Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Interesting development with Newman returning to Valpo due to his moms health. Just a reminder that there’s more to life than just the game of basketball. Hoosier prayers with the Newman’s 🙏🏼

Thanks Doc. Here's a short story :Purdue basketball target Brandon Newman returning to Valparaiso

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wow. Definitely puts things in perspective...him and some of us on this board. I would say this also means he may want to stay close to home. Not that recruiting is important right now but that would put Purdue and IU in a strong position.

My non-expert guess is that he is strongly leaning toward Purdue.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, dgambill said:

Yes. I was just saying I'm sure even their admission standards for their student athletes are still pretty high compared to most state schools. I know I've read numerous times where it's affected the football recruiting. Just because they can lower it doesn't mean they do lower (as much as others). So I can see where it might turn some players away for the basketball program because they wouldn't meet the requirements....still they have every bit as good a basketball reputation as Purdue. Maybe its the catholic thing or the make up of the student body that players shy away. They definitely play a nationally televised schedule for certain so it's hard to say.

It’s actually pretty common knowledge that Notre Dame will give its football coach a few exceptions a year for kids that might have grades and scores that are not consistent with the rest of the players they go after. However, they all have to write essays that are pretty deep and involved like the rest of the student body has to, and this is just one step in gaining acceptance. When Urban Interviewed for the job he requested 5 favors(meaning 5 kids that Notre Dame would not normally accept)as one of his necessities in considering the job, also requested the trading table(which Swarbrick implemented 4-5 years ago), and more control over punishment of his players, and less input from Du Lac over punishment. He just felt he couldn’t win at ND if he didn’t get the things he requested. Lou Holts was given a handful of exceptions every year as well which ended up being his main down fall. The higher ups at ND didn’t like the egg on their face after the Randy Moss incident in West Virginia when he was a high school senior and already committed to Notre Dame. The famous words of Mike Wadsworth were “ its time, and were not happy with the type of kids you’re recruiting to Our school” Holtz first found this out on the plane ride home from Ireland after playing Navy.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ohio State continues to be in on the same guys we are. I’m more worried about them then PU honestly.

I just enjoy laughing at Purdue and the goofy fans on the GBI forum.  One idiot said both Newman & Franklin would be committing on the 30th.

There is one guy over there (BoilerIron) that I pay attention to.  He actually seems to know quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I just enjoy laughing at Purdue and the goofy fans on the GBI forum.  One idiot said both Newman & Franklin would be committing on the 30th.

There is one guy over there (BoilerIron) that I pay attention to.  He actually seems to know quite a bit.

I think Franklin might end up at Purdue but I’ve thought Newman has been itching to expand his horizons for some time (Florida move spoke to that). Of course his family situation has changed but I think IU would make a lot of sense. Could have a role right away after Romeo leaves and still out of the gloomy NW of the state but close to home for family. OSU with Holtman will continue to be a thorn in our sides I’m afraid.

Just now, dgambill said:

I think Franklin might end up at Purdue but I’ve thought Newman has been itching to expand his horizons for some time (Florida move spoke to that). Of course his family situation has changed but I think IU would make a lot of sense. Could have a role right away after Romeo leaves and still out of the gloomy NW of the state but close to home for family. OSU with Holtman will continue to be a thorn in our sides I’m afraid.

Holtman should be strong, but the days of getting Indiana players recruited by IU are gone.  This coach is a clear level or two above Mike Davis and Tom Crean and is going to keep a lot more elite recruits home.  Considering the player he pulled out of Ohio, I'd say it's more likely IU is a real thorn in OSU's side.  Holtman may get a player like Carton who has no ties to Indiana, but when it comes to homegrown talent, as long as IU has available scholarships, Holtman is going to find it an uphill battle for players that Archie wants.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and it looks like one way or the other, he's not going very far.

So Purdue didn't get any commitments this weekend?

All I can say is Brandon did not commit to PU this weekend as far as I know.  Also. I was told to possibly expect an OV to IU next weekend.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Holtman should be strong, but the days of getting Indiana players recruited by IU are gone.  This coach is a clear level or two above Mike Davis and Tom Crean and is going to keep a lot more elite recruits home.  Considering the player he pulled out of Ohio, I'd say it's more likely IU is a real thorn in OSU's side.  Holtman may get a player like Carton who has no ties to Indiana, but when it comes to homegrown talent, as long as IU has available scholarships, Holtman is going to find it an uphill battle for players that Archie wants.

I hope so. But given his ties to coaches in the area he still is going to have a strong influence. Given OSU is imo the premier athletics school in the B1G and has resources and a gravitas that is among the nations elite it causes me more concern them say Purdue. I’m not trying to minimize IU...especially for our basketball recruits but OSU athletics is a power house. I believe Archie has done a wonderful job and continues to strengthen our standing but to me OSU is on a different level then Purdue so it’s much more competition. I don’t take them lightly.

Archived