Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

Montverde plays basically the toughest schedule imaginable for a HS player. Ben Simmons, Dangelo Russell, and a host of others have went there. Its located right on Lake Apopka right outside Orlando, so probably a pretty nice place to live. BUT I hate these basketball factories... he doesn't get to play for the IN All Stars now, that and being Mr. Basketball were two of the top reasons Romeo decided to stay. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this could be absolutely nothing, I don't take it as a positive sign for either IU OR Purdue.  Shows me that Newman isn't as much of an Indiana player as we'd like to think.  He could absolutely end up right back in Indiana, but now that he's shown a willingness to travel and live away from home, I can't see how that can be painted as a positive for any Indiana school.

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

While this could be absolutely nothing, I don't take it as a positive sign for either IU OR Purdue.  Shows me that Newman isn't as much of an Indiana player as we'd like to think.  He could absolutely end up right back in Indiana, but now that he's shown a willingness to travel and live away from home, I can't see how that can be painted as a positive for any Indiana school.

Not so fast, my friend.  Word on the street is that Brandon inquired to the IU staff as to how, and where he could  best improve his game.  And the recommendation for the Florida academy came from a staff member.  Rather than losing traction with Brandon, it sounds more and more like he is relying upon the IU staff in terms of his future. 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not so fast, my friend.  Word on the street is that Brandon inquired to the IU staff as to how, and where he could improve his game.  And the recommendation for the Florida academy came from a staff member.  Rather than losing traction with Brandon, it sounds more and more like he is relying upon the IU staff in terms of his future. 

If this is in fact true an IU staff member suggested he move out of state to a basketball factory then that is a great way to piss off in state coaches.  Tell a kid to leave his home school and move to another state does not sound like the advice a coaching staff would give if trying to lock down the states recruits, sounds like a great way to be treated like Mike Davis and Tom Crean by the high school coaches in Indiana.

3 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

If this is in fact true an IU staff member suggested he move out of state to a basketball factory then that is a great way to piss off in state coaches.  Tell a kid to leave his home school and move to another state does not sound like the advice a coaching staff would give if trying to lock down the states recruits, sounds like a great way to be treated like Mike Davis and Tom Crean by the coaches in Indiana.

This seems like an overreaction to me.  This kid is clearly better than he is being ranked and wants to improve that somehow.  If this is what is best for the kid, and it pisses off the Valparaiso coaching staff, then I am sure the IU coaches are willing to live with that.

Just now, bstall76 said:

If this is in fact true an IU staff member suggested he move out of state to a basketball factory then that is a great way to piss off in state coaches.  Tell a kid to leave his home school and move to another state does not sound like the advice a coaching staff would give if trying to lock down the states recruits, sounds like a great way to be treated like Mike Davis and Tom Crean by the coaches in Indiana.

Well, let me make one thing clear.  It WASN'T Archie who made the recommendation.  But rather a staff member who has built up a friendship with the Florida staff.  At least that is what came my way.

Personally feel the Langford commit , and how it came from nowhere to a commit.... has built up enough cred among Indiana H.S. coaches to not let this effect them.

I will say.  I am sad to see a kid from NWI leave the state.  Regardless of reason. 

I had heard there was a connection on the staff with Montverde.  I just do not like the concept if a player being told the best thing for his development was to move 1100 miles away.  Maybe I am overreacting, has been known to happen, I just hope this is not a common thing.  Maybe the staff knows getting kids from NWI will be hard and like the odds better if they are not up there, though they did pull RP and DA, who knows. As always thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I had heard there was a connection on the staff with Montverde.  I just do not like the concept if a player being told the best thing for his development was to move 1100 miles away.  Maybe I am overreacting, has been known to happen, I just hope this is not a common thing.  Maybe the staff knows getting kids from NWI will be hard and like the odds better if they are not up there, who knows. As always thanks for the info.

Good points.  And I like the part about the only way to get a kid out of NWI is to take him out of that PU rich environment.... and send him out of state.  So... was there more to this than on the face of it ?     LOL

Bottom line for me.   Parents still in charge.  They have to put a stamp of approval on this.  And apparently they have.  So, when one thinks about it, in that context, the people who should know Brandon best, feel the move is in his best interest. 

