G-league and overseas $ compared to NIL

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But how are you going to stop it?

Christ, the NCAA couldn't find the bagmen when breadcrumbs led right to their front door...and even with overwhelming evidence didn't do anything...

Miami sits there and has an LOI...Gets it signed, then in comes Ruiz with the NIL money...how are you going to stop that?

My own opinion is the NCAA is gonna go the way of the horse and buggy, and federal legislators conspiring with the big conferences to split up the money...

Ask Olk,ST. how the NCAA dealt with it. Kansas is coming, 3rd party hearing it, slowing down the process. A couple more will feel it. Its on the schools to stop it, like always but when caught ban them. Throw an SMU punishment at them. EDIT...i have no issue with RUIZ after the LOI  is signed. Its paying them to sign the LOI is the issue. Talking NIL  before signing is the issue.

Edited by Indykev

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Ask Olk,ST. how the NCAA dealt with it. Kansas is coming, 3rd party hearing it, slowing down the process. A couple more will feel it. Its on the schools to stop it, like always but when caught ban them. Throw an SMU punishment at them.

Sure, they've put a few in the sidelines, but what about the UNC bogus classes? That was substantiated beyond any doubt and nothing happened. Zion Williamson's family and their housing situation? 

And I honestly believe that the NCAA thought they screwed up putting the "death penalty" on SMU. By the time they did anything, all of the players and coaches who benefitted we're gone. The innocent took the biggest hit there.

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

EDIT...i have no issue with RUIZ after the LOI  is signed. Its paying them to sign the LOI is the issue. Talking NIL  before signing is the issue.

It's semantics...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article260698217.html

"Shortly after his signing was announced, Life Wallet owner John H. Ruiz posted on Twitter that his company had inked Pack to an $800,000 NIL deal that includes a new car."

Like I said, university official on the left with an LOI, and Ruiz on the right with the deal paperwork.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Indykev said:

ND Coach Mike Brey to coaches on NIL and the portal, "The last time I looked we made pretty good money, shut up and adjust." Didnt mean to quote you IUFLA.

I read that same article about an hour ago and was going to post it...and, he's right. It's not going to go back to the way it was, so coaches, players, and admin have to adjust...

And fans will either stay and watch or find something else to do...

I pretty much quit watching the NBA and NFL for personal reasons...and it doesn't look like they're suffering much. I'm a live and let live guy. If the college game ever starts turning me off, I'll simply stop watching...

• Like 2

The best punishment to control $ is ironically to punish the schools with $ sanctions. I'm not talking some bogus small fine...I'm talking the school not receiving any of the TV $ until their punishment is up.

For example. Each Big Ten School gets $50M or so each year. Make them forfeit that. That will straighten things up real quick. 

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I read that same article about an hour ago and was going to post it...and, he's right. It's not going to go back to the way it was, so coaches, players, and admin have to adjust...

And fans will either stay and watch or find something else to do...

I pretty much quit watching the NBA and NFL for personal reasons...and it doesn't look like they're suffering much. I'm a live and let live guy. If the college game ever starts turning me off, I'll simply stop watching...

I think what happens is that when a sport begins alienating fans, they (fans) lose interest or walk away unless their team is winning.  I, too, have lost all interest in the NBA & MLB and I doubt I'll ever care again.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The best punishment to control $ is ironically to punish the schools with $ sanctions. I'm not talking some bogus small fine...I'm talking the school not receiving any of the TV $ until their punishment is up.

For example. Each Big Ten School gets $50M or so each year. Make them forfeit that. That will straighten things up real quick. 

So who's going to get that money instead the NCAA?  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

So who's going to get that money instead the NCAA?  

If I was in charge?

I'd have the NCAA do something in conjunction with providing free internet or pouring back into inner city schools or help with food deserts in our inner cities in the schools of the respective state. 

Something that would help with education/food to the people who are at risk the most. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

NCAA doesn't have any say in TV deals except the tournament. They lost that court case back in 1984.

They could fine schools the equivalent amount but I doubt there would be much backing of something that drastic from the member schools.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

NCAA doesn't have any say in TV deals except the tournament. They lost that court case back in 1984.

They could fine schools the equivalent amount but I doubt there would be much backing of something that drastic from the member schools.

It's a strange time for sure....I'm thinking if there is ever a majority of the minority within major conferences we might be at that crossroads. So many are angry they might just be willing to stand up against the schools who are paying the most and they can't.

I remember just after Covid hit how all these colleges started crying poverty pretty quick. Tells me they are maybe (budget wise) standing a bit close to the sun. Lose some TV money or any other legal way to harm the schools in the checkbook my guess is they would clean the pay for play stuff up quickly. 

Or do nothing. Which is the NCAA's typical course of action. 

On 5/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, Seeking6 said:

It's a strange time for sure....I'm thinking if there is ever a majority of the minority within major conferences we might be at that crossroads. So many are angry they might just be willing to stand up against the schools who are paying the most and they can't.

