DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

I'm actually shocked. This one came out of nowhere. I guess kudos to Ohio St. All signs pointed to Michigan for weeks. If I'm them I'm asking wtf do we have to do.

PS....what type of 5 star guard nets 100 followers after an announcement. Good luck playing hoops at a football school!

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...we all could have made that prediction when he made it.

Really easy to make a prediction almost after the fact.  Gotta give it to Meyer.  He missed on it.  But did not make a last second prediction, ala Rabby.... when most were calling it for Michigan.  

In the end.... the Jeffries rule applies.  Go to bed telling people one thing, only to wake up the next morning and committing to a different school..

Bottom line.... the kid could not lose.  Three really great programs to choose from, with three equally great HC's.  Just was a surprise how it turned out, after so much speculation that it would have turned out other wise.  Best of luck to DJ.   He held all the cards. And played the ones he felt were best for him. Can't fault him for that.

Now.... it's time for Archie to get back to locking up the borders, and get Newman on board. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Guess the concern that Holtman was at Peach Jam during the OV was a bit overblown 

I think now, in retrospect, that tweet from the Dispatch writer referencing Peach Jam was informed and dripping with knowing sarcasm.

30 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Guess the concern that Holtman was at Peach Jam during the OV was a bit overblown 

I said as much. He made a visit there already and I also mentioned that I’m sure they were on the same page with him leaving. Anytime the group agrees on something is a time you should question it. #contrarionism101

1 hour ago, PoHoosier said:

My apologies.  I think you understood what I was implying.  No doubt he or other recruits can make it to the NBA at other schools just as well.  I also wasnt trying to take a shot at the OSU fan base.  My point was more to the degree of how much discussion was driven by the passionate fan base here as opposed to elsewhere.  Next up.

No need to apologize. I’d say outside of Indiana, Michigan state, Michigan...Ohio State is right there in basketball legacy. Ohio produces some great basketball players and Holtman has OSU right there at the top of the league. I know it’s a football school but it is probably the premier athletics school in the country. Well funded and lots of great athletes...which yes perhaps can cause on specific program to not be recognized over the rest despite their success.

56 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I think now, in retrospect, that tweet from the Dispatch writer referencing Peach Jam was informed and dripping with knowing sarcasm.

Yes...clearly insiders in that organization knew Carton had decided. I will say hats off they kept it under wraps because nobody even the crystal ballers saw this coming a week ago.

Bunch of Michigan fans giving him a hard time on instagram. They are outnumbering the Ohio Stste fans 2:1. Kinda sad really.  I know everyone is different but If I was big time in basketball why would I wanna go to a football school? Same can be said about IU, Kansas, and Kentucky you don't see big time football players going to a basketball school. I would wanna go to a school that crazy about my sport and super invested. 

I also saw where he deleted his IU pics off his page but kept the Michigan stuff?? Can't really figure that one out either. 

I’m disappointed we lost out on Carton, but the response is surprising.  Archie and staff have been sound in every way since being hired.   This is not the first recruit we’ve lost (Garland is one example) nor will it be the last.  The on-court product this upcoming season will make today a distant memory.  Further, we are still in the hunt for a nice haul in 2019.  

After taking a short break, I log on to see this news.  I'm admittedly both surprised and disappointed - but definitely not devastated.  Carton was my preference between him and Newman, but I'm glad he made his decision without all of the theatrics and drawing it out for months.  From what I've read in this thread it sounds like immediate playing time may have been a factor for him.  I am cautiously bullish on Robert P., he seems like a very underrated player.

One final thought: this is another example of how crystal ball predictions are far from reliable.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

After taking a short break, I log on to see this news.  I'm admittedly both surprised and disappointed - but definitely not devastated.  Carton was my preference between him and Newman, but I'm glad he made his decision without all of the theatrics and drawing it out for months.  From what I've read in this thread it sounds like immediate playing time may have been a factor for him.  I am cautiously bullish on Robert P., he seems like a very underrated player.

One final thought: this is another example of how crystal ball predictions are far from reliable.

You made me think a little deeper about the CB. On the whole, they are unreliable, certainly up to the final whim of an individual. People are not always reliable, so too will be predicting their actions.

However, sometimes, a *person* and the information from and around them is reliable. It’s just so reliant upon who it is and who they have around them.

It all makes for fun reading in the meantime. The off-season of college basketball is interminable...I’m glad the recruiting game is at least interesting.

Archived