DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

Something I find noteworthy about Carton's decision is his statement about the atmosphere around the existing OSU players.  I know of a player we were looking at that chose Butler while Holtmann  was there (Joey Brunk).  The player cited the "family feeling" around the team as a major factor.  It just goes to show the importance of the culture around a program and how much a coach defines it. 

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Something I find noteworthy about Carton's decision is his statement about the atmosphere around the existing OSU players.  I know of a player we were looking at that chose Butler while Holtmann  was there (Joey Brunk).  The player cited the "family feeling" around the team as a major factor.  It just goes to show the importance of the culture around a program and how much a coach defines it. 

I agree. I also think its important to be balanced in your recruiting. I know we all want every Indiana High School all star to be on our team but we have to look at the fact that having such a boy's club thing might be off putting to outsiders. Hard to feel welcome when everyone is part of the Indiana clique. I don't think Archie will fall into that...nor is it possible to get every Indiana kid when you have great basketball programs like Notre Dame, Butler, and yes Purdue (don't puke) in the mix year in and out. Guys like Race and Hunter and company will be just as important as Phinesee and Anderson because while these Indiana kids play a lot together on AAU and high school ball we still need these out of state kids to feel welcome in the program. I think having guys like Victor there at the Peach Jam does just that...so hopefully we can continue to build an inclusive culture at IU and have our stars talk keep coming back and promoting the University.

Missed a lot being gone for the weekend. Had a feeling DJ was close to committing.  From his perspective, OSU is probably the most attractive due to the immediate playing time. Maybe he realized Phinisee was better than him on his visit here? DJ was a luxury- not a necessity.

What this tells me is IU, Michigan, OSU and MSU are going to be tough - on the recruiting trail and on the court- in the next few years.  

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I agree. I also think its important to be balanced in your recruiting. I know we all want every Indiana High School all star to be on our team but we have to look at the fact that having such a boy's club thing might be off putting to outsiders. Hard to feel welcome when everyone is part of the Indiana clique. I don't think Archie will fall into that...nor is it possible to get every Indiana kid when you have great basketball programs like Notre Dame, Butler, and yes Purdue (don't puke) in the mix year in and out. Guys like Race and Hunter and company will be just as important as Phinesee and Anderson because while these Indiana kids play a lot together on AAU and high school ball we still need these out of state kids to feel welcome in the program. I think having guys like Victor there at the Peach Jam does just that...so hopefully we can continue to build an inclusive culture at IU and have our stars talk keep coming back and promoting the University.

Yes, and sometimes it's just what players a recruit meshes with.  I, too, don't believe we'll have an Indiana clique problem.  Essentially this 'new class' is composed of 3 in-state guys and 3 out of state guys (if you include Race).

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Give it rest guys. A 5 star recruit chose a school where he was guaranteed to start and has a better program for his field of study. This is not on archie. 

I haven't seen much blaming of CAM (other than a certain new member, whose been known to do such things on another site).

On 7/15/2018 at 8:31 AM, rico said:

Ok, I know what we got.  We got Green, Durham, and now Phin.  All can play the point.  I am pretty sure UM has a highly touted PG coming in next season.  I have no idea about OSU.

Not sour grapes by me, but this may have been the most compelling reason he chose OSU.  He may have been assured the keys to the car.  The reason he didn’t pick IU could have been anything, playing off the ball some, other ballhandlers, etc.  Someone might say, “he’d be the best, so he would have nothing to worry about because he’d be featured at IU too.”  That may all be true, but with Devonte, RP and Al around as experienced players, he may have not gotten 30 mins controlling the point, as he may have to play off the ball some at IU.  He may not have wanted that and it could be as simple as that.  

Isaiah has talked about his time at IU.  He was always a point.  At IU he was too to a great extent, but he admits he argued with Coach Knight because Coach put him off the ball some at IU. Later, Zeke said he saw the wisdom in that insofar as it was actually an important piece in his development and skill set.  My guess is Carton may have just wanted to be a point guard, full stop, and not operate without the ball.  

Its just interesting he picked the one school with the least amount of competition at his position.  

On 7/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, rico said:

Ok, I know what we got.  We got Green, Durham, and now Phin.  All can play the point.  I am pretty sure UM has a highly touted PG coming in next season.  I have no idea about OSU.

They have CJ Jackson and no one else. Which was part of the reason they went out and grabbed Dakich last year because of the lack in PG depth. Jackson will be a senior when Carton shows up but so either they'll make room and move Jackson back to the combo guard/shooting guard spot or he'll play behind him for a year but OSU makes a lot of sense from a position depth perspective. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

They have CJ Jackson and no one else. Which was part of the reason they went out and grabbed Dakich last year because of the lack in PG depth. Jackson will be a senior when Carton shows up but so either they'll make room and move Jackson back to the combo guard/shooting guard spot or he'll play behind him for a year but OSU makes a lot of sense from a position depth perspective. 

Thinking of C.J. Walker, the Indianapolis kid/Fla. St. transfer?  C.J. Jackson has played a year of junior college and two years at Ohio St., so this year will be his last.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I am pretty sure they will have CJ Walker a transfer from Fla. St next year

Archived