Grambling State releases ENTIRE TEAM (update: which then got the coach fired)

Posting this in basketball for discussion, even though this is the Grambling State women's volleyball team.  The new coach of only 3 months had meetings with the entire team and told all of them their scholarships would not be renewed.   

Nor would they be allowed to compete for scholarships, as I understand it.  They're off the team, and the new coach will get 14 new players.

A spokesperson for the school said "out with the old, in with the new" and the focus is on winning. 

Since we're off season and things are a little slow, I hope the mods allow this to stay under basketball, since it's a topic we discuss so often.  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/08/grambling-state-volleyball-coach-cuts-every-scholarship-player-from-team

Edited by Madison22
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Posting this in basketball for discussion, even though this is the Grambling State women's volleyball team.  The new coach of only 3 months had meetings with the entire team and told all of them their scholarships would not be renewed.   

Nor would they be allowed to compete for scholarships, as I understand it.  They're off the team, and the new coach will get 14 new players.

A spokesperson for the school said "out with the old, in with the new" and the focus is on winning. 

Since we're off season and things are a little slow, I hope the mods allow this to stay under basketball, since it's a topic we discuss so often.  

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/08/grambling-state-volleyball-coach-cuts-every-scholarship-player-from-team

Law of unintended consequences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Here's a quote from Grambling State's AD...

"just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs." 

People wanted it to be a business...Okay...

Also don't forget media outlets have pressured athletic departments to become businesses and when they finally act like businesses those same media outlets ridicule the programs for how they act. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Update:  the volleyball coach was fired this week, and the players all had their scholarships renewed.  

Oops. 

Sounds like the then-new coach should have cleared the decision first.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34198422/grambing-state-tigers-fire-chelsey-lucas-wake-newly-hired-coach-decision-cut-volleyball-players-scholarship

• Madison22 changed the title to Grambling State releases ENTIRE TEAM (update: which then got the coach fired)
13 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Update:  the volleyball coach was fired this week, and the players all had their scholarships renewed.  

Oops. 

Sounds like the then-new coach should have cleared the decision first.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34198422/grambing-state-tigers-fire-chelsey-lucas-wake-newly-hired-coach-decision-cut-volleyball-players-scholarship

Actually, it sounds like she did have support from the AD at the time. 

Dr. Trayvean Scott, Grambling State's vice president for intercollegiate athletics, said in the statement that student-athletes who received scholarships for the upcoming season will keep them and remain on the team.

Scott initially offered his support of Lucas' decision, saying at the time: "Just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Hey guys, you're derailing my volleyball thread that has nothing to do with basketball, but which I posted in the basketball forum anyway.

Talk about rude.

Well, if you think any of us can stay on topic, you haven't been paying much attention!

• Haha 4