Swear this is IU basketball related

So a few months ago, I ordered a hand built steel bike frame from a local company - Horse Cycles here in Brooklyn. It’s like a six month wait for the frame after measurements, etc. It comes with either a normal or custom paint job - I’m obviously springing for the custom paint job. 

I’ve pretty much got all of the parts - this will be an All-American made beast. I can buy something comparable from a store, but what is the fun it that. Plus, I want to pick every single part and assemble it myself. I don’t want something from a factory. 

Parts are as follows:

Wheels from H.E.D, based in Minnesota

Headset, bottom bracket, chainring and cranks from White Industries in California

Handlebar, stem, and seatpost from Thomson Bike in Georgia

Brakes, shifters, and gear cassette from SRAM in Illinois. 

Bar tape from Newbaum in California

Tires from Rene Hearse in Oregon

I’ve been going back and forth on the paint job, but I think I’ve settled on a Cream and Crimson paint job. I want to include a subtle nod to IU basketball and I think I’ve settled on five stars. But do I do five stars and a sixth star that has dotted lines around it for filling in later (being an optimist) or just only leave space for the five stars. 

The area for the stars would be the brake bridge  over the rear wheel. This is the bike frame with a red and white paintjob:

http://www.horsebrand.co/bikes/gravel-monster

I actually think I would flip it and do mostly crimson with cream on the frame. You can see the brake bridge here where the five (or six stars) would be. Photo attached.

My question to everyone here is - are there other subtle logos or text that I should use instead of the five stars?

One alternative is that there is a very strong tradition of listing championship years on bike frames for stuff like the Tour De France and Giro D’ Italia. You often see years like 1976, 1981, and 1987 on the downtube of bike frames to signify that the bike frame won certain years. I’ve thought about just including the NCs that I’ve witnessed - 1976, 1981, and 1987. 

If you were building a bike that will outlast you and had to include a nod to IU basketball, what would you do? 

24293AF1-1756-4FC7-985D-3AB1313C9EAD.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

So a few months ago, I ordered a hand built steel bike frame from a local company - Horse Cycles here in Brooklyn. It’s like a six month wait for the frame after measurements, etc. It comes with either a normal or custom paint job - I’m obviously springing for the custom paint job. 

I’ve pretty much got all of the parts - this will be an All-American made beast. I can buy something comparable from a store, but what is the fun it that. Plus, I want to pick every single part and assemble it myself. I don’t want something from a factory. 

Parts are as follows:

Wheels from H.E.D, based in Minnesota

Headset, bottom bracket, chainring and cranks from White Industries in California

Handlebar, stem, and seatpost from Thomson Bike in Georgia

Brakes, shifters, and gear cassette from SRAM in Illinois. 

Bar tape from Newbaum in California

Tires from Rene Hearse in Oregon

I’ve been going back and forth on the paint job, but I think I’ve settled on a Cream and Crimson paint job. I want to include a subtle nod to IU basketball and I think I’ve settled on five stars. But do I do five stars and a sixth star that has dotted lines around it for filling in later (being an optimist) or just only leave space for the five stars. 

The area for the stars would be the brake bridge  over the rear wheel. This is the bike frame with a red and white paintjob:

http://www.horsebrand.co/bikes/gravel-monster

I actually think I would flip it and do mostly crimson with cream on the frame. You can see the brake bridge here where the five (or six stars) would be. Photo attached.

My question to everyone here is - are there other subtle logos or text that I should use instead of the five stars?

One alternative is that there is a very strong tradition of listing championship years on bike frames for stuff like the Tour De France and Giro D’ Italia. You often see years like 1976, 1981, and 1987 on the downtube of bike frames to signify that the bike frame won certain years. I’ve thought about just including the NCs that I’ve witnessed - 1976, 1981, and 1987. 

If you were building a bike that will outlast you and had to include a nod to IU basketball, what would you do? 

24293AF1-1756-4FC7-985D-3AB1313C9EAD.jpeg

I wouldn't be so subtle, I guess. The 5 stars idea is a great one, and I'd do that for sure, but I've always loved the trident...

I'd have that somewhere...the bike itself is killer...

I’d be a little subtle. Most non IU fans wouldn’t understand. I’d put the Trident on the the headstock tube for the handlebars. Again subtle! I’d do the 5 stars the way you described, and leave the horseshoe tube above the rear tire for more!

First my congratulations on going steel! I remember a vendor friend of mine telling me all about his expensive ultralight bike. I asked him quite seriously if his goal was to get exercise why go through the expense? His answer was so he could keep up with everyone else. I guess I get his point but I was always a solo rider?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't be so subtle, I guess. The 5 stars idea is a great one, and I'd do that for sure, but I've always loved the trident...

I'd have that somewhere...the bike itself is killer...

