Who was the last IU player...

34 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

and more specifically, when Yogi hit that jump stop 3 in transition. Man, he was good. 

Yep.  We just expected it to go in.  

I don't think X will ever shoot as good as Yogi in transition or from three in general but he did finish the year shooting better from deep.  When he takes what is given and doesn't force it, he can make it and it at least demands respect from the defender.  As long as Jalen and Bates can be respected, Kopp does hold his own, TG knows he must improve.  He has the work ethic.  Honestly no reason to believe he won't make a few small incremental jumps.  

Just looked because I knew X was playing and shooting well down the stretch.  16 of 30 in the last 9 games of the season.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  We just expected it to go in.  

I don't think X will ever shoot as good as Yogi in transition or from three in general but he did finish the year shooting better from deep.  When he takes what is given and doesn't force it, he can make it and it at least demands respect from the defender.  As long as Jalen and Bates can be respected, Kopp does hold his own, TG knows he must improve.  He has the work ethic.  Honestly no reason to believe he won't make a few small incremental jumps.  

Just looked because I knew X was playing and shooting well down the stretch.  16 of 30 in the last 9 games of the season.  

X was definitely shooting a lot better down the stretch. That said, I'm not exactly confident it will go in because his shot just looks so weird. haha. He also needs to be set. I have high expectations for him next year because he'll be ready to play in that system from day 1. 

Side note, as much as we love and appreciate Yogi, I still think he's under-rated. He is the perfect college point guard. 4 year player. 17 points a game. 2 to 1 A/TO.  He could score. He could create. Yeah, he was a little shorter than you'd like but he was really strong and became a great defender. 

He was one of those players that opposing fanbases though was at IU for 5 years, when he was only a junior. Guys like him don't come around often. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

X was definitely shooting a lot better down the stretch. That said, I'm not exactly confident it will go in because his shot just looks so weird. haha. He also needs to be set. I have high expectations for him next year because he'll be ready to play in that system from day 1. 

Side note, as much as we love and appreciate Yogi, I still think he's under-rated. He is the perfect college point guard. 4 year player. 17 points a game. 2 to 1 A/TO.  He could score. He could create. Yeah, he was a little shorter than you'd like but he was really strong and became a great defender. 

He was one of those players that opposing fanbases though was at IU for 5 years, when he was only a junior. Guys like him don't come around often. 

Yogi was around 4 years because he was shorter. 

And all the 'we need NBA talent' guys can hate on me all they want, but I would rather have a team full of Yogis that fell short of a championship all 4 years than a team full of hired guns that won one.

I'm dead serious.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And all the 'we need NBA talent' guys can hate on me all they want, but I would rather have a team full of Yogis that fell short of a championship all 4 years than a team full of hired guns that won one.

I'm dead serious.

Even the Hulls, Watford, Vic, and Zeller team?  I wonder if hulls shoulder was healthy could they have pulled that off?  

There were no Hired guns on that team.  A perfect sprinkle of NBA talent with 4-year players.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Even the Hulls, Watford, Vic, and Zeller team?  I wonder if hulls shoulder was healthy could they have pulled that off?  

There were no Hired guns on that team.  A perfect sprinkle of NBA talent with 4-year players.

Doubtful. Crean was lost vs Boeheim’s zone. Hulls would have helped spread the floor a little more, but that one wasn’t in the cards. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I look back at that team and honestly it was a juggernaut when it came to offense and actually sneakily good on defense but I would say due to poor coaching and ill timed injuries lead to our downfall in the sweet 16. You had Hulls on that team with Watford and Yogi. It seemed like when you were in transition if they pulled up it was going in. That is what I missed the most about that offense is the free flowing transition offense. That is when I thought just about anyone on our team besides Zeller would make the 3 and we would expect it. Once it was our half court it offense it became ugly.

I thought Zeisloft was an amazing shooter you expected it to go in. Hulls Yogi Roth were the other that came to mind most recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm dead serious.

Generally agree. I mean, I'll take the title, but otherwise agree. 

I think IU's issue recruiting-wise has been not stacking enough of the fringe NBA guys. The issue hasn't been not getting enough 1 and dones. 

Give me all of the TJD's, Watford's, Yogi's, Troy Williams', OG's, Juwan Morgan's, Bryant's, etc., that we can get. 

We need to stack classes with guys ranked between 20ish-70ish. These NBA prospects that are missing one thing (Yogi with his height as an example) that causes them to stay 3-4 years. 

UNC does this. Villanova does this. Baylor generally does this. Gonzaga does this. Maybe even Michigan under Beilein. I'd even say Kansas does this to an extent, though they're probably in between this and the UK/Duke model. 

We dont need one and dones, but we need guys that after 2-4 years of college are NBA radar guys. But you need more then one at a time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

The key point is hired guns.  Vic and Cody were NBA talents, but not hired guns on any sense.  In fact,  VO wasn't considered NBA talent until his Jr. year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The key point is hired guns.  Vic and Cody were NBA talents, but not hired guns on any sense.  In fact,  VO wasn't considered NBA talent until his Jr. year.

And all the credit in the world to him.....Vic also graduated in 3 years.  That's not what a kid looking straight to the NBA does, because that takes some dedication in the classroom.