DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

31 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Things went great. I guess I think he will do in later in July. But if we get to August 1 and he hasn’t done it.... I don’t expect IU to be the pick.

If he says his announcement is coming soon then it is IU or UM. The longer it goes the worse for IU.

As for the visit, I know he watched practice on Saturday with the guys. Also heard about a cool highlight within the practice itself. 

Indiana has a real chance here. But, there is still a lot of work to be done and Michigan will be doing everything possible as well. 

We'll see if he visits Ohio State or not. I think at some point in the next few days there will be some articles coming out (Peegs, other sites, etc) where he recaps things and the wording and vibe may tip the hand here. Also, if he doesn't commit in the next week then how hard IU is watching him in the 3 July periods will be very, very telling. If they see him a lot, they think they may get him... If they see others a bit more, probably a sign they don't think he is coming.

The article a couple of weeks ago made it sound like he is waiting for KU or UNC type of team to come calling.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I can tell you Kansas won't be much of a factor here. And UNC already has a PG in his class. 

The articles, at least to me, are a bit out-of-touch. Carton knows he is a backup plan at Duke should they not get Cole Anthony. Kansas has a plethora of point guards. 

One of the things I like about this recruitment (this will sound weird) is that Carton and his folks will say certain things publicly but act differently behind the scenes. 

The truth is that this is an IU vs. Michigan battle UNLESS Duke finds out they are whiffing on Anthony or if UNC thinks they can talk another PG into the same class. Kansas, I won't totally rule out but seems very unlikely. Ohio State will have a chance here IF they get a visit from him. If the does visit then I really don't know where that leaves Indiana. 

I’m guessing Carton getting cut by Self is contributing to their lack of a chance here

12 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just read CoachSS's post above and you've got the gist of it.  The rest was just the typical pleasantries that they all say.  

Heck, I was asked by a valued HSN member, the other day how the visit went.  And told him what was reported to me..... that the visit went well. Just like they all say.  And he did not have to pay to get that intel from me.  LOL

Oh by the way.... I also wished him a safe and happy 4th.  And I now wish the same to all the rest of HSN's great members.  Have a happy 4th, one and all !

14 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Next week is key for IU in this race.  As Coach said longer it goes the better for Michigan.

I feel like if you have the program in a healthy place with a great coach and the right  attitude and momentum (like I think we have going on now) you should feel confident to let these kids look around because they are not going to find a better situation for them. Like if you’re a great steakhouse...let them try the O’Charleys down the road...they will come back because the food is so much better at your place. I think what our program has to offer and the team we are building I’m confident him visiting any of our peers and we have the most to offer. Now if Duke, UNC, UK get involved then I’ll start worrying.

Uh oh, the board is turning lol.  Stay positive fellas, TDH just posted an article summing up an interview with Cathedral Coach Delaney, who coaches the top indiana aau team, and it sounds like IU has a lot of recruiting momentum right now.  I think we have a great chance at the top in-state talent if we miss on Carton :)

I’m not at all worried about him taking 4 of his 5 visits. Why wouldn’t he? He seems like an intelligent kid so take em and put your mind a little more at rest. If we don’t put much effort into watching him in the eval period then it’s probably game over though.

26 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Uh oh, the board is turning lol.  Stay positive fellas, TDH just posted an article summing up an interview with Cathedral Coach Delaney, who coaches the top indiana aau team, and it sounds like IU has a lot of recruiting momentum right now.  I think we have a great chance at the top in-state talent if we miss on Carton :)

Exactly. If it’s not the right place for him that’s fine. I’m confident we have as much to offer as any other school. We are trending up. If we don’t the one thing I am very very confident is that Archie can find a really smart great shooting pg in Indiana.  We may have years where we don’t have the bigs or that absolute stud player but Indiana is chalk full of great point guards. Even during our low times we’ve consistently had some great point guards...well up until the past couple years after Yogi but that was Creans doing. I’m confident while Carton seems to be a complete guard we have in state talent to replace him.

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

According to Rabjohns Carton will visit Ohio State and MAYBE Iowa before making a decision. 

I know people don't think that bodes well for IU but IMO I still think we have a really good shot. The fact that he's apparently looking to decide soon means that IU is at the very least in his top 3. 

If it makes anyone feel any better, don't forget that we all believed it was bad news for IU that Romeo didn't end up going on that final unofficial visit before making his decision. 

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ll admit that the stuff I got on Carton isn’t from the normal guy I talk to. I still trust him but he isn’t the most connected person I know. 

It would be nice to add Carton to next years class,really nice..but I'm all for the potential class we could get right here in Indiana

Archived