Holiday Decorating/Celebrating

I’m a pretty big holiday guy in my subdivision, try to go all out while having a leash on my spending…. thanks wife! Anyone else big in decorating for the holidays or fun celebrations? I also do the fireworks in our subdivision for the 4th. Last year I ended up with a budget of $1500. Not bad for maybe a tenth of homes chipping in. 

A2C85CB2-46F7-4B8E-8A41-2E68708BFC54.jpeg

26CFC7B8-A1B6-44CB-A72C-6F88524775C3.jpeg

FC29960A-36B0-438B-AEA8-DDB285E5BB24.jpeg

E6185847-104D-4AD0-8A98-C0447515F8FB.jpeg

430D8222-4E33-4AA3-BB4D-DEBE030ECE9C.jpeg

Edited by JaybobHoosier
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’m a pretty big holiday guy in my subdivision, try to go all out while having a leash on my spending…. thanks wife! Anyone else big in decorating for the holidays or fun celebrations? I also do the fireworks in our subdivision for the 4th. Last year I ended up with a budget of $1500. Not bad for maybe a tenth of homes chipping in. 

A2C85CB2-46F7-4B8E-8A41-2E68708BFC54.jpeg

IMG_0019.MOV 203.08 MB · 0 downloads

26CFC7B8-A1B6-44CB-A72C-6F88524775C3.jpeg

FC29960A-36B0-438B-AEA8-DDB285E5BB24.jpeg

E6185847-104D-4AD0-8A98-C0447515F8FB.jpeg

430D8222-4E33-4AA3-BB4D-DEBE030ECE9C.jpeg

All in on the fireworks.......  I have 2 other buddies that go in with me and let's just say our budget blown up in a half hour is ridiculous but an absolute blast..

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JW75 said:

All in on the fireworks.......  I have 2 other buddies that go in with me and let's just say our budget blown up in a half hour is ridiculous but an absolute blast..

I know, right?! I try to keep the firework show to 30-45 minutes to not go too long. Last thing I want is a crabby neighbor complaining it’s too late. Try to not go past 10pm. Haven’t had any complaints up to this point. 

Funny how all this money in fireworks is blown up within 30-45 minutes lol. 

30 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I know, right?! I try to keep the firework show to 30-45 minutes to not go too long. Last thing I want is a crabby neighbor complaining it’s too late. Try to not go past 10pm. Haven’t had any complaints up to this point. 

Funny how all this money in fireworks is blown up within 30-45 minutes lol. 

Yes we keep our show 30 minutes max with the grand finale all fused together for a solid 2 minutes. Our goal is a wall of fire and the loudest we can go spread out over about 100' .  We usually have 40 cakes, 500g and 200g mixed in with some mortars, all gone in 2 minutes.. hahahahah that's just the finale. 🤣

There’s actually multiple people in my subdivision that do more-than-decent fireworks.   

Roughly an hour of that on all sides. 

Edit: my house does sit on the crest of a hill, and I’m standing on my deck filming. Probably one of the better views in the neighborhood.

As far as holiday decorations, I’m about average exterior wise but my (soon to be ex) wife has 8 full size Christmas trees, Along with the required ornaments, etc. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Yes we keep our show 30 minutes max with the grand finale all fused together for a solid 2 minutes. Our goal is a wall of fire and the loudest we can go spread out over about 100' .  We usually have 40 cakes, 500g and 200g mixed in with some mortars, all gone in 2 minutes.. hahahahah that's just the finale. 🤣

Enough artillery to receive a commendation from General Westmoreland....and he's been dead for 17 years and is buried 1000+ miles away. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, Zlinedavid said:

There’s actually multiple people in my subdivision that do more-than-decent fireworks. 

Roughly an hour of that on all sides. 

Edit: my house does sit on the crest of a hill, and I’m standing on my deck filming. Probably one of the better views in the neighborhood.

As far as holiday decorations, I’m about average exterior wise but my (soon to be ex) wife has 8 full size Christmas trees, Along with the required ornaments, etc. 

Just finished purchasing the subdivision fireworks. Hope to get more donations in or I’m on the hook for a lot lol. Grand total is about $2,000. 

One thing I’m looking to add this year is a fun parachute firework where all the neighborhood kids go chasing them. My issue is I have found one that shoots 250, which is too much, but the other problem is the 2nd biggest is only 17 parachutes. 

My church is hosting a subdivision bbq for free, and then a few of us are putting on a fun parade where adults/kids can decorate golf carts, bikes, scooters, strollers, etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I used to be much more into the decorating. Nowadays I'll put up the lights along the roof line and some simple decorations. I have 15' of my basement wall stacked all the way up with bins and boxes just of Christmas stuff. Maybe we use 1/4?

Over the last couple years we have been making gradual progress on thinning it out. Giving stuff to the kids or throwing out stuff we will never use. 

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I used to be much more into the decorating. Nowadays I'll put up the lights along the roof line and some simple decorations. I have 15' of my basement wall stacked all the way up with bins and boxes just of Christmas stuff. Maybe we use 1/4?

Over the last couple years we have been making gradual progress on thinning it out. Giving stuff to the kids or throwing out stuff we will never use. 

If you ever want to give any away, I’m your guy lol. I love decorating and my kids love it. My oldest, who is 5 1/2, tries to help, but he’s more worried about just wanting to climb up and down the ladder trying to give me a heart attack. An example would be me on the roof putting lights up, and then all the sudden I see his head popping up over the roof because he climbed the ladder without my knowledge…… 

My biggest upgrade this year will be doing continuous archways that go over the sidewalk, and will sync it up to music. 

• Like 1

Taking advantage of the nice weather and trying to get up as much decorations as possible. Won’t have it officially up until after Thanksgiving, but here in St. Louis it’s supposed to drop into the high of 40s on Friday. It’s in the 70s tomorrow and Thursday. Still a lot more to go and a strand went out on me after it was put up, and of course it was smack dab on the front of the house….. 

F0FFDC76-3A8B-4A0F-BD95-31BDC7BD4133.jpeg

EF824644-682F-4CD9-A873-84A5801DE06C.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

In the words of my wife when she went outside, “That’s a lot of lights 🙄.” Lol. Definitely rolled her eyes, but she appreciates it! She is encouraging me to do our new fence and wooden swing set we got for the boys. 

Have not started our outside lights yet.  Shooting for next weekend.  Mine are not as elaborate has yours.

Have done some decorating inside.  Have one of our several full sized trees up and decorated.  Cant give an exact number of how many trees  we will end up with.  Varies each year, depending on how much time we have.  Our record was 11.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

For real though @JaybobHoosier, it looks great. 

Appreciate it. My dad did this when I was a kid, so it’s a learned habit/addiction lol. My kids love it and my oldest likes helping me. Hopefully will get it all done by next weekend. Hard part is done with the roof, so we will see lol. 

• Like 3

On 11/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, JaybobHoosier said:

Appreciate it. My dad did this when I was a kid, so it’s a learned habit/addiction lol. My kids love it and my oldest likes helping me. Hopefully will get it all done by next weekend. Hard part is done with the roof, so we will see lol. 

The little lights aren't twinkling Clark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm more on the Scrooge side of things, my wife informed that the Sunday after Thanksgiving we are going to get our real tree.... joy. 😆

My wife does an excellent job decorating our house for the holidays. I will post pics. 

I was informed yesterday that I need to start decorating more.  For the grandkids.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1