Jordan Hulls - Director of Recruiting

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Right. That is for sure the question... but I am not overly sure how much he has to "connect" with them while we are recruiting. IMO he will be identifying the talent, running through tape, seeing who fits/doesn't fit.... planning trips, etc. I think before they're on campus their relationships will be built with-- Woodson, Walsh, Hunter, and Ya.... not that JH isn't ever going to talk to these kids, but he isn't going to be walking into shoot arounds at Montverde nearly as often as the others. I doubt he goes to a ton of home visits. 

Jordy played for Indiana Elite, in it's prime. He won big boy tournaments in Vegas at the Adidas event when he was in HS. He runs an AAU program now, there are connections.. especially in this state that JH opens up for us. 

Plus he's just a freaking hard working dude that cares about Indiana more then himself and he respects the vision IU and Coach Woodson have us moving towards. Personally, I'll bet if we wanted to search high and low--- yeah we could have found a "better" head of recruiting for this coming year.... but that isn't the ONLY factor involved here and I fully, fully expect JH in 2-3 years to either have an AC job somewhere, or to be flat out thriving as our recruiting coordinator. 

I think he will do more recruiting than you think. I don’t know that Cupps comes here if it wasn’t for Coach Walsh. I would have agreed with everything above if it wasn’t for how much Cupps and others talked about how much of a relationship they have with him.

4 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think he will do more recruiting than you think. I don’t know that Cupps comes here if it wasn’t for Coach Walsh. I would have agreed with everything above if it wasn’t for how much Cupps and others talked about how much of a relationship they have with him.

Right. One specific recruit. Someone like Kwame Evans though, not going to have that great "built" of a relationship with JH (a head of recruiting)... his relationship will be much more with an asst coach... until this point.  

I think the Cupps thing is more of an anomaly then not, with Walsh. 

Walsh was only in that role for 12 months, most of the relationships were built while in the other role. 

It's just like a PRINCIPAL at a school.. they aren't as close with the students as the teachers, but there is still a connection there. Well.. with the good ones that is. 

Edited by btownqb

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Right. One specific recruit. Someone like Kwame Evans though, not going to have that great "built" of a relationship with JH (a head of recruiting)... his relationship will be much more with an asst coach... until this point.  

I think the Cupps thing is more of an anomaly then not, with Walsh. 

Walsh was only in that role for 12 months, most of the relationships were built while in the other role. 

It's just like a principle at a school.. they aren't as close with the students as the teachers, but there is still a connection there. Well.. with the good ones that is. 

You are a teacher, right? Sure your principal would be glad to know that you think he /she has principles 😛😛😛😛

But, I agree with what you are saying 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll throw this one in here because I didn't want to start a new thread for meeting with former IU players. Had to help my aunt open an account at United Fidelity. Anyway our own Derek Elston was the guy helping. Was awesome to catch up with him....said he just spoke with Jordy yesterday and good things coming. Not sure if that meant for our recruit on campus or just in general. He also said that Brian Walsh is the real deal....has heard nothing but great things about him.

Talked about the Sampson time a bit, Crean was all work....I'll also just add this. Archie was just so regimented. Zero personal side to him....he didn't come out and say it specifically but a couple years of Archie was all it took for him to take this new position. 

He and his wife just had a little one and wife has a restaurant or something in Zionsville. Good to see him, see him doing well...and also good the vibe I got from him about not only this year but future years to come. He didn't say a cloud was over Bloomington under Archie....but just so tense. Nobody was having fun. Not the case anymore. All smiles and laughter in the 812.

I actually work at the same bank he does just not the same location. I’ve spoken to him on numerous occasions and it seemed like him and Walsh got pretty close when they were both there. I try to not too bug him too much about IU basketball as I feel like that would just annoy him to continually ask him about how much he knows with recruits etc etc

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll throw this one in here because I didn't want to start a new thread for meeting with former IU players. Had to help my aunt open an account at United Fidelity. Anyway our own Derek Elston was the guy helping. Was awesome to catch up with him....said he just spoke with Jordy yesterday and good things coming. Not sure if that meant for our recruit on campus or just in general. He also said that Brian Walsh is the real deal....has heard nothing but great things about him.

Talked about the Sampson time a bit, Crean was all work....I'll also just add this. Archie was just so regimented. Zero personal side to him....he didn't come out and say it specifically but a couple years of Archie was all it took for him to take this new position. 

He and his wife just had a little one and wife has a restaurant or something in Zionsville. Good to see him, see him doing well...and also good the vibe I got from him about not only this year but future years to come. He didn't say a cloud was over Bloomington under Archie....but just so tense. Nobody was having fun. Not the case anymore. All smiles and laughter in the 812.

I love hearing stuff like this whether good or bad.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I actually work at the same bank he does just not the same location. I’ve spoken to him on numerous occasions and it seemed like him and Walsh got pretty close when they were both there. I try to not too bug him too much about IU basketball as I feel like that would just annoy him to continually ask him about how much he knows with recruits etc etc

That would be tough but I get it. Used to bump up against some former IU guys all the time....there's always that delicate balance of treating a former IU player like a normal person even though they aren't...haha.