What are Your Favorite Things to Discuss on HSN?

Offseason can be rough on the message board with the lack of things to discuss.  We've seen the results of that with some of the recent spats among posters.  The point is, to quote Sea Turtle, we're all Hoosier fans here.

Personally. I like to discuss things that have actually happened.  Fife's dismissal, XJ's Indy 500 tryout, etc.  I don't enjoy speculating on what might happen.  Just like during the season, I like to break down what happened in the postgame thread more than I enjoy talking about what might happen in the pregame threads.

I realize this will cause some of you to consider me crazy, but I don't like talking about recruiting.  I rarely visit the recruiting board.  I absolutely LOATHE the Transfer Portal.  If God chose to design something that was the definition of speculation he couldn't come up with anything that topped the Portal.

I don't care much for Football, but I really enjoy spending time in Colonial Crester's Corner and all the variety of topics that it has to offer.  I enjoy debating politics.....just kidding Mods. 

Anyway this thread is meant for people to share what they enjoy about HSN.  You may find common ground with someone you've been debating with. 

So, let's hear it HSN!  What keeps bringing you back here and what do you stay away from? 

• Like 5

I enjoy discussing the 80's and 90's LOL!

It seems lately for my teams the off season had been more entertainment than the regular seasons.  I like to discuss and see who we are recruiting and how they are doing. I don't like the portal but it is entertaining to see who goes on and who we are going after.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I enjoy discussing the 80's and 90's LOL!

It seems lately for my teams the off season had been more entertainment than the regular seasons.  I like to discuss and see who we are recruiting and how they are doing. I don't like the portal but it is entertaining to see who goes on and who we are going after.

I literally do not know 90% of the names that are brought up in the portal.  Even some of the Big Ten guys, who were role players.  You seem to still have the passion for college basketball that I had 30-40 years ago.   I'm envious of that because college basketball is a great sport and it's more enjoyable when you know what is going on all around the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I literally do not know 90% of the names that are brought up in the portal.  Even some of the Big Ten guys, who were role players.  You seem to still have the passion for college basketball that I had 30-40 years ago.   I'm envious of that because college basketball is a great sport and it's more enjoyable when you know what is going on all around the country.

I agree and to me the college game is no where as good as it was back in the day.  Part of it is that you have to much turnover in your roster and don't get to know the players on your team.  I still watch it because I still love the atmosphere of the college game and it is still usually very competitive.  Back in the day I would get two or three pre season magazines and read it covet to cover and knew the teams well.  I could tell you most of the lineups if all the top teams

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

Thanks for the topic. I'm kinda of a go with flow kind of guy. I appreciate statical analysis of player and lineups very much. I do enjoy plugging in transfers and recruits and philosophizing on how they might help and or hurt the team. One thing I will always enjoy discussing is how much I hate Purdue and Kentucky. Honestly, I wish there was a Purdue and Kentucky jokes only thread I could visit from time to time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am watching the 93 home game against Michigan and the talent level on the court is unbelievable.  Combined I think there were 8 players who were eventually first round draft picks and two were 2nd rounders. The score was 46-44 St half and it seemed like IU didn't even play that well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am watching the 93 home game against Michigan and the talent level on the court is unbelievable.  Combined I think there were 8 players who were eventually first round draft picks and two were 2nd rounders. The score was 46-44 St half and it seemed like IU didn't even play that well.

Have to say I miss the camera angle they use to have at AH. It was like you were on the court with the players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I enjoy talking about how Watford, Troy Williams, OG, Justin Smith and now JG are college 4's not wings :coffee:

🤣🤣

Of the first 4 you listed, Watford is the only one that really left a mark on the program.  Sure, OG gets announced at NBA games as being from Indiana.  But, he only played for 1.5 years and a lot of that was off the bench.  I truly hope Geronimo ends up being more like Watford, with much better athleticism, than he does the other 3.   

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Of the first 4 you listed, Watford is the only one that really left a mark on the program.  Sure, OG gets announced at NBA games as being from Indiana.  But, he only played for 1.5 years and a lot of that was off the bench.  I truly hope Geronimo ends up being more like Watford, with much better athleticism, than he does the other 3.   

Agree to disagree on that. Troy Williams was basically a 3-year starter and was a double-digit scorer on a Big Ten Title winning team that beat UK in the tournament to go to the Sweet Sixteen. 

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

Pointing out the main reason that team went to the Sweet Sixteen.  Thomas Bryant's development at the end of the year was a big factor as well.  

Ok, the main reason Warford's team won the Big Ten and went to the Sweet Sixteen was ha ing two lottery picks on the team. 

Much like Watford, Troy Williams was the 3rd guy on his team. 

• Like 2

Just now, Officer Obie said:

Recently, the last couple decades anyway, after a season of watching IU play basketball, I enjoy cutting grass.

did that earlier today.  Used to absolutely love doing it.  Totally serious.  Now, in my mid-50's, it's starting to lose some of its appeal.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Pointing out the main reason that team went to the Sweet Sixteen.  Thomas Bryant's development at the end of the year was a big factor as well.  

While he may have not been much more than a role player on that team he still was a vital part of one of our top teams in the past 15 years. I would argue that is at least worth something. I understand your point though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

While he may have not been much more than a role player on that team he still was a vital part of one of our top teams in the past 15 years. I would argue that is at least worth something. I understand your point though.

Was he just a role player though? He was the 2nd leading scorer on that team (not counting JBJ since he only played the early part of the season).