Evansville Aces Want Ad.....

Don't know if many know this, but the dumpster fire that is the Purple Aces basketball program, is looking for a new head coach along with an entire coaching staff! Seems like ever since the Walter McCarthy debacle, the program went south.

One of the prominent names being mentioned is nonother than Tom Crean! If he resurrected the Hoosier bball program, why not the Aces??

Stay tuned....

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Crean will do much better based on the simple fact the only thing he's been accused of is horrible in game management and drinking too much Diet Coke.

Roster management wasn't too hot either. 

I didn't follow his Georgia tenure closely enough to know, but I wonder if he had issues with over-signing, recruiting too many of the same type of player, or still recruiting high school seniors in May. All of that stuff led to the turnover and dysfunction we witnessed here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Crean is a really solid coach. Idk enough about UE to know if that is where he should go. 

UGA is poop in basketball, always has been. 

This was Year 4 for him at UGA (which was his first big year at IU) and you could have made a pretty dang solid team filled with guys who left because of the transfer portal. I think the portal really disrupted how he was trying to build things there and was his undoing. 

• Like 2

So if it is Crean does that mean UE has to recruit out of state.  Thought he had bad relationships with Indiana HS coaches.  I'd get Gregg Marshall.  He knows how to diminate the MVC.

Edited by ATX_sig
spell correction

14 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

So if it is Crean does that mean UE has to recruit out of state.  Thought he had bad relationships with Indiana HS coaches.  I'd get Gregg Marshall.  He knows how to diminate the MVC.

Yeah, Marshall seems like a REALLY good guy. 💀

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's Mrs. Marshall that scares me.  She could drink Billy Gillespie under the table and drive him home. 

Regardless of the "family" issues, it would be a HR hire if the Aces could land Marshall....imo

• Like 2

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/the-rise-of-sean-sweeney-milwaukee-bucks-assistant-coach/

Sean Sweeny has put in time at Evansville with Simmons and seems like a young rising future coach. He'll probably stay in the NBA but is Kidd's number 1.  He interviewed or will interview with the Hornets for the top job.  He looked the part when he filled in for Kidd for a 3 or so games while Kidd was out due to COVID protocols.  Would he rather stay an assistant or maybe take a college job. 

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/the-rise-of-sean-sweeney-milwaukee-bucks-assistant-coach/

Sean Sweeny has put in time at Evansville with Simmons and seems like a young rising future coach. He'll probably stay in the NBA but is Kidd's number 1.  He interviewed or will interview with the Hornets for the top job.  He looked the part when he filled in for Kidd for a 3 or so games while Kidd was out due to COVID protocols.  Would he rather stay an assistant or maybe take a college job. 

I can’t imagine a guy like him going to Evansville, that would be really short sighted IMO. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I can’t imagine a guy like him going to Evansville, that would be really short sighted IMO. 

Gotta start somewhere. If you’re a solid coach, you could turn a program like EVille around to being at least respectable in 2-3 seasons. There’s a ton of kids from the area that may not be P5 level talent, but would make solid MVC level players. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Gotta start somewhere. If you’re a solid coach, you could turn a program like EVille around to being at least respectable in 2-3 seasons. There’s a ton of kids from the area that may not be P5 level talent, but would make solid MVC level players. 

He does have to start somewhere as a head coach, but he is getting NBA head coaching interest. It would be really dumb of him to go to Evansville instead of waiting for an NBA job or a high-level college job. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...