Ha, my first thought was the trident on the headtube FRONT and CENTER. But then one of the reasons I love the brand is the Horse on the headtube. Pic below. So then I started thinking more subtle. But, it is 100% up to me. I can put Hurrying Hoosiers on the frame if I want. I really do want this bike to mean something special to me and that means IU basketball. 

27 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’d be a little subtle. Most non IU fans wouldn’t understand. I’d put the Trident on the the headstock tube for the handlebars. Again subtle! I’d do the 5 stars the way you described, and leave the horseshoe tube above the rear tire for more!

First my congratulations on going steel! I remember a vendor friend of mine telling me all about his expensive ultralight bike. I asked him quite seriously if his goal was to get exercise why go through the expense? His answer was so he could keep up with everyone else. I guess I get his point but I was always a solo rider?

See above, I was totally thinking the Trident on the headtube! I also like the outline of the state on the basketball. So, that is still in play. 

And yeah, “Steel is real.” I’ve ridden carbon and aluminum, but nothing matches the feel and flex of steel on the road. I laugh at all of those people wringing their hands over grams of weight when you can save those grams just by taking a crap before your ride! The body is the easiest way to cut weight, not frame materials. 

6B37E005-1F7A-4C24-BBE7-8481859463FB.jpeg

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, my first thought was the trident on the headtube FRONT and CENTER. But then one of the reasons I love the brand is the Horse on the headtube. Pic below. So then I started thinking more subtle. But, it is 100% up to me. I can put Hurrying Hoosiers on the frame if I want. I really do want this bike to mean something special to me and that means IU basketball. 

See above, I was totally thinking the Trident on the headtube! I also like the outline of the state on the basketball. So, that is still in play. 

And yeah, “Steel is real.” I’ve ridden carbon and aluminum, but nothing matches the feel and flex of steel on the road. I laugh at all of those people wringing their hands over grams of weight when you can save those grams just by taking a crap before your ride! The body is the easiest way to cut weight, not frame materials. 

6B37E005-1F7A-4C24-BBE7-8481859463FB.jpeg

If it came down to a horse's head or the trident, I know what my wife would lobby for 🙂 

But I'd try to squeeze a Trident in right where the fork arches...

That color combo on a bike is awesome...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If it came down to a horse's head or the trident, I know what my wife would lobby for 🙂 

But I'd try to squeeze a Trident in right where the fork arches...

That color combo on a bike is awesome...

Ha, she would be all over that Horse logo! I do think I can sneak the Trident in somewhere. 

Still considering adding championship years too. I don’t want it to scream IU, but definitely want it to be obvious to me and anyone from IU. 

• 3 months later...

Got word a few days ago that my bike frame was ready and started discussions on paint job. Went back and forth on how I wanted to finish off the IU-related part. Did not opt for the five stars on the brake bridge or the trident (sorry @IUFLA). But I did include a pretty cool nod to IUBB as you will notice if you look closely.

Ben, who handles the painting for Horse Cycles, just posted this to his Instagram account. It looks INCREDIBLE. I have all the parts to start building except for pedals. Am waffling on those. 

BE229BC2-E70C-4B53-8B55-B3AF0EB507FD.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Got word a few days ago that my bike frame was ready and started discussions on paint job. Went back and forth on how I wanted to finish off the IU-related part. Did not opt for the five stars on the brake bridge or the trident (sorry @IUFLA). But I did include a pretty cool nod to IUBB as you will notice if you look closely.

Ben, who handles the painting for Horse Cycles, just posted this to his Instagram account. It looks INCREDIBLE. I have all the parts to start building except for pedals. Am waffling on those. 

BE229BC2-E70C-4B53-8B55-B3AF0EB507FD.jpeg

I see you left space for 2-3 more years?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve finally got the frame and all the tools to put together. Bicycle tools are insane - there always seems to be ONE MORE tool you need for one specific bottom bracket, cassette, or headset. 

Even here in NYC, I’ve kept a fool toolbox full of all the tools I would normally need for repairs, but I’ve easily spent $300 for additional tools I’ve needed to build up my last track bike and now this road bike. 

That cream and crimson with the championship years is hitting me hard though…

Am trying to get this built before our trip to Italy on Tuesday! 

F69B7E86-C247-445E-BAD3-0A62702CC0A0.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Martha looks awesome!

Martha and Underdog. Well played! But shouldn’t you have worked Sweet Polly Purebred into the name somehow?😂

Thank you! And yes, ding ding ding - Underdog! It’s a mural on Underhill Street, which has been up and not tagged for a few years now. I always smile passing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Very nice, my friend! Hope you get many pleasurable rides out of her! 

Thank you! That’s the plan. I wanted a geared bike to help me commute in to work over the bridges. Doable on the single-speed errand runner, but Martha will make it a lot more comfortable going over the Brooklyn Bridge. 

• Like 2