DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I'm hoping that if the good rumors around KBJ and TJD are true, that they would both speak up and say something to Carton. Carton knowing that he could definitely play with both of them could tip the scale towards IU. 

My biggest gut feeling as to why we don't beat out Michigan is just due to the fact that Coach B's recent success is an easy selling point, while Coach Miller has to really convince him to buy into what he sees IU's future looking like. That being said, I think it shows how good of recruiters this staff is to have us end up in the final 3 along with a team that went to the national championship game and the other that lost a close one in the round of 32.

I don't know if we necessarily have to "really convince" him to come to Indiana. Something along the lines of "hey DJ, you are the missing piece to a championship team," should suffice :)

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Very hard to win any out-of-state 5* recruitment. The ties have been incredibly overblown in my opinion. Always good to know certain people at certain stops along the way of your journey. But, people have mentioned it like it is the most important part of his recruitment. 

Knowing someone who is pretty close to Carton I can tell you two things are most important in this recruitment and it isn't much different than a lot of recruitments: 

1.) Development. 

2.) Relationship with future teammates (from current team). 

Indiana has a very good chance here. Michigan has a very good chance here. I can't speak to Ohio State as I have yet to hear anything about #2 ^^^. I think Holtmann is a fine coach. If he weren't, they wouldn't be a finalist. Plain as that. 

I'm quoting this because I think your points are so very right on. Development and his relationships with his teammates (who's coming in with him..how good teammates will be) are so important to these kids. Knowing people in the organization might lead you to #1 so you might have a feeling about your development and your potential fit with the team...but the relationships these kids develop on the AAU and travel ball circuit I think can't be ignored. Who they are playing with is a huge positive and how their game will work with those guys and that coach to me surpasses any loyalties their parents or HS coaches might have.

It is interesting that he narrowed down Ohio State even without an official visit but I think that goes to show how impressive a coach Holtmann is. He is going to be a force and maybe as big one as Purdue and Michigan State for our Indiana kids. That said they are going up against Archie now...and not the old regime.

I think a coach either 'has it' or he doesn't when it comes to recruiting at the top level and you'll almost always see it pop in a big way in his second/third class if he does. That was kind of my instinct at least so I did the research.

Sean Miller:

Year 2) 11, 25, 59, 88. (Elite 8 )

Year 3) 8, 9, 18, 62.

Self:

Year 2) 25, 28, 51, 53, 55.

Year 3) 8, 15, 24, 107.

Alford:

Year 2) 11, 33, 38.

Year 3) 41, 42, 54, 291.

Cal:

Year 1) 2, 3, 18, 56, 68 (Elite 8 )

Year 2) 5, 8, 9, 24, 47 (Final 4)

Year 3) 1, 3, 6, 20 (NCAA Title).

Roy:

Year 2) 9, 10, 66. (NCAA Title)

Year 3) 9, 27, 41, 42.

There seems to either be a buzz and appeal with the new coach/program early on and if there isn't one then you're looking at a tough rebuild with little hope of instant success (think Gillispie, Doherty, Crean, Kevin O'neill, Russ Pennell) . When you come in high on confidence, positive, motivated, energetic, and optimistic and if it clicks for you then you can do some damage instantly on the recruiting trail and make deep runs from the get go.

You see Archie in the vein of Billy G. Matt D. or more like Self and his brother? History shows us that there's a good chance that this program is about to make a major leap and I'm sure the recruits can feel it too. For these reasons I think we'll land Carton and end up with a monster class.

T

38 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think a coach either 'has it' or he doesn't when it comes to recruiting at the top level and you'll almost always see it pop in a big way in his second/third class if he does. That was kind of my instinct at least so I did the research.

Sean Miller:

Year 2) 11, 25, 59, 88. (Elite 8 )

Year 3) 8, 9, 18, 62.

Self:

Year 2) 25, 28, 51, 53, 55.

Year 3) 8, 15, 24, 107.

Alford:

Year 2) 11, 33, 38.

Year 3) 41, 42, 54, 291.

Cal:

Year 1) 2, 3, 18, 56, 68 (Elite 8 )

Year 2) 5, 8, 9, 24, 47 (Final 4)

Year 3) 1, 3, 6, 20 (NCAA Title).

Roy:

Year 2) 9, 10, 66. (NCAA Title)

Year 3) 9, 27, 41, 42.

There seems to either be a buzz and appeal with the new coach/program early on and if there isn't one then you're looking at a tough rebuild with little hope of instant success (think Gillispie, Doherty, Crean, Kevin O'neill, Russ Pennell) . When you come in high on confidence, positive, motivated, energetic, and optimistic and if it clicks for you then you can do some damage instantly on the recruiting trail and make deep runs from the get go.

You see Archie in the vein of Billy G. Matt D. or more like Self and his brother? History shows us that there's a good chance that this program is about to make a major leap and I'm sure the recruits can feel it too. For these reasons I think we'll land Carton and end up with a monster class.

