Jump to content

New topic- IU Fandom


Recommended Posts

I thought it would be a good time to maybe start another topic thread.  With the transfer portal and NIL talk getting tiresome how about a new topic.

1) How and when did you become an IU fan.

2) What is your favorite seasons and memories of your time as a IU fan.

Mine.

1) Actually there is not a time that I can remember not being a IU fan.  Being the youngest of two boys with my brother being 8.5 years older than me, he got he into sports.  When I was 8 years old I remember playing basketball with my brother and his friends and that really when I became a sports junkie.

Also growing up in the 70's and 80's and having no cable and usually having 1 TV in the house our family watched every IU game together.

2) Top seasons of coarse are 76,81 and 87 championship seasons. Others would be 84 when we beat #1 UNC with Micheal Jordan in the sweet 16. 89 was probably the best coaching job in RMK career and that team shouldn't have won the big ten. Other seasons 92,93,2002.

Favorite memories is the Keith Smart shot, all the Jay Edwards game winning shots, Steve Alford game winning basket at UM and the Wat shot

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

With the transfer portal and NIL talk getting tiresome how about a new topic.

1) How and when did you become an IU fan.

2) What is your favorite seasons and memories of your time as a IU fan.

1.  Last season, as I excitedly awaited the upcoming NIL and transfer portal.

2.  This season, as the exciting NIL and transfer portals became reality.  We should discuss them more.

_______________________________

Just joking.  Nice new topic.  Hope you get some good posts.

Edited by Madison22
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) I became an IU fan when I decided to go there for college in 2011. My dad, mom, and uncle all have degrees from there so it was easy to start rooting for them. 
 

2) Watshot is probably my number 1 memory as a fan. I was in the upper deck of assembly hall. Another fond memory was 2013 when #1 IU was hosting a top 10 UNC squad with James Michael McAdoo, as well as when IU beat Draymond Green’s MSU squad in assembly hall. Really fond memories going to games those couple seasons. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

1) I became an IU fan when I decided to go there for college in 2011. My dad, mom, and uncle all have degrees from there so it was easy to start rooting for them. 
 

2) Watshot is probably my number 1 memory as a fan. I was in the upper deck of assembly hall. Another fond memory was 2013 when #1 IU was hosting a top 10 UNC squad with James Michael McAdoo, as well as when IU beat Draymond Green’s MSU squad in assembly hall. Really fond memories going to games those couple seasons. 

So, when you were a kid you didn't follow IU. Did you live out of state?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) I was a moderate fan growing up, but only my Grandpa was actually an IU fan and I was the first IU grad in my family. My first college football game was against PSU when I was 4, so there's that. Shocking as it may be to some, my first game at Assembly Hall was Dane Fife's Senior Night; I had seats fourth row behind the bench. I would say I really became a die-hard fan my senior year in high school when I decided to attend IU (fall 2006) and it's all been downhill for my mental health ever since. 

2) I assume this is a basketball related question, which does drastically change my answer of my favorite IU memories as I'm sure it does for many on here. 

  • My wife and my first post honeymoon trip was the 2012 pre-season tournament we played in at the Barclay's Center where Bob Knight called the game - that's a great one for a lot of reasons.
  • 2002 was great even though I wouldn't have called myself a die-hard fan at that point.
  • The Wat Shot and both UM games the following year.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) I was a moderate fan growing up, but only my Grandpa was actually an IU fan and I was the first IU grad in my family. My first college football game was against PSU when I was 4, so there's that. Shocking as it may be to some, my first game at Assembly Hall was Dane Fife's Senior Night; I had seats fourth row behind the bench. I would say I really became a die-hard fan my senior year in high school when I decided to attend IU (fall 2006) and it's all been downhill for my mental health ever since. 

2) I assume this is a basketball related question, which does drastically change my answer of my favorite IU memories as I'm sure it does for many on here. 

  • My wife and my first post honeymoon trip was the 2012 pre-season tournament we played in at the Barclay's Center where Bob Knight called the game - that's a great one for a lot of reasons.
  • 2002 was great even though I wouldn't have called myself a die-hard fan at that point.
  • The Wat Shot and both UM games the following year.

