Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I love how recruits are like "I'm going to take my time. It will probably be a spring decision."

...until they see their spot taken and realize they're going to have to go with their 2nd or 3rd choice. 😂😂😂

Yep, I think that was a situation of overestimating where you really stand in the pecking order.  You wait for guys like TJD and Romeo Langford.  When you have more of a toss up like Franklin and Newman, it is first to commit.

Newman and Painter will have at least one thing to bond over, they would have both preferred to be at IU before they had to settle for Purdue.

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m bummed. I get first come first serve thing but if you are going to get one or the other is pressuring to commit necessary? Or maybe Newman was a Purdue lean all along. Not looking forward to Newman sticking it to us for for years.

He's a fine player, but we got a fine player. I'm sure he was told that we only had room for one of the two based on our projections. Archie doesn't want to wait until 2019 to completely construct the 2019 class and I don't blame him. Newman being the odd man out here was a message to other recruits...string IU along at your own risk.  Coach is moving on with his plans. If you want to be a part of those plans, you'd best speak up and quickly. I like that message.

34 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m bummed. I get first come first serve thing but if you are going to get one or the other is pressuring to commit necessary? Or maybe Newman was a Purdue lean all along. Not looking forward to Newman sticking it to us for for years.

Maybe Purdue fans won't look forward to Armaan Franklin giving them the business the next 4 years either.

I understand where you are coming from but all 3 guards were told what the situation was and AF knew where he wanted to go. I would rather have AF and KB then AF and BN

Let's not forget about the connection between Valpo High School, and Coach Painter.  In the end, I believe that Hummel, and possibly Martin to a lesser extent, played a part in Brandon choosing Purdue.

And again.... the hex PU has over IU in terms of NWI kids, continues.  

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Let's not forget about the connection between Valpo High School, and Coach Painter.  In the end, I believe that Hummel, and possibly Martin to a lesser extent, played a part in Brandon choosing Purdue.

And again.... the hex PU has over IU in terms of NWI kids, continues.  

That may be Mile...can't say, but it sure looked like Newman had strong interest in IU. His stock rose and that tempted him to expand his offers. He just stood there looking around too long while Franklin took his seat on the bus.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Personally would have rather had the shooter, but I do think it’s a positive going forward that Archie has sent the message to 3/4 star in-state recruits that IU isnt going to be waiting around for them.  Hopefully it turns out that we got the better player.

Ronnie Johnson and Travis Carroll : Yogi Ferrell and Cody Zeller :: Brandon Newman : Armaan Franklin? We shall see if the trend continues...

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep, I think that was a situation of overestimating where you really stand in the pecking order.  You wait for guys like TJD and Romeo Langford.  When you have more of a toss up like Franklin and Newman, it is first to commit.

Newman and Painter will have at least one thing to bond over, they would have both preferred to be at IU before they had to settle for Purdue.

Knight messed it up with Painter no doubt. Don’t think you can say for sure that Newman preferred IU over Purdue. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Knight messed it up with Painter no doubt. Don’t think you can say for sure that Newman preferred IU over Purdue. 

No, we can't.  There were several signs that he really liked IU and the crystal ballers thought it was IU all the way, but likely no one will know for sure where he was leaning prior to AF's commit.  What I knew for sure was that we would eventually have a @Stlboiler23 sighting here. :P

You got me curious though...all I remember is that Painter really wanted to go to IU.  What I don't remember was who IU took in his place.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

No, we can't.  There were several signs that he really liked IU and the crystal ballers thought it was IU all the way, but likely no one will know for sure where he was leaning prior to AF's commit.  What I knew for sure was that we would eventually have a @Stlboiler23 sighting here. :P

You got me curious though...all I remember is that Painter really wanted to go to IU.  What I don't remember was who IU took in his place.

Pretty sure Knight took Todd Leary as he thought it would help him land Eric Montross which obviously backfired. 

Hearing today that there might be more going on with Charmaigne (Brandon's mom), than just health issues.  Which caused Brandon to commit earlier than expected, so he could be assured of being closer to home.   Yes. Closer than B-town. 

I do live in Colorado.  However, I do have friends living in Valpo.  That is all. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing today that there might be more going on with Charmaigne (Brandon's mom), than just health issues.  Which caused Brandon to commit earlier than expected, so he could be assured of being closer to home.   Yes. Closer than B-town. 

I do live in Colorado.  However, I do have friends living in Valpo.  That is all. 

Well I wish him well, but I do think he waited just a bit too long to get the "blue blood" offer he was excited about.  I'm not doubting geography played a role, especially when IU was off the table, but I think Bloomington was close enough he could have made that work if he'd pulled the trigger.  Nevertheless, he's living his dream...playing Power 5 college ball in his home state, so all is not lost by any measure.

I also think if you got a real candid answer from Archie, he probably slightly preferred Newman due to IU's perceived need post-Romeo...just not enough to wait for him.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well I wish him well, but I do think he waited just a bit too long to get the "blue blood" offer he was excited about.  I'm not doubting geography played a role, especially when IU was off the table, but I think Bloomington was close enough he could have made that work if he'd pulled the trigger.  Nevertheless, he's living his dream...playing Power 5 college ball in his home state, so all is not lost by any measure.

I also think if you got a real candid answer from Archie, he probably slightly preferred Newman due to IU's perceived need post-Romeo...just not enough to wait for him.

Who knows, were both guessing...but I actually got the opposite impression that for some reason he preferred AF over BN based on the timing of visits. I know if I'm coach and I might want one over the other, I'd tell BN...hey might be a good idea to bump up your visit before AF takes the first crack. FYI, before the commitment I did think BN > AF by a small margin, but now I'm guessing Archie really liked something about AF that isn't captured in the rankings...

Archived