Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

Personally I think it’s a good move for him.  I think the biggest benefit to Newman will be learning the time management that will be required when he reaches University wherever that may be.  I played two sports at IU and it’s not easy to get everything together.  He mentioned that as one of his reasons for the move along with the desire to play against the best competition possible.  To me he sounds like he’s got his head screwed on properly.  In relationship to those two goals I think even one year will make a big difference if as he stated “he wants to make an immediate impact wherever he attends school.” (Paraphrased)  I would love for him to end up at IU and I don’t think this move necessarily diminishes the odds of that happening

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting this. Quick question. 4th point about people in his ear. Are they telling him that because he needs the challenge of better players as motivation? If the competition has to be better for a player to be motivated I'm not sure what I think about that.

Honestly- I think they're telling him the basic cliche's of prep schools.  Better competition, more time to play basketball, more exposure, better development....etc.  But let's face it, high school kids are pretty impressionable.  A lot of prep schools probably give the kids the impression that all the major recruits and NBA players go to prep schools make them feel they'll be inferior if they don't leave....and a lot of kids will be leave simply out of the fear that they are missing an opportunity that will cost them.  

44 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Personally I think it’s a good move for him.  I think the biggest benefit to Newman will be learning the time management that will be required when he reaches University wherever that may be.  I played to sports at IU and it’s not easy to get everything together.  He mentioned that as one of his reasons for the move along with the desire to play against the best competition possible.  To me he sounds like he’s got his head screwed on properly.  In relationship to those two goals I think even one year will make a big difference if as he stated “he wants to make an immediate impact wherever he attends school.” (Paraphrased)  I would love for him to end up at IU and I don’t think this move necessarily diminishes the odds of that happening

Agree on time management part. Had a few friends including one basketball player who played sports during my time at IU. Time management is the hardest thing to learn when arriving. If he's going the academy route for this benefit and playing against better competition. No complaints here one bit.

8 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Honestly- I think they're telling him the basic cliche's of prep schools.  Better competition, more time to play basketball, more exposure, better development....etc.  But let's face it, high school kids are pretty impressionable.  A lot of prep schools probably give the kids the impression that all the major recruits and NBA players go to prep schools make them feel they'll be inferior if they don't leave....and a lot of kids will be leave simply out of the fear that they are missing an opportunity that will cost them.  

Except for the Romeo Langford's of the world. So thankful we have a kid like him. Appreciate your input and follow up!

Hmm...not sure how I feel about this. One part says do you not feel loyalty to your community and friends you grew up with? You only get one chance to enjoy high school...innocence and friendships...or what it would mean to win a state championship. The other part of me says if my kid had a chance to achieve his dreams and play in the NBA I would do everything possible to help him achieve it. Not sure if a prep school gives him a better shot but who knows. 

My other feeling is what is the coach at Valpo doing if he is running a premier program if he isn’t leaning on his athletic director to schedule out of state. Get his team in some premier tournaments across the nation. You have one of the best kids in the state you should highlight that and travel. Add several of those types of games to the regular schedule and you get kids and a community excited. Be hard for a kid to complain about competition and also to walk out on his team when they have games scheduled say a trip to Florida or to NY. Anyways maybe they did I didn’t have time to check the link. Hope this works out for the kid...sorry the state will miss out on what would surely have been a special senior season.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...not sure how I feel about this. One part says do you not feel loyalty to your community and friends you grew up with? You only get one chance to enjoy high school...innocence and friendships...or what it would mean to win a state championship. The other part of me says if my kid had a chance to achieve his dreams and play in the NBA I would do everything possible to help him achieve it. Not sure if a prep school gives him a better shot but who knows. 

My other feeling is what is the coach at Valpo doing if he is running a premier program if he isn’t leaning on his athletic director to schedule out of state. Get his team in some premier tournaments across the nation. You have one of the best kids in the state you should highlight that and travel. Add several of those types of games to the regular schedule and you get kids and a community excited. Be hard for a kid to complain about competition and also to walk out on his team when they have games scheduled say a trip to Florida or to NY. Anyways maybe they did I didn’t have time to check the link. Hope this works out for the kid...sorry the state will miss out on what would surely have been a special senior season.

