DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Does Indiana being on top of the edit mean we got it in the bag??

For me.... it is significant when I think back to Crean chasing elite talent, and never making the final three.  At least with Archie, we are still in the hunt. 

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Very hard to win any out-of-state 5* recruitment. The ties have been incredibly overblown in my opinion. Always good to know certain people at certain stops along the way of your journey. But, people have mentioned it like it is the most important part of his recruitment. 

Knowing someone who is pretty close to Carton I can tell you two things are most important in this recruitment and it isn't much different than a lot of recruitments: 

1.) Development. 

2.) Relationship with future teammates (from current team). 

Indiana has a very good chance here. Michigan has a very good chance here. I can't speak to Ohio State as I have yet to hear anything about #2 ^^^. I think Holtmann is a fine coach. If he weren't, they wouldn't be a finalist. Plain as that. 

How did OSU get involved?  Seems like they came out of nowhere pretty late in the process.

6 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

They have been involved for awhile.  

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

No, OSU has been there for quite a while. Just tougher to make it work logistically with parents' work schedules, distance, etc. The 3 finalists are his three best offers and he didn't want to leave other schools hanging as they get into the nuts and bolts of recruiting season (read: the July Live periods). 

Good to know.  For some reason I just hadn’t really heard about them as a legit contender until fairly recently.

couple comments about the top 3 tweet:

1.  Indiana listed prominently across his chest could be a great sign, or simply in descending alphabetical order, or...

2.  Remembering back to Romeo posting three jerseys, Vandy, KU, IU...only IU was the home jersey of the three, and that has or could have been an intended clue, as in, Indiana is my home, or I’m staying home. 

It is good conversation and interesting, but may not mean anything.  That said, I’d rather be an IU fan than the other two schools due to the prominence of the IU uni in the Carton tweet   

I would love for Carton, however I am not getting my hopes up about him choosing IU(I hope he proves me wrong).  No intel or source just a gut feeling.  I think he wants IU and maybe if this was one year later he would choose IU, or if TJD and Brooks were already committed(I feel alot better about these two choosing IU then Carton) then I could see Carton choosing IU.  

8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Very hard to win any out-of-state 5* recruitment. The ties have been incredibly overblown in my opinion. Always good to know certain people at certain stops along the way of your journey. But, people have mentioned it like it is the most important part of his recruitment. 

Knowing someone who is pretty close to Carton I can tell you two things are most important in this recruitment and it isn't much different than a lot of recruitments: 

1.) Development. 

Indiana has a very good chance here. Michigan has a very good chance here. I can't speak to Ohio State as I have yet to hear anything about #2 ^^^. I think Holtmann is a fine coach. If he weren't, they wouldn't be a finalist. Plain as that. 

Well hopefully Ed Schilling can put us at the top of #1. And TJD can put us at the top of #2

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Coach SS makes great point about connections sometimes being overblown. Todd Leary as bait comes to mind in the attempt to get Montross.

We may see relationships not being what we thought if we get the Carton commit, or lose the Brooks commit  

True.  If connections were the deciding factor, it'd be reasonable to count on us getting Brooks & Watford and I doubt many feel we lead for Trendon.  If Carton picks UM, I'd still be overjoyed to get Newman (along with Brooks and Davis :nansplit:)

11 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Another cb pick for Michigan. That’s definitely the current consensus. 

Andrew Slater and Evan Daniels have yet to make a pick.  They may be holding out for more solid intel.  If one of them picks IU (esp Slater), watch the flipping commence.

15 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Andrew Slater and Evan Daniels have yet to make a pick.  They may be holding out for more solid intel.  If one of them picks IU (esp Slater), watch the flipping commence.

Their lack of pick probably means theirs no real solid info out there. Meaning Carton probably doesnr know where hes going yet

11 hours ago, CoachSS said:

1.) Development. 

I appreciate the info, SS.

17 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Another

image.png.badcd6992f7085197b1ac4aecec57973.png

If they are still picking Michigan right before his announcement then I'd be a bit concerned,- however, these crystal ballers are notoriously known to switch picks at the last minute. After all, he still has to visit OSU. He may very well pick Michigan, but I hear it is a dead heat right now. Time will tell..  I will further say that we have a ton to offer - with the way next year's recruiting class could shape up - DJ could be the missing piece to a National Championship team. 

21 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Another

image.png.badcd6992f7085197b1ac4aecec57973.png

Since these Crystal Ballers get rewarded for how long they've had their pick locked in, all of the UM picks are leaving theirs as is from awhile ago. New picks are likely based on the fact that everyone else has him going to UM. It will be interesting to see how quickly a bunch of them change if a big name switches to IU or OSU.

I'm hoping that if the good rumors around KBJ and TJD are true, that they would both speak up and say something to Carton. Carton knowing that he could definitely play with both of them could tip the scale towards IU. 

My biggest gut feeling as to why we don't beat out Michigan is just due to the fact that Coach B's recent success is an easy selling point, while Coach Miller has to really convince him to buy into what he sees IU's future looking like. That being said, I think it shows how good of recruiters this staff is to have us end up in the final 3 along with a team that went to the national championship game and the other that lost a close one in the round of 32.

8 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Since these Crystal Ballers get rewarded for how long they've had their pick locked in, all of the UM picks are leaving theirs as is from awhile ago. New picks are likely based on the fact that everyone else has him going to UM. It will be interesting to see how quickly a bunch of them change if a big name switches to IU or OSU.

Also, of the 14 predictions, half are affiliated with Michigan/Wisconsin outlets (4 Mi, 3 Wi).  

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Interesting. Thanks or sharing that. For all the stick that the CB can get at times I think it's a pretty nifty and cool little tool that does have value. There's strategy, game theory, legit ITK news, educated guesses, and all sorts of other things that play into making it 'work'. Personally I think it does it's job very well as long as you understand the process behind it.

Archived