DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

OSU is sketchy, I'd rather have Newman anyway.

Warning conspiracy theory post below!!!!!!

i do not have any intel or anything it’s just something running through my mind!!!

withon one day DJ Carton commits to Ohio state the day after Tre Mann reopens his commitment #wishfulthinking

Now we know why Holtman made a kiss and goodbye to Carton on Carton's recent visit.  Had him locked up. So much to what we had thought.  Makes sense.  Kid told him he was coming to OSU.  No need to spend more time with him.

I'll admit.  Total surprise to me.

Best of luck to DJ.

Kinda bummed about losing out on this one since I think it could have triggered other commitments. Oh well, next up. Good luck to the kid - he seems like a quality person and handled his recruitment with a lot of class and poise. Go. Get. Newman! 

Here is Something to think about after reading what DJ had to say about committing to Ohio state. He said he hung out with Ohio state players and felt apart of the family right away. I know he hung out with IU's freshmen and maybe it was possible that they were not nearly as friendly as OSU players since most of them are Indiana boys and one of their boys (RP) would be competing with DJ if he came. Also from his comments it sounds like Holtman promised him the keys to the offense as soon as he walked through the door and I don't think Indiana or Michigan could offer that and stay true to that statement with the depth that is at the PG position. 

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

Kinda bummed about losing out on this one since I think it could have triggered other commitments. Oh well, next up. Good luck to the kid - he seems like a quality person and handled his recruitment with a lot of class and poise. Go. Get. Newman! 

Yep. Very surprised. I’m a little worried about our PG position. Durham and Green are far from natural point guards. I love Phinese but if he goes down I’m not sure we look much different then we did this year with Newkirk and Johnson. I was really hoping to land a natural point guard. Plus Carton was bigger guard so he could guard twos and we play with both on the court. I was expecting him to go somewhere else....just not OSU. Holtmann is going to be a tough recruiter...not only will he be in the game with Indiana boys but now the out of state guys too.

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Here is Something to think about after reading what DJ had to say about committing to Ohio state. He said he hung out with Ohio state players and felt apart of the family right away. I know he hung out with IU's freshmen and maybe it was possible that they were not nearly as friendly as OSU players since most of them are Indiana boys and one of their boys (RP) would be competing with DJ if he came. Also from his comments it sounds like Holtman promised him the keys to the offense as soon as he walked through the door and I don't think Indiana or Michigan could offer that and stay true to that statement with the depth that is at the PG position. 

It stinks to lose out on him but I am really not too worried about losing out on him.  I honestly think that Robert will be solidifying his grip on that spot heading into his sophomore year.  I think getting Newman/Franklin, TJD, and Brooks should be our priority.  That is still the inside out approach that Miller talked about and a combo guard would be good to fill in as a backup at the 1 or 2.  

We don't have to freak out over recruiting losses anymore.  The program is in steady hands.  I will enjoy watching Indiana beat DJ during his time at OSU.  ;)

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It stinks to lose out on him but I am really not too worried about losing out on him.  I honestly think that Robert will be solidifying his grip on that spot heading into his sophomore year.  I think getting Newman/Franklin, TJD, and Brooks should be our priority.  That is still the inside out approach that Miller talked about and a combo guard would be good to fill in as a backup at the 1 or 2.  

We don't have to freak out over recruiting losses anymore.  The program is in steady hands.  I will enjoy watching Indiana beat DJ during his time at OSU.  ;)

Spot on!

20 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I wonder how many pages are discussing DJ Carton on the collection of Buckeye boards.

IU is a special basketball community but OSU has a good basketball legacy too. He can make it to the NBA just as easy there as here. Most of these kids aren’t concerned with creating a legacy in college...it’s just a layover to their ultimate goals. He seems like a good kid..I’m not embarrassed I was wrong...because clearly everyone including the experts were too.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

IU is a special basketball community but OSU has a good basketball legacy too. He can make it to the NBA just as easy there as here. Most of these kids aren’t concerned with creating a legacy in college...it’s just a layover to their ultimate goals. He seems like a good kid..I’m not embarrassed I was wrong...because clearly everyone including the experts were too.

My apologies.  I think you understood what I was implying.  No doubt he or other recruits can make it to the NBA at other schools just as well.  I also wasnt trying to take a shot at the OSU fan base.  My point was more to the degree of how much discussion was driven by the passionate fan base here as opposed to elsewhere.  Next up.

Archived