Jordan Hulls - Director of Recruiting

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

big Hulls fan, but... just to get people after me... why is this a great hire?  director of recruiting needs to be very dynamic or really cool right?  are the kind of recruits we want going to think he is cool or be impressed by Jordan Hulls?  

I'll let others answer but here's what I'll say. There is a market of recruits that I think Jordan Hulls can be very, very good at delivering down the road. I also think Jordan Hulls has a very good chance to be a D1 coach down the road and this is his first stop.

I also think Coach Woodson is smart enough to cover all sides of the recruiting game. In one short year the energy from all angles has been brought back into the program after being dead for 6 years. I'll go with what CMW thinks is best. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

big Hulls fan, but... just to get people after me... why is this a great hire?  director of recruiting needs to be very dynamic or really cool right?  are the kind of recruits we want going to think he is cool or be impressed by Jordan Hulls?  

Would he also be operating like a scout?  Hunting for talent.  Vetting said talent.  Constantly watching the portal.  Does any juco talent exist anymore?  He's like constant contact i would imagine.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Why is he not cool?  The Walsh guy doesn't exactly jump off the page as "wow, isn't he cool" either.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

DOBO is a strictly admin role. Budgets, hotels contracts, where the team eats on road trips, etc. All the stuff that needs confirming/scheduled is ran through the DOBO. 

In that case, Hulls should be great if we go overseas for a basketball tour. He has had the experience.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

My understanding is that as the director of recruiting he’ll identify the recruits and perhaps gauge interest, and then turn it over to the coaches to do the real recruiting. Don’t need to be cool for that, and I don’t think at his age and with his credentials, he’ll have trouble connecting with with today’s recruits. Anyway, just my take.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I don't really get the coolness question - he was a stud four year college player then played nearly a decade of pro ball. Nothing about that profile says to me, "wow, high school kids are going to think this guy is a dork."

Translation.  He's white, can he connect with non white kids?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He can talk basketball with the best of them, and that’s a universal language. He just needs to be an effective matchmaker and get us a first date. Woody & Company will be the ones to seal the deal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Right. That is for sure the question... but I am not overly sure how much he has to "connect" with them while we are recruiting. IMO he will be identifying the talent, running through tape, seeing who fits/doesn't fit.... planning trips, etc. I think before they're on campus their relationships will be built with-- Woodson, Walsh, Hunter, and Ya.... not that JH isn't ever going to talk to these kids, but he isn't going to be walking into shoot arounds at Montverde nearly as often as the others. I doubt he goes to a ton of home visits. 

Jordy played for Indiana Elite, in it's prime. He won big boy tournaments in Vegas at the Adidas event when he was in HS. He runs an AAU program now, there are connections.. especially in this state that JH opens up for us. 

Plus he's just a freaking hard working dude that cares about Indiana more then himself and he respects the vision IU and Coach Woodson have us moving towards. Personally, I'll bet if we wanted to search high and low--- yeah we could have found a "better" head of recruiting for this coming year.... but that isn't the ONLY factor involved here and I fully, fully expect JH in 2-3 years to either have an AC job somewhere, or to be flat out thriving as our recruiting coordinator. 

• Like 3

I’ve said it for years, Jordan Hulls will make a hell of a coach at some level someday. He was fundamentally sound as a player, great character and highly intelligent. I’m not a fan of hiring former players just for name value, but he’s one I legitimately want to have on staff. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Plus he's just a freaking hard working dude that cares about Indiana more then himself and he respects the vision IU and Coach Woodson have us moving towards.

And for a kid that grew up in BTown and wore the stripes, getting to work for the program under Mike Woodson? Yeah, that’s didn’t take Jordy long to accept…lol.

Only one thing….hope Coach Woodson is ok with no longer being the best shooter in the program. 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah, I kind of figured that might be the concern. I'd be surprised if Hulls has issues connecting with black kids and if he does, it likely has nothing to do with the fact that he is white. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I kind of figured that might be the concern. I'd be surprised if Hulls has issues connecting with black kids and if he does, it likely has nothing to do with the fact that he is white. 

Blahh.. Chaz Cooper was one of his best friends in HS, so was Dee Davis. This isn't a thing we need to worry about lol !!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's almost insinuating that black players are racist.  If that were the case, how on earth would Calipari field the teams he has?  I get that connections are sometimes easier when you have more in common, but I can't imagine Hulls would have any issues connecting given his past and present relationships.

(...and I understand you were just translating...not picking on anyone here...just quoting for convenience.)

• Like 1