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not so fast, my friend.  Word on the street is that Brandon inquired to the IU staff as to how, and where he could  best improve his game.  And the recommendation for the Florida academy came from a staff member.  Rather than losing traction with Brandon, it sounds more and more like he is relying upon the IU staff in terms of his future. 

Sounds like an IU commit ready to happen

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I too am not fond of Indiana kids going to basketball academies outside the state, but if this was indeed as you said, I'll set my concerns aside.  Thanks for the insight.

I'll just say this. Not real happy that Newman is leaving the state but he and his family are choosing to do that.

Unless it was a very specific reason...I have a hard time believing any IU coach said head to Florida...unless it was something very specific like academics. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Sounds like an IU commit ready to happen

Not so sure about that.  Back in March, Brandon was quoted in one of the NWI papers as saying : " I am going to take a long time to decide."

But as we know with teenagers, things tend to change from day to day.

Apparently, basketball academies have been recruiting Brandon for some time now.

I saw this story, but basically blew it off when it came out, and then forgot about it, till today.

Note.... Valpo's coach said he would be supportive of Brandon, regardless of his decision :

Valparaiso's Brandon Newman weighing prep school options while getting ready to play for Indiana Junior All-Stars - Chicago Tribune

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not so sure about that.  Back in March, Brandon was quoted in one of the NWI papers as saying : " I am going to take a long time to decide."

But as we know with teenagers, things tend to change from day to day.

Apparently, basketball academies have been recruiting Brandon for some time now.

I saw this story, but basically blew it off when it came out, and then forgot about it, till today.

Note.... Valpo's coach said he would be supportive of Brandon, regardless of his decision :

Valparaiso's Brandon Newman weighing prep school options while getting ready to play for Indiana Junior All-Stars - Chicago Tribune

Newman inquired to the IU staff about where he could improve his game. I could be wrong. But that leads me to believe that he’s going to be at IU. Seems logical to me. Have to wait and see. Appreciate the info Mile

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate seeing any Indiana kid leaving the state to play at one of these basketball factories.  I guess being part of Indiana basketball and trying to win a state championship or playing for the all star team doesn't mean anything any more.

Going away from one class BB had a lot to do with it, IMHO.  Some things just are not what they once were. 

Then again, have to consider the OAD option, that the NBA has done nothing to change.  Young men chasing a dream. 

2 hours ago, bstall76 said:

I had heard there was a connection on the staff with Montverde.  I just do not like the concept if a player being told the best thing for his development was to move 1100 miles away.  Maybe I am overreacting, has been known to happen, I just hope this is not a common thing.  Maybe the staff knows getting kids from NWI will be hard and like the odds better if they are not up there, though they did pull RP and DA, who knows. As always thanks for the info.

Maybe the kid asked the staff for a good prep school??

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Only way that happens is if the verbal has been secured. 

Not the way I see it.  Per the link I posted above..... BB academies were recruiting Brandon, since Spring. It would make sense to me that he would reach out to a staff member with connections to the Florida academy.

25 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not the way I see it.  Per the link I posted above..... BB academies were recruiting Brandon, since Spring. It would make sense to me that he would reach out to a staff member with connections to the Florida academy.

I guess my only issue there is if people believe he asked for an academy referral...does that mean no one at the other schools who have offered him don't have a relationship to there as well? And if we do believe that part....that's why I said a verbal better be secured. Why would we be helping a kid who would take our help and head elsewhere?

The back story will come out eventually. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess my only issue there is if people believe he asked for an academy referral...does that mean no one at the other schools who have offered him don't have a relationship to there as well? And if we do believe that part....that's why I said a verbal better be secured. Why would we be helping a kid who would take our help and head elsewhere?

You want to show the player that you respect their wishes so of course you help him if he asks. If you don’t then he’ll just get help elsewhere and it could potentially ruin your standing.

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You know I respect you, highly.  And I guess I took your post incorrectly.  Thinking you were saying that a silent verbal must have been secured.  My bad.

I just think Brandon was getting recruited by BB academies.  And simply went to IU for advice.  One thing.  Shows he respects the staff.  And again, his parents have ok'd the move.  I'm disappointed that I won't be able to follow him in Indiana.  No doubt.

Archived