G-league and overseas $ compared to NIL

• Madison22 changed the title to G-league and overseas $ compared to NIL
2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

With all the NIL talk, I searched for G-league and overseas salaries.  Below is the best source I found that fits with multiple other sources.

G-league:  average around $37,000.  (Note:  perhaps this is low because many contracts are short term, pro-rated to the NBA's minimum contract.  One article said $7,000 per week is common.)  If any HSN poster can clear this up, it would be nice.

Overseas:  average between $80,000 and $200,000.  This varies greatly among countries.  It's possible to make $1 million or more.  That's not a given, though.  Also, if you want money, avoid Iceland and Ireland (they both have teams!).

If accurate, this link indicates that a six-figure NIL deal in college is more than competitive with anything other than the NBA (average salary around $8 million or so).

https://sport-net.org/how-much-money-do-overseas-players-make/

Love the info!!!!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

For anyone who follows obscure basketball, the Pully Lausanne Foxes played the Lions de Geneve last season in Iceland. 

Players average $300 per month salary.

These games sound like a blast.  The Foxes guard shot 43% from three for the season.

https://www.proballers.com/api/getTeamLogo?id=639&width=160        https://www.proballers.com/api/getTeamLogo?id=635&width=160

$300 per month!? lmao

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Players in Iceland average $300 per month salary.

These games sound fun.  The Foxes guard shot 43% from three for the season.

https://www.proballers.com/api/getTeamLogo?id=639&width=160        https://www.proballers.com/api/getTeamLogo?id=635&width=160

Are you saying that the Pully-Lausanne and Geneva players make $300 per month OR that players based in Iceland make $300 per month. 

$300 is basically one meal for 4 in a decent restaurant in Switzerland. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Are you saying that the Pully-Lausanne and Geneva players make $300 per month OR that players based in Iceland make $300 per month. 

$300 is basically one meal for 4 in a decent restaurant in Switzerland. 

Good catch!  I goofed up the logos.  Iceland players average $300 per month.

The logos are Swiss. 

One interview says "Swedish league salaries will range anywhere from $500 a month (“For a guy who wants to prove he can play, most times while coming back from an injury,”), to a high of about $200,000 for a premier player.

While doing the first post, I found a lot of conflicting information in multiple links.  I tried to keep it short.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I'm shamelessly bumping my own thread in response to some rumors about Nijel Pack being offered $250,000 to $500,000 NIL money.  That's a LOT.

If this is only half true, staying in college with NIL is a smart choice for many players, vs overseas or the G-league.

We may be looking at a 5-year window of a college basketball resurgence in quality.  With every player getting the extra year to go along with more and more stud players choosing to stay in college it is going to be really really good.

Now if the Big 10 could just fix their refereeing situation they could prosper from this as much as anyone.  

Makes me wonder if nil will be more beneficial for college basketball than college football.  It's a lot easier to buy a real quality starting five then it is to fill in your trenches and add in a bunch of skill players, five good guys versus 20 good guys.

• Like 1

I posted this on another site and I may be in the minority here, but I actually think NIL is good for college basketball on-court product.  I used to always complaint that we’d never see another Patrick Ewing or someone play 3-4 years in college.  

But now, the NIL is actually keeping pretty good guys in college. Prior to this, kids were considering G league or Europe or hoping to be a free agent if they didn’t get drafted. Now, more kids will be playing in the NCAA and should make the teams stronger. 

This should help college b-ball as the talent pool is bigger and retained. Off the court, it’s free agency … but was it before too? 

my only current complaint is the portal. And it’s complicated to try and fix it. A lot of scenarios. But they could start with some general parameters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I posted this on another site and I may be in the minority here, but I actually think NIL is good for college basketball on-court product.  I used to always complaint that we’d never see another Patrick Ewing or someone play 3-4 years in college.  

But now, the NIL is actually keeping pretty good guys in college. Prior to this, kids were considering G league or Europe or hoping to be a free agent if they didn’t get drafted. Now, more kids will be playing in the NCAA and should make the teams stronger. 

This should help college b-ball as the talent pool is bigger and retained. Off the court, it’s free agency … but was it before too? 

my only current complaint is the portal. And it’s complicated to try and fix it. A lot of scenarios. But they could start with some general parameters.

I think we see some restrictions put back on transfers with NIL being what it is, and I wouldn’t disagree. I think transfers without a sit-out year should be limited to graduating seniors playing a 5th year, coaching changes or other extenuating circumstances that would require an exception. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think we see some restrictions put back on transfers with NIL being what it is, and I wouldn’t disagree. I think transfers without a sit-out year should be limited to graduating seniors playing a 5th year, coaching changes or other extenuating circumstances that would require an exception. 

I’m on board with portal restrictions too. Like you can’t just leave just because without at least sitting a year. But If your coach gets fired, should you need to sit out?   Also, I feel for Dawson Garcia and there should probably be medical waivers, but he’s on his third school in 3 years.  

• Like 1

Just now, Bustout said:

I’m on board with portal restrictions too. Like you can’t just leave just because without at least sitting a year. But If your coach gets fired, should you need to sit out?   Also, I feel for Dawson Garcia and there should probably be medical waivers, but he’s on his third school in 3 years.  

That’s one I’d make an exception for: head coaching changes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Interesting move here, going to Overtime Elite but not taking a salary. Will earn NIL instead and keep his college eligibility.

