DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

I don't think landing Carton would be that problematic. I could see having Carton & Phinisee share time at PG, then move Green and Anderson/ Hunter to SG for just next year (saving the starting SF spot for Brooks/Watford). By 2020 you can land Trey Galloway and by 2021 you could get the youngest Blackmon. I know I'm looking way ahead but it would be nice to have two solid PGs already locked up when we have potential at SG down the road. 

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I don't think landing Carton would be that problematic. I could see having Carton & Phinisee share time at PG, then move Green and Anderson/ Hunter to SG for just next year (saving the starting SF spot for Brooks/Watford). By 2020 you can land Trey Galloway and by 2021 you could get the youngest Blackmon. I know I'm looking way ahead but it would be nice to have two solid PGs already locked up when we have potential at SG down the road. 

edit: nevermind 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Or he could dodge all those scenerios and have the job at a very good program like UM from day 1. I’d have him in a heartbeat don’t get me wrong but my scenerio seems to fit with who his favorite is at the moment. Now if DG doesn’t shine and RP doesn’t play amazing then that changes everything.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Or he could dodge all those scenerios and have the job at a very good program like UM from day 1. I’d have him in a heartbeat don’t get me wrong but my scenerio seems to fit with who his favorite is at the moment. Now if DG doesn’t shine and RP doesn’t play amazing then that changes everything.

Yep. Been my concern since his first visit. What situation looks more enticing. Potential of sharing with DG and RP or going to Michigan and immediate playing time? Playing time reigns supreme. 

I’m just not sure I see Green playing consistently enough next season to lock down the point guard spot full-time going forward.  It can be hard to fix issues that are between the ears.  Regardless, Phinisee, Green, and Durham will make up a pretty thin guard rotation both next year and in 2019.  I think we for sure need to get another guard in 2019.  Is Carton a pure PG, or more of a combo guard?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Been my concern since his first visit. What situation looks more enticing. Potential of sharing with DG and RP or going to Michigan and immediate playing time? Playing time reigns supreme. 

He wouldn't automatically start at PG for UM either since Simpson will be a senior when he comes in.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

He wouldn't automatically start at PG for UM either since Simpson will be a senior when he comes in.

Yep..but competing with a Soph and another upperclassmen for playing time vs waiting 1 year and being handed the keys (potentially) are 2 different scenarios. I can see why Michigan would be appealing. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m just not sure I see Green playing consistently enough next season to lock down the point guard spot full-time going forward.  It can be hard to fix issues that are between the ears.  Regardless, Phinisee, Green, and Durham will make up a pretty thin guard rotation both next year and in 2019.  I think we for sure need to get another guard in 2019.  Is Carton a pure PG, or more of a combo guard?

Full court press on Lecque saying we need you to play like Romeo.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

+1

We're not going to get DJ Carton if our staff is telling him we got a spot at 2 guard position. 

That's just what I'd be telling him if I was Holtmann or Beilein.  "This kid Phinesee he's really good.  He's an Indiana kid.  He'll be a year ahead of you.  He's an Indiana kid.  He's a pure PG.  He's an Indiana kid."

I have the utmost confidence in Archie but I think this one will be a tough sell.

5 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Those quotes are great news for us. I still think it’s an uphill battle but man....this staff is a collective beast and and a wrecking unit right now. 

(I think it’s a long shot and yet DJ says they text him everyday lol.)

We all also thought Romeo was a long shot.... until he wasn’t! 😎 We’ll need at least one strong guard in the 19 class.

I'm still thinking Michigan or Iowa on this one. No other reason except for more immediate playing time. With that said...Archie has somewhat shocked me in the first 13 months so what's another top 30 player at a position we'll have 2 returning players at. Haha..

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm still thinking Michigan or Iowa on this one. No other reason except for more immediate playing time. With that said...Archie has somewhat shocked me in the first 13 months so what's another top 30 player at a position we'll have 2 returning players at. Haha..

IF he goes to Iowa he's not interested in playing any defense 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

IF he goes to Iowa he's not interested in playing any defense 

Yep. Family pipeline there though and it's an hour from home. One thing that might help us...he wants to go into sports broadcasting after playing days are over. Anyone know of a school has a pretty good sports journalism/broadcasting /media program for undergrads? 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Family pipeline there though and it's an hour from home. One thing that might help us...he wants to go into sports broadcasting after playing days are over. Anyone know of a school has a pretty good sports journalism/broadcasting /media program for undergrads? 

Didn't know there was a family pipeline. 

Archived