Or at the very least, book some of the better Chicago programs.  Not that far of a trip... all by bus.  I know a lot of the Gary schools booked several Chicago schools at one time. 

5 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Still, there's rumors right now regarding Newman and his situation and it's worth pointing out that Race left his high school team.  I hope Indiana high school basketball coaches don't see an IU recruiting visit as being a sign that your team will now be dismantled.  

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I read the post. Now I'll ask again.. HS coaches getting upset about what exactly? 

Here you go. I copied the relevant part so you can follow the conversation. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I read the post. Now I'll ask again.. HS coaches getting upset about what exactly? 

In the case of Race Thompson- he graduated high school early and re-classified.  I realize that's his decision, and it probably benefited us, and it could benefit him.  Also- I have no idea if that was encouraged by the staff, presented as an option, or something Race and his parents decided to do entirely himself.

However....if I was a high school coach and it seemed like Archie was really pressing him to do this, would I at the least a little disappointed.  And yes- some coaches would take it personally if they felt a college coach encouraged a kid to leave high school early....especially if it was just to redshirt.  And if high school coaches felt like every time Archie recruited a kid, he never stays for a senior year, then I could definitely see some taking it personally or at least getting really stressed.  

Again, I never said that Archie is encouraging kids to leave for prep schools, nor that he is pressing kids to graduate quickly.  I'm just saying that I could see these types of situations being ones that put college and high school coaches at odds with one another and need to be handled carefully.  And even if college coaches do all the right things, there's probably been more than a few high school coaches that weren't happy with a college coach for a situation like this.  

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Or at the very least, book some of the better Chicago programs.  Not that far of a trip... all by bus.  I know a lot of the Gary schools booked several Chicago schools at one time. 

At the minimum. Down here we have the Marshall County Hoopfest and the local school is not elite level in the least imo but the community and facilities is pretty top notch and they spend a ton to bring in teams from all over...Canada...Ohio...Florida...they’ve had Carmelo, Thon Maker, Kevin Durant etc etc...solid teams like Oak Hill Academy...all these elite teams play each other...it’s competition like that these academies afford their players...but the local schools here usually get like one game over the 3-4 days to play one of these schools while playing other elite high school teams in our area. If you have elite talent and team you have to search out these tournaments all over the country and play in them. If these kentucky high school kids are getting this chance and they are no where near as talented as our Indiana boys but it just goes to show the opportunities that are out there and if you have an elite player or team you should be working a couple years in advance to get your kids in this type of atmosphere.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At the minimum. Down here we have the Marshall County Hoopfest and the local school is not elite level in the least imo but the community and facilities is pretty top notch and they spend a ton to bring in teams from all over...Canada...Ohio...Florida...they’ve had Carmelo, Thon Maker, Kevin Durant etc etc...solid teams like Oak Hill Academy...all these elite teams play each other...it’s competition like that these academies afford their players...but the local schools here usually get like one game over the 3-4 days to play one of these schools while playing other elite high school teams in our area. If you have elite talent and team you have to search out these tournaments all over the country and play in them. If these kentucky high school kids are getting this chance and they are no where near as talented as our Indiana boys but it just goes to show the opportunities that are out there and if you have an elite player or team you should be working a couple years in advance to get your kids in this type of atmosphere.

They did get in the Newcastle tourney and I think they were supposed to play against TJD.  

Not sure if they scheduled anything else.  Other than Christmas Break, which will be in New Castle, I don't think there's that many other breaks in the schedule.  

I think there may be an IHSAA rule against against playing too many games out of state too 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Here you go. I copied the relevant part so you can follow the conversation. 

There were multiple things a hs coach could have been upset about, so I wanted to be clear... not really sure where you get the thought that you're so much better than everyone else that you're too good to ever explain yourself,  my god. 

But..  why does he look bad on a hs coach to be upset about losing top notch talent.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There were multiple things a hs coach could have been upset about, so I wanted to be clear... not really sure where you get the thought that you're so much better than everyone else that you're too good to ever explain yourself,  my god. 

But..  why does he look bad on a hs coach to be upset about losing top notch talent? 

Dont be a prick if you decide to respond. 

