Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

11 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Who knows, were both guessing...but I actually got the opposite impression that for some reason he preferred AF over BN based on the timing of visits. I know if I'm coach and I might want one over the other, I'd tell BN...hey might be a good idea to bump up your visit before AF takes the first crack. FYI, before the commitment I did think BN > AF by a small margin, but now I'm guessing Archie really liked something about AF that isn't captured in the rankings...

You're right...mine is a pure guess based on what I know which is almost all third party info.  I'd agree that if Archie really wanted Newman over Franklin, he would not have played it the way he did.  Ultimately, I think he valued them at least mostly at the same level.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Ronnie Johnson and Travis Carroll : Yogi Ferrell and Cody Zeller :: Brandon Newman : Armaan Franklin? We shall see if the trend continues...

I remember Purdue fans talking up those players. Travis Carroll was going to dominate Cody Zeller. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Knight messed it up with Painter no doubt. Don’t think you can say for sure that Newman preferred IU over Purdue. 

Gentle ribbing.  If we were all being honest with ourselves, I think both fanbases would be equally happy with the results right now it the two kids' choices were flipped. 

I think this was a win/win either way for both schools.  Both kids appear to be quality guys.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good player...glad he stayed in the state. Hope he doesn't kill us down the line like other Indiana HS kids we didn't get. Good luck to Brandon as long as he isn't playing us!

Even though he opted for PU.... I am looking forward to watching him in conference, much like I did with Hummel.  In state kid. We get to watch.  Not saying he considered a school far from home.  Rather, that we get to watch an Indiana kid.... instead of missing his games, had he strayed far from home.   Shooters like him, don't come along that often. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I remember Purdue fans talking up those players. Travis Carroll was going to dominate Cody Zeller. 

Don’t remember anyone saying that Carroll would be better than Zeller. Outside of maybe a few crazies, that would’ve been a terrible prediction. Purdue fans knew that Cody would be really good. 

3 hours ago, CapnRon said:

I have a feeling there was something Archie liked about AF, and I gotta defer to Mr. Miller on this one.

I would say scoring 30 while shutting down Eric Hunter last year was a pretty good start. I know that NW Indiana has been troublesome for us...but unless my geography needs a lesson...we just pulled Damezi and RP from there. Add to the fact that we chose AF...but more than likely could have had Newman if he pulled sooner...tells me Archie isn't aware of the Northwest Indiana troubles.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I would say scoring 30 while shutting down Eric Hunter last year was a pretty good start. I know that NW Indiana has been troublesome for us...but unless my geography needs a lesson...we just pulled Damezi and RP from there. Add to the fact that we chose AF...but more than likely could have had Newman if he pulled sooner...tells me Archie isn't aware of the Northwest Indiana troubles.

South Bend isn’t NW Indiana. NW Indiana would be The Region aka Valpo, Merrillville,  Crown Point, etc...

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t remember anyone saying that Carroll would be better than Zeller. Outside of maybe a few crazies, that would’ve been a terrible prediction. Purdue fans knew that Cody would be really good. 

It must have been the free Rivals board, but yeah...I saw that a lot.  Was hilarious to watch too because I'd watched Cody destroy Travis and Danville at semi-state when he was a year younger.  Travis looked like he was carrying a spare tire even then.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It must have been the free Rivals board, but yeah...I saw that a lot.  Was hilarious to watch too because I'd watched Cody destroy Travis and Danville at semi-state when he was a year younger.  Travis looked like he was carrying a spare tire even then.

Yeah I’m sure it happened but that’s crazy. It was obvious who’d be better haha. 

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That was the place. Is there any better free PU boards? Even the fans I know laugh about that one. 

I think they claimed Eastern or Hunter is going to stop Romeo. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Even though he opted for PU.... I am looking forward to watching him in conference, much like I did with Hummel.  In state kid. We get to watch.  Not saying he considered a school far from home.  Rather, that we get to watch an Indiana kid.... instead of missing his games, had he strayed far from home.   Shooters like him, don't come along that often. 

I agree. It's crazy how many in state guys leave that I just kind of forget about. 

51 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

South Bend isn’t NW Indiana. NW Indiana would be The Region aka Valpo, Merrillville,  Crown Point, etc...

Yes.  "The Region" . I have always considered Valpo which is basically North of U.S. 30, to be part of the region, while purists, like me , consider anything South of U.S. 30, such as Crown Point not to be part of "The Region".  Therefore, Chesterson, Hammond, Whiting, and anything North of U.S. 30, and West to the Illinois border, to me has always been NWI... or "The Region".  Not taking anything away from anything East of "The Region" but it is simply Northern Indiana.  Certainly, a ton of good players have come out of that area, such as Delray Brooks, from Michigan City, and others further East of there.  I agree with you. As far as I am concerned, Valpo is part of "The Region", while South Bend, though close is not.  While Ft. Wayne is Northern Indiana, it is not part of "The Region".   Lastly, going back for decades.... IU has always had a problem with securing players out of "The Region".  Many go to PU.  Others, such as Brandon Dawson, from Gary, have chosen to  go elsewhere, for whatever reason, that is beyond my comprehension.   And Newman is just the latest in a long list of players from "The Region" to eschew IU for other schools. 

34 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

That was the place. Is there any better free PU boards? Even the fans I know laugh about that one. 

I think they claimed Eastern or Hunter is going to stop Romeo. 

That's the one I always go to for entertainment.  Not sure why it's sometimes referred to as GBI but it's my go-to when this forum gets slow.  Always a good laugh there.  BoilerIron is actually a pretty thoughtful poster, but apparently he told a fib once and got called out on it.  There are 4-5  posters that are so delusional, I'm tempted to sign up just to ask them what kind of magic mushrooms they are ingesting.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's the one I always go to for entertainment.  Not sure why it's sometimes referred to as GBI but it's my go-to when this forum gets slow.  Always a good laugh there.  BoilerIron is actually a pretty thoughtful poster, but apparently he told a fib once and got called out on it.  There are 4-5  posters that are so delusional, I'm tempted to sign up just to ask them what kind of magic mushrooms they are ingesting.

Here’s my question: are any of the guys on the free board as bad as gradman?

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well that explains it.  I've never been to btown banners and I haven't been to Peegs in ages.

Peegs is a great site.  Don't get me wrong.  However, 99.9% of the stuff on Peegs is behind a paywall.  Even stuff you can get here, or on other sites such as Btown Banners.  Which I have never been able to understand, as to why Mike hides general knowledge stuff behind a paywall.  

And no. I don't have access to the Peegs paywall.  Just feel that is not the wave of the future.  Much prefer free sites such as The Daily Hoosier. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question: are any of the guys on the free board as bad as gradman?

Here are the posters on the free Purdue rivals forum that I think are absolute idiots:

Mgkcbb, meenie, twindegrees, heller, VulvHa...those are off the top of my head. Abugabby was a 1st class moron as well but I haven't seen him post for awhile.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Here are the posters on the free Purdue rivals forum that I think are absolute idiots:

Mgkcbb, meenie, twindegrees, heller, VulvHa...those are off the top of my head. Abugabby was a 1st class moron as well but I haven't seen him post for awhile.

Mgkcbb is nuts. He posts crazy stuff on the main rivals college basketball board. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yes.  "The Region" . I have always considered Valpo which is basically North of U.S. 30, to be part of the region, while purists, like me , consider anything South of U.S. 30, such as Crown Point not to be part of "The Region".  Therefore, Chesterson, Hammond