DJ Carton Commits to Ohio State

KDB

DJ Carton, a 2019 4 star PG who just moved up 83 spots to #38 in the 247Sports 2019 Player Rankings has scheduled a visit to Indiana for the IU-Purdue game on the 27th.

Here are some quotes about IU from Carton in a new Rabjohns piece.

• “They said I’m one of their top priorities and top targets”
  • “I’m glad we are able to get there for a good game. It should be fun in Assembly Hall. We’ll be down there this weekend. Me and my family, we can’t wait to be there.”
  • “They think I have the qualities to be a point guard at the next level. They think I fit well in their style by the way I play, how I can speed up and slow down, my smarts for the game, how I’m always looking to get other players involved but yet I can score if I need to,”
  • “I know Indiana has a rich tradition, full of point guards. It’s an honor just to have them want me to be a part of their program.”

Here is a link to his 247Sports player profile: https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Carton-46040438

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very smart of Archie.  Green shows some flashes but he seems to be more of a Crean guy -- careless turnovers, and I'm not sure he has the capability of breaking this habit.  I'm not ready to write Durham off yet either, but he has been struggling big time the last couple of months - he has no jump shot.  Quite frankly, the near future of our back court is probably not on this current team,  it's Phinisee, (Langford?) and any other guy such as DJ Carton that Archie is actively pursuing 

Here's what I can share on this one.  Really shot up this past few months in rankings. Lefty PG. Dad played in SF Giants farm system and his first love was baseball. Great natural athlete at all sports. He grew up in my hometown but we were a football town and father moved him to Bettendorf which is a pipeline to Iowa.

Good friends with an Iowa verbal named Wieskamp. Seems to be wanting to take his time on recruiting process. Grandfather played at Iowa. All signs point to Iowa on this one but it's early and my friends all have said the same. Parents will move for whatever the best option is for him. Doesn't have to be an hour down the road at Iowa.

Wisconsin was in on him early. Probably because of Happ playing in same general area. 

54 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

There will be no whoopin. I assume you’ll give me IU +10?

Yes sir. Trust me I want the Hoosiers to win but I just don't think they have the horses this year. My fingers are crossed that something great happens for the Hoosiers and they are the ones doing the whoopin. 

15 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Yes sir. Trust me I want the Hoosiers to win but I just don't think they have the horses this year. My fingers are crossed that something great happens for the Hoosiers and they are the ones doing the whoopin. 

Not gonna argue that we will win, I just think people sell us short in this game, looking solely at talent vs talent. There's a lot of other factors that I think make this a close game. I'll guess we are 5 point underdogs.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, FKIM01 said:

Seriously...how often does it happen where  recruit picks a school and signs, only to see something very negative happen at said school after he signed.  Would you want to be a signed Michigan State recruit right now?

Probably a very wise decision to wait.

What are the odds their signees could get releases?

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What are the odds their signees could get releases?

Less than 1% could get outright release. I think though once NCAA gets together in February the new rules on transfers will allow most to move and play right away. As long as academic standards are met. 

Carton in the Rabjohns piece called the IU visit "special" ... 

It was a 2 day unofficial. They ate with the staff, walked around campus, talked basketball, and got to watch shoot-around to see how we prepared for games. He says, "We're definitely going up there again this spring or summer."

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Carton in the Rabjohns piece called the IU visit "special" ... 

It was a 2 day unofficial. They ate with the staff, walked around campus, talked basketball, and got to watch shoot-around to see how we prepared for games. He says, "We're definitely going up there again this spring or summer."

Good to hear! I was curious if we would get some feedback from this one. Glad to see he saw a glimpse of Assembly Hall on tilt.....and even though we lost he was able to get a feel for the build up, the game, post game and feel of campus life in Bloomington for a couple of days. I like the word definitely. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good to hear! I was curious if we would get some feedback from this one. Glad to see he saw a glimpse of Assembly Hall on tilt.....and even though we lost he was able to get a feel for the build up, the game, post game and feel of campus life in Bloomington for a couple of days. I like the word definitely. 

Definitely......

On 1/26/2018 at 6:53 AM, Hoosier987 said:

This is very smart of Archie.  Green shows some flashes but he seems to be more of a Crean guy -- careless turnovers, and I'm not sure he has the capability of breaking this habit.  I'm not ready to write Durham off yet either, but he has been struggling big time the last couple of months - he has no jump shot.  Quite frankly, the near future of our back court is probably not on this current team,  it's Phinisee, (Langford?) and any other guy such as DJ Carton that Archie is actively pursuing 

I don't think Carton has anything to do with Green. Green will be a senior when/if Carton arrives to campus, Durham a junior.  Carton comes in as a freshman to push, learn, develop under Green, RP, AD. Who knows, maybe he even redshirts. Then, when Green graduates... we have a Junior RP, Senior AD and sophomore Carton. 

This is fantastic roster management from Archie, IMO.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

This is fantastic roster management from Archie, IMO.

I agree and something that we’ve sorely lacked in years past.  There were some years where we had all of the pieces, but those have been few and far between.  This years team is a perfect example.  I’m excited to see how our rosters will be constructed in the future.  

30 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I agree and something that we’ve sorely lacked in years past.  There were some years where we had all of the pieces, but those have been few and far between.  This years team is a perfect example.  I’m excited to see how our rosters will be constructed in the future.  

Agree. Additionally it's ok to have more than 1 good PG, right? Haha...

Recruiting should have plan A, B, and C for each defined position. Once we get to final roster a well constructed team should always have A, B...and sometimes C. I remember Archie saying at intro presser that he wants our scholarships to be gold and something along the lines of rotating around 8-9 guys is his preference for games. 

52 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Correct - how this team was put together, I will never know. This is the least talented team we’ve had since the 08 season. 

Archived