not be renewed.   

Nor would they be allowed to compete for scholarships, as I understand it.  They're off the team, and the new coach will get 14 new players.

A spokesperson for the school said "out with the old, in with the new" and the focus is on winning. 

Since we're off season and things are a little slow, I hope the mods allow this to stay under basketball, since it's a topic we discuss so often.  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/08/grambling-state-volleyball-coach-cuts-every-scholarship-player-from-team

Law of unintended consequences.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a quote from Grambling State's AD...

"just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs." 

People wanted it to be a business...Okay...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Here's a quote from Grambling State's AD...

"just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs." 

People wanted it to be a business...Okay...

Also don't forget media outlets have pressured athletic departments to become businesses and when they finally act like businesses those same media outlets ridicule the programs for how they act. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • Madison22 changed the title to Grambling State releases ENTIRE TEAM (update: which then got the coach fired)
13 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Update:  the volleyball coach was fired this week, and the players all had their scholarships renewed.  

Oops. 

Sounds like the then-new coach should have cleared the decision first.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34198422/grambing-state-tigers-fire-chelsey-lucas-wake-newly-hired-coach-decision-cut-volleyball-players-scholarship

Actually, it sounds like she did have support from the AD at the time. 

Dr. Trayvean Scott, Grambling State's vice president for intercollegiate athletics, said in the statement that student-athletes who received scholarships for the upcoming season will keep them and remain on the team.

Scott initially offered his support of Lucas' decision, saying at the time: "Just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Hey guys, you're derailing my volleyball thread that has nothing to do with basketball, but which I posted in the basketball forum anyway.

Talk about rude.

Well, if you think any of us can stay on topic, you haven't been paying much attention!

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Hey guys, you're derailing my volleyball thread that has nothing to do with basketball, but which I posted in the basketball forum anyway.

Talk about rude.

Wilt Chamberlain is in the International Volleyball Hall of Fame. OK, back on track 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, SawatchHoosier said:

That isn't all bad. Jon Calipari is running Kentucky like K-Mart in the 2000s. 

Straight into the ground? 

Which is where first a volleyball goes when spiked and my eyes go if I ever happen to be at a volleyball game because of my wife! Haha.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...