I remember just after Covid hit how all these colleges started crying poverty pretty quick. Tells me they are maybe (budget wise) standing a bit close to the sun. Lose some TV money or any other legal way to harm the schools in the checkbook my guess is they would clean the pay for play stuff up quickly. 

Or do nothing. Which is the NCAA's typical course of action. 

Yeah the NCAA won't do much because they are a lame duck org. The new world order is being formed and I think some form of pay for play will be the norm for the top tier.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, Seeking6 said:

I remember just after Covid hit how all these colleges started crying poverty pretty quick. Tells me they are maybe (budget wise) standing a bit close to the sun.

The crying was all just theater.  When Covid hit, it happened right away up here in Madison, Wisconsin.  Begging for dollars from taxpayers.  Claiming Madison would lose $100 million in the first year alone (a real number they used).  Just extreme dire consequences if they didn't get $100 million in taxpayer money to off set it. 

End of the world type hysteria.

None of it was true.  It was just an act to get money.

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/think-nil-blew-college-sports-110038187.html 

California is trying to change the model again...

"Senate Bill 1401, named the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act,” cuts right to the heart of the collegiate model and the ideals of amateurism. SB 1401 would require California schools to share 50% of annual revenues in football and men’s and women’s basketball with the athletes, initiating a new era of “pay for play” — and what college sports leaders fear would be a doomsday scenario for athletic departments that currently use profits from revenue sports to fund their non-revenue sports programs." 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

"Senate Bill 1401, named the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act,” cuts right to the heart of the collegiate model and the ideals of amateurism. SB 1401 would require California schools to share 50% of annual revenues in football and men’s and women’s basketball with the athletes, initiating a new era of “pay for play” — and what college sports leaders fear would be a doomsday scenario for athletic departments that currently use profits from revenue sports to fund their non-revenue sports programs." 

The Feds are gonna get involved in this at some point in time.

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Huh.  Wouldn't that in turn destroy women's collegiate sports?  Why would any other states, conferences, or schools follow along with this?  Why would the major players go to USC or UCLA when they could go to Arizona and not have to share the revenue with all the other sports atheletes at the university?  I think these weakens cal schools, not strengthens.  

Someone feel free to correct my thinking.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not.  That would be the utter destruction of college sports.  Not sure how it would survive a federal government take over and come out better off.  

You can't have individual states running it or you'll have an uneven field...

One set of rules for everybody can only be achieved by the Feds getting involved...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why would the major players go to USC or UCLA when they could go to Arizona and not have to share the revenue with all the other sports atheletes at the university?  I think these weakens cal schools, not strengthens.  

I read it quite differently.  It says "schools will share 50% of annual revenue."  Not referring to NIL.  Referring to TV revenue, ticket prices, concessions, advertising, everything.

The Big Ten brought in $770 million in 2021.  That means $335 million would be split among all athletes that year alone.

That's the "doomsday" the article mentioned.  Over 10 years, it will amount to 3.5 to 4 billion dollars going to players.

If a conference adopts this, every player in the country will go there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not.  That would be the utter destruction of college sports.  Not sure how it would survive a federal government take over and come out better off.  

Like @madison22 says if this goes through, California universities will have to split the revenue made from football and basketball with all athletes. 

So, with the promise of that revenue plus NIL money, where do you think the top players will go? 

Unless ALL states adopt the same law, which I don't see happening, the Federal government will have to enact laws to level the playing field.

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Like @madison22 says if this goes through, California universities will have to split the revenue made from football and basketball with all athletes. 

So, with the promise of that revenue plus NIL money, where do you think the top players will go? 

Unless ALL states adopt the same law, which I don't see happening, the Federal government will have to enact laws to level the playing field.

Im still not sure why the feds would care or have the authority over individual states and state run schools.

Other than this messing with title 9 and actual women's equality.  

• Like 1

From TDH interview with Woodson:

“I am against the players that strictly uses the college sport just to get paid,” he said.  “You know I think they’re going about it the wrong way if they do it that way.”

“The NIL is there to pay players money, and if they can negotiate their money, I’m happy for them,” Woodson said.  “But you come to college to get an education and play basketball.  That to me is first and foremost, and if you think any other way, I don’t want you on our ball club.  You can go somewhere else and do your thing.”

“The portal changes the game in terms of how you navigate your team every season, because you’re going to have someone that’s going to be disgruntled that wants to leave,” Woodson said.

“I tell the players, ‘If you don’t want to play for us, then you leave and I’ll find me somebody that would love to play and wear that uniform,'” Woodson said.

For those players, Woodson has pretty much the same message he does for those who are prioritizing NIL money over basketball and education.

Woodson acknowledged in Fort Wayne that at age 64, he doesn’t have a lot of time at Indiana to get this right.

So his message is simple.

In essence — thanks, but no thanks.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/mike-woodson-to-disgruntled-money-first-players-you-can-go-somewhere-else-and-do-your-thing/

• Like 2