I responded to explain and Blazin responded to explain the exact same thing. You’re just trying to start an argument as you tend to do. Play your game with someone else please. 

6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I responded to explain and Blazin responded to explain the exact same thing. You’re just trying to start an argument as you tend to do. Play your game with someone else please. 

Nope. You didn't explain yourself at all. I just wanted to be clear about what you were saying before I responded.. good grief. Touchy much? Dont worry I'll never ask anything of you again. Lol

HS coach has every right to not be happy with Newman and Races decisions. 

26 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

They did get in the Newcastle tourney and I think they were supposed to play against TJD.  

Not sure if they scheduled anything else.  Other than Christmas Break, which will be in New Castle, I don't think there's that many other breaks in the schedule.  

I think there may be an IHSAA rule against against playing too many games out of state too 

Yeah I’ve been to the New Castle one a few times...admittedly not in a while. It was mostly top Indiana teams facing each other at the time. Remember going to see Jefferies play Randolph. Do they bring in out of state teams now? Not sure about IHSAA rules so that might be a good point. Didn’t New Albany bring in a top team from Ohio with a really good player? Seems like it would benefit these schools to do that and then like you said go out of state around holidays. Thus you could do something like the New Castle thing where you play a couple top in state teams then have a top school out of state do a home and home and then go to a hoop fest on a trip. As far as I know even in state you could schedule anyone you like. If your conference/region is down then go find some Indy schools or another team with a top recruit. Like I said...AD needs to get it done. He is letting down the school and community. Kid shouldn’t have to go to an academy to play elite talent. Should be able to find enough in and around the state to satisfy his hunger. On top of that they should be building his resume for Mr. Basketball. Really promoting the kid...all that attention for him would make it hard to leave school. Otherwise I can’t blame him for wanting to go play for someone who does promote their program.

I hope it’s true that Newman likes IU.  He sounds like a great fit at IU.  We’ve talked about his shooting ability.  He rebounds well for a guard too.   To me that speaks to effort and being team oriented.  

As far as I can tell, Archie seems to be doing what he can to ensure a good relationship with high school coaches.  He visits them, respects them, talks them up, let’s them visit practice whenever they want, has team camps, etc.  

There will always be one-offs or situations that aren’t perfect in a high school coach's mind, but so long as Archie tends to those situations as far as politics goes, he should be fine.  He’s obviously not trying to divert a bunch of Indiana high school coaches to prep school factories.  That’s not his move.   He can call the Valpo coach and smooth things over.   It’s when a coach doesn’t tend to these things that things can go bad.  And I sure wouldn’t want many more guys going prep lest we be accused of a trend.  

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know about that, but I know there is a distance restriction.

So on how far they can go or how many times they can go out of the area. How do these cheerleaders get to go to nationals in Orlando etc. I see teams here go to Florida for basketball, softball, baseball etc at least once a year. Obviously they have to raise the funds but parents always do. If that is the case the IHSAA needs to be pressured for some changes. These kids travel the country all the time now days with these AAU and travel league teams nothing wrong if the parents and schools are ok with it in letting them.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So on how far they can go or how many times they can go out of the area. How do these cheerleaders get to go to nationals in Orlando etc. I see teams here go to Florida for basketball, softball, baseball etc at least once a year. Obviously they have to raise the funds but parents always do. If that is the case the IHSAA needs to be pressured for some changes. These kids travel the country all the time now days with these AAU and travel league teams nothing wrong if the parents and schools are ok with it in letting them.

I will have to dig into it.  But there was a distance rule.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I doubt Archie implied that he needs to go to an academy...after all he already offered him. Archie knows how good he can be. More than likely the kids parents/handlers noticed his meteoric rise during AAU and his shot up the ranking charts and said if playing AAU got him this big jump if he was playing against the best day in and out he could see 5 star status and perhaps expand the schools he was getting offers from and generate hype that perhaps could extend to an NBA career. He was just getting low mid majors until us and Purdue was offering. Maybe he wants to play at UNC or someone outside the BIG footprint. This exposure will likely give him that opportunity. Hopefully he just wants to get better so he can contribute at IU right away and not risk getting buried on the depth chart. But playing somewhere else could be his goal have to be realistic.

Archived