Really good move here. On a side note....they mentioned Tim Nevius in the article. As good as they come in terms of sports law. He used to speak at IU about 6-7 years ago. People were always blown away. I'm not saying Theo Epstein like....but really close in the basketball world. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA just came out with rule clarification saying Boosters or companies may not contact recruits, families or handlers with NIL deals to get them to attend certain schools. They a;se said they may go after rule breakers of the last 10 months but would more than likely focus on future cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

NCAA just came out with rule clarification saying Boosters or companies may not contact recruits, families or handlers with NIL deals to get them to attend certain schools. They a;se said they may go after rule breakers of the last 10 months but would more than likely focus on future cases.

Good, but believe when I see it

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If broken rules MAKE money for the NCAA, no problem.  Give North Carolina and Kansas the National Championship trophy.

But the idea that players could make money without the NCAA being in control or getting its cut . . . NOW they're all about enforcement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

If broken rules MAKE money for the NCAA, no problem.  Give North Carolina and Kansas the National Championship trophy.

But the idea that players could make money without the NCAA being in control or getting its cut . . . NOW they're all about enforcement.

How is this a problem for you? Do you want the best players going to the boosters with the most money to throw around? Because it won't be IU. NIL was meant to help kids have some money in school not team building.

• Like 2

I just read the guidance. I'll echo almost verbatim what Rabby tweeted out 20 minutes ago. Lots of "may" and "could"....used. Classic NCAA. I've used the phrase often on here. Some are so far behind they actually think their leading the race. That's the NCAA. Totally lost control of a manageable situation about 3-4 years ago. 

Now? You'll have weak AD's who didn't plan for this years ago citing the other schools are winning because of NIL. Guess what gang? Been going on since Wooden/Gilbert. Now it's just in the open. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Indykev said:

How is this a problem for you? Do you want the best players going to the boosters with the most money to throw around? Because it won't be IU. NIL was meant to help kids have some money in school not team building.

The stipend was meant to help kids have some money in school. NIL wasn't in the NCAA's plans at all.

NIL is the result of state governments telling the NCAA they can no longer prevent athletes from participating in the market. But enforcing that restriction is a large reason why the NCAA exists at all. They needed to respond to affirm their relevance. They did so by relying on the old language of the past. "Booster" isn't a term that has any legal definition outside of what the NCAA conjured up when building its model of amateurism. Why would any legislature consider such a label sufficient to prevent someone contracting with an athlete? 

These players have value, and it exists well before they step on campus. Think of the crowds following the Ball family around at AAU events, or even Gabe Cupps' massive social media following because he's tight with Lebron. Cupps has nearly 400K followers on Instagram, there's a real market benefit to his representation. That doesn't go away just because someone at the other end of the deal bought a couple bumper stickers back before Gabe was even born.

The NCAA needs to wholly reimagine what the college athletics model should be. But it's made them so much money for so long that they'd rather do everything they can to maintain the status quo. NIL has been coming since at least September 2019, when California passed the first state law. Almost three years later, the NCAA is still trying to hold on to all they know.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

The stipend was meant to help kids have some money in school. NIL wasn't in the NCAA's plans at all.

NIL is the result of state governments telling the NCAA they can no longer prevent athletes from participating in the market. But enforcing that restriction is a large reason why the NCAA exists at all. They needed to respond to affirm their relevance. They did so by relying on the old language of the past. "Booster" isn't a term that has any legal definition outside of what the NCAA conjured up when building its model of amateurism. Why would any legislature consider such a label sufficient to prevent someone contracting with an athlete? 

These players have value, and it exists well before they step on campus. Think of the crowds following the Ball family around at AAU events, or even Gabe Cupps' massive social media following because he's tight with Lebron. Cupps has nearly 400K followers on Instagram, there's a real market benefit to his representation. That doesn't go away just because someone at the other end of the deal bought a couple bumper stickers back before Gabe was even born.

The NCAA needs to wholly reimagine what the college athletics model should be. But it's made them so much money for so long that they'd rather do everything they can to maintain the status quo. NIL has been coming since at least September 2019, when California passed the first state law. Almost three years later, the NCAA is still trying to hold on to all they know.

The NCAA is trying to not be a semi-pro league with money flying all over the place from bag men , if you don't like the term booster. I have no issue with that. Like I have no issue with kids making money off of their NIL once they sign with a school. Pay for play will kill college sports forever and if anyone can't see that they have their heads up their backsides. What Miami was doing needed to be stopped. NIL should never be a part of recruiting in any form.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The NCAA is trying to not be a semi-pro league with money flying all over the place from bag men , if you don't like the term booster. I have no issue with that. Like I have no issue with kids making money off of their NIL once they sign with a school. Pay for play will kill college sports forever and if anyone can't see that they have their heads up their backsides. What Miami was doing needed to be stopped. NIL should never be a part of recruiting in any form.

But how are you going to stop it?

Christ, the NCAA couldn't find the bagmen when breadcrumbs led right to their front door...and even with overwhelming evidence didn't do anything...

Miami sits there and has an LOI...Gets it signed, then in comes Ruiz with the NIL money...how are you going to stop that?

My own opinion is the NCAA is gonna go the way of the horse and buggy, and federal legislators conspiring with the big conferences to split up the money...