My first game in AH was the opening game of the 86-87 season against Montana State.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With two parents who are IU grads (dad went to high school with Jimmy Rayl and mom had classes at IU with the Van Arsdales), I was born an IU fan.  Also, my grandmother remembered watching Branch McCracken PLAY when she was on campus.  Anyway, I went to my first football game when IU hosted Washington in the late 70s (I think) and I was hooked.  My Godparents took my brother and I (he is also an IU grad) to our first basketball game when IU hosted Kentucky in the early 80s.  I was hooked then, too.  I remember the NIT championship game in '79 and the '81 season, but my favorite seasons were '87, '92 (I was on campus and at Nick's for the Final Four), and 2002 (what a fun and amazing run that was!).  But I also remember watching the soccer Hoosiers win the National Title my freshman year (I was there with my dad), and the curb stomping that AT and the gang put on Ohio State at Memorial Stadium.  I was in the balcony when Jay Edwards beat Michigan.  I was there when we played OSU during the Gulf War and vividly remember the National Anthem.  My dad and I were at the Marco Killingsworth game v. Duke when it was so loud I thought the roof was going to blow off.  My other best memories are now tailgating with my daughter on football Saturdays and going to hoops games with her from the time she was really young to this past year.  She is now a fourth generation IU student.  So many happy memories covering 40+ years (I'm 52).  And, yes, @IU Scott, I miss channel 4 and the Farm Bureau days!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So, when you were a kid you didn't follow IU. Did you live out of state?

Yep I’m from Chicago. I rooted for DePaul since my dad taught there, and I always had an affinity for Villanova for some reason. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grew up on the “other” side of the Wabash, but still within the core fan zone. I wasn’t a hardcore IU fan growing up, but I do remember the early 90s teams. Became a true fan when I transferred there in the fall of 2003….and yeah, those were some dark times. My two years in B-town were the two years Davis missed the tournament, and they were the last two of the DiNardo era in football. But at least we had two national soccer titles! 
 

Memorable moments that I remember firsthand: The 2002 FF run, Killingsworth’s tomahawk jam vs Duke (was there), Mo Creek’s performance against UK as a freshman (what if…), the WatShot, the 2016 B10 title run.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

With two parents who are IU grads (dad went to high school with Jimmy Rayl and mom had classes at IU with the Van Arsdales), I was born an IU fan.  Also, my grandmother remembered watching Branch McCracken PLAY when she was on campus.  Anyway, I went to my first football game when IU hosted Washington in the late 70s (I think) and I was hooked.  My Godparents took my brother and I (he is also an IU grad) to our first basketball game when IU hosted Kentucky in the early 80s.  I was hooked then, too.  I remember the NIT championship game in '79 and the '81 season, but my favorite seasons were '87, '92 (I was on campus and at Nick's for the Final Four), and 2002 (what a fun and amazing run that was!).  But I also remember watching the soccer Hoosiers win the National Title my freshman year (I was there with my dad), and the curb stomping that AT and the gang put on Ohio State at Memorial Stadium.  I was in the balcony when Jay Edwards beat Michigan.  I was there when we played OSU during the Gulf War and vividly remember the National Anthem.  My dad and I were at the Marco Killingsworth game v. Duke when it was so loud I thought the roof was going to blow off.  My other best memories are now tailgating with my daughter on football Saturdays and going to hoops games with her from the time she was really young to this past year.  She is now a fourth generation IU student.  So many happy memories covering 40+ years (I'm 52).  And, yes, @IU Scott, I miss channel 4 and the Farm Bureau days!

People who don't remember having games on our local channel 4 probably don't understand why we miss them showing the games.  It was a IU production with IU announcers plus the pre game show with RMK.  Most games were on channel 4 but the games we got on national TV made it feel more special.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

People who don't remember having games on our local channel 4 probably don't understand why we miss them showing the games.  It was a IU production with IU announcers plus the pre game show with RMK.  Most games were on channel 4 but the games we got on national TV made it feel more special.

Don't forget the Bob Knight show!  I learned more about basketball watching that show than doing anything else.  Plus there were some classic moments...something about a donkey named Jack??  LMAO!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Don't forget the Bob Knight show!  I learned more about basketball watching that show than doing anything else.  Plus there were some classic moments...something about a donkey named Jack??  LMAO!!!

Ivan Renko as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dad grew up in Evansville a huge IU basketball fan, so I was born an IU fan in central Kentucky in 1981.

My first and fondest memory was Smart’s shot. Since then the 2002 run (got to watch IU/Kent St at Rupp Arena in the Elite Eight), the Wat Shot and Knight’s return against Purdue a couple years ago (which I was also at). 