T

Good points. There are some differences for some schools in that some like Kentucky turn over their roster every year to the NBA but you definitely see a program building. Same with Kansas and Arizona you could see the improvement and momentum. Looking at UCLA and Alford you can see why he was struggling. I could be wrong but didn't Archie work for his brother early on at Arizona and was in charge of recruiting? I think it's in Archie's blood honestly. I won't be disappointed if we land another monster class this year following up last years but we see a step back in 2020. Fact is if your not putting a ton of players in the NBA you won't have room to bring in a bunch of top recruits plus they will want to play right away and won't be able to compete with Juniors and Seniors. If we can land a 5 star recruit year in and out plus we are adding strong 4 stars that fit the program and we are bringing in the best the state of Indiana has to offer I'll be happy. If we don't win it all that's ok...there is no way we aren't a very competitive team and fun to watch if we are at least bringing in high 4 star recruits from our own state with an occasional 5 star player or two. I don't need UK/Duke level recruiting. I want kids that are talented but represent the state. The basketball quality on the floor will improve if we get our own best kids. Nothing more frustrating then watching a team from Indiana that can't shoot and struggle with the fundamentals and watching all the local talent go elsewhere. It frustrated me to no end with Crean. How can a team in Indiana not be able to shoot the basketball?

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good points. There are some differences for some schools in that some like Kentucky turn over their roster every year to the NBA but you definitely see a program building. Same with Kansas and Arizona you could see the improvement and momentum. Looking at UCLA and Alford you can see why he was struggling. I could be wrong but didn't Archie work for his brother early on at Arizona and was in charge of recruiting? I think it's in Archie's blood honestly. I won't be disappointed if we land another monster class this year following up last years but we see a step back in 2020. Fact is if your not putting a ton of players in the NBA you won't have room to bring in a bunch of top recruits plus they will want to play right away and won't be able to compete with Juniors and Seniors. If we can land a 5 star recruit year in and out plus we are adding strong 4 stars that fit the program and we are bringing in the best the state of Indiana has to offer I'll be happy. If we don't win it all that's ok...there is no way we aren't a very competitive team and fun to watch if we are at least bringing in high 4 star recruits from our own state with an occasional 5 star player or two. I don't need UK/Duke level recruiting. I want kids that are talented but represent the state. The basketball quality on the floor will improve if we get our own best kids. Nothing more frustrating then watching a team from Indiana that can't shoot and struggle with the fundamentals and watching all the local talent go elsewhere. It frustrated me to no end with Crean. How can a team in Indiana not be able to shoot the basketball?

Yeah, Archie did recruit for Sean briefly I believe. It's going to be really fun to see what niche we carve out in the recruiting market. You won't have to worry about UK/Duke level of recruiting because they've got that locked down completely. I don't expect us to have a monster class in 2020 either unless things fall our way with the 2019 class and they play their way into the lottery on top of Smith playing well enough to leave as well. I'm not overly obsessed with winning it all either but I do expect regular elite 8 appearances starting by year 4 and to regularly put players in the first round. We'll get there. I'm just going to try to enjoy this season as best as I can because I think it's the last one without any sort of real expectation on it.

32 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Yeah, Archie did recruit for Sean briefly I believe. It's going to be really fun to see what niche we carve out in the recruiting market. You won't have to worry about UK/Duke level of recruiting because they've got that locked down completely. I don't expect us to have a monster class in 2020 either unless things fall our way with the 2019 class and they play their way into the lottery on top of Smith playing well enough to leave as well. I'm not overly obsessed with winning it all either but I do expect regular elite 8 appearances starting by year 4 and to regularly put players in the first round. We'll get there. I'm just going to try to enjoy this season as best as I can because I think it's the last one without any sort of real expectation on it.

Yes...we are off the radar...but won't be for long. I also wonder if Sean started to lean on some less then honest people after his brother left to keep his recruiting on such a high level. Not saying he did something wrong because we don't know for sure after all that FBI stuff but I could see the advantage of what Archie could bring as an assistant and recruiter....now that he is top dog I don't think he has lost his recruiting touch.

41 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Brian Snow believes that Michigan is the slight leader. He expects a decision to come out potentially this weekend, middle of next week at the latest.

An early decision sounds good to me. Even if we miss out on him, then it frees up any "hold" on that particular scholly.

57 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Brian Snow believes that Michigan is the slight leader. He expects a decision to come out potentially this weekend, middle of next week at the latest.

Sounds like the Ohio State visit is just a formality then. Like he already has his mind made up but will listen to them because he respects their program. Otherwise why would he already know he will make an announcement so soon. If he was truly undecided he wouldn't know how long after the Ohio St. visit it might take to decide between them and others. Just my opinion but I think he is a heavy lean towards Michigan or Indiana and he is just making sure OSU doesn't blow him away.

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sounds like the Ohio State visit is just a formality then. Like he already has his mind made up but will listen to them because he respects their program. Otherwise why would he already know he will make an announcement so soon. If he was truly undecided he wouldn't know how long after the Ohio St. visit it might take to decide between them and others. Just my opinion but I think he is a heavy lean towards Michigan or Indiana and he is just making sure OSU doesn't blow him away.

Absolutely. It’s a 50/50 battle between Michigan and IU. Hoping Archie can pull off this feat

34 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

If I was to guess off of crystal ball predictions and Carton’s connection with Michigan assistant coach, I’d say Michigan is where he ends up, 60/40. OSU not really a player.

Sounds right to me.  I think it's UM but it wouldn't shock me if he came here.

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm curious, are we coveting a kid from Iowa (Carton) over what will be a second year kid from Indiana (Phinesee)?  Thoughts?

Take a moment to read TDH's article just above. He talks about Carton and Phin being on the court together. I really don't think this is something that we need to worry about.

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Want to believe DJ will pick IU?  Here is why he just might.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/d-j-carton-why-he-would-choose-indiana/

I just want to say I truly look forward to your daily articles. The page is saved to my favorites and I forward articles to my brothers almost daily now. Your work is fantastic! Thank you very much!

Archived