I caught some slack when I first joined the old board for being from KY (possible troll?) but it sounds like I may have been a diehard fan a lot earlier/longer than a lot of people who grew up in Indiana. I assumed everybody born in Indiana was a die hard IU basketball fan. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was born an IU fan. IU games were always on channel 4 growing up and I never missed one. I was too young to really remember hanging our last banner. I really remember cutting my teeth on the Eric Anderson years and Calbert Cheney and those great teams. But my favorite memory is the run to the championship game against Maryland. That Duke game and the Moye block. I loved that moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. I grew up an IU fan, watching every game with my dad. I remember having a hat that said, “The Lord is my Shepherd, but Bobby Knight is my Coach.”

2. My favorite season was the 87 title run - the phone punch especially. As a lefty, my favorite time was watching Cheaney. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Born/Raised in Illinois but whole Mom's side of family was Hoosiers. Only got to see them on TV about 4-5 years which made them that more magical in my eyes as a kid.

2) Favorite moments (beside the usual). First game in person at Assembly Hall was Senior Night in 1988. Ran Iowa out of the gym. One of my other favorite moments actually happened of the court. Freshman year H105 discussion class on Friday my freshman year. Taking attendance at TA goes Bailey, Damon....I perk up a tad and he's sitting right next to me. Followed him after class (safe distance) to see him just walk across campus and people asking for autographs before he jumped in his Red Mustang 5.0 convertible and fled...

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Born an IU fan 

First live game 1963 vs Illinois. IU won and scored over 100 points. About a month later, my cousin played in the state finals for Terre Haute Garfield, and my basketball junkie life began in earnest.

Of course I loved the 75, 76, 81, and 87 seasons and teams, but my favorite was 1971. Anyone that saw or remembers George McGinnis in an IU uniform can tell you why. Fun team to watch. Loved the 67 Big 10 Championship team too. 

Lots of favorite players. Too many to list, but my earliest heroes were Jimmy Rayl, the Van Arsdales, Butch Joyner, Bill Deheer, and Vernon Payne...

And, like many others always watched with Dad...miss those days...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Born an IU fan 

First live game 1963 vs Illinois. IU won and scored over 100 points. About a month later, my cousin played in the state finals for Terre Haute Garfield, and my basketball junkie life began in earnest.

Of course I loved the 75, 76, 81, and 87 seasons and teams, but my favorite was 1971. Anyone that saw or remembers George McGinnis in an IU uniform can tell you why. Fun team to watch. Loved the 67 Big 10 Championship team too. 

Lots of favorite players. Too many to list, but my earliest heroes were Jimmy Rayl, the Van Arsdales, Butch Joyner, Bill Deheer, and Vernon Payne...

And, like many others always watched with Dad...miss those days...

How in the world did a team score over a 100 in the 60's without the 3 pointer LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Hurryin' Hoosiers baby...

Just having some fun for the analytic crowd where they think it is not effecient to shoot 2 pointers.  The thing is guys back then took a lot of shots that would have been 3's if they had the 3.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Catholic kid, I grew up a big Notre Dame fan, but didn't have the money, grades or legacy to go there. Became an IU fan after applying there prior to my senior year in HS. 

Best memory was being on campus for the 81 championship game. Wildest night (among many) of my four years on campus. Second was beating Purdue in the NIT in 79. That was another fun night on campus, but nothing like 81. 

Another cool moment: I was walking past the HPER in the summer of 81, when IT pulled up in his new, dark brown, Mercedes sedan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

As a Catholic kid, I grew up a big Notre Dame fan, but didn't have the money, grades or legacy to go there. Became an IU fan after applying there prior to my senior year in HS. 

Best memory was being on campus for the 81 championship game. Wildest night (among many) of my four years on campus. Second was beating Purdue in the NIT in 79. That was another fun night on campus, but nothing like 81. 

Another cool moment: I was walking past the HPER in the summer of 81, when IT pulled up in his new, dark brown, Mercedes sedan. 

That was probably after he was drafted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

As a Catholic kid, I grew up a big Notre Dame fan, but didn't have the money, grades or legacy to go there. Became an IU fan after applying there prior to my senior year in HS. 

Best memory was being on campus for the 81 championship game. Wildest night (among many) of my four years on campus. Second was beating Purdue in the NIT in 79. That was another fun night on campus, but nothing like 81. 

Another cool moment: I was walking past the HPER in the summer of 81, when IT pulled up in his new, dark brown, Mercedes sedan. 

Thought I was going to be the final leg of the Superfecta. Uncle in 1976 was on campus, other Uncle was on campus in 81, sister on campus for 87....definitely thought we deserved to hang one during my tenure in early 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought I was going to be the final leg of the Superfecta. Uncle in 1976 was on campus, other Uncle was on campus in 81, sister on campus for 87....definitely thought we deserved to hang one during my tenure in early 90's.

Thank you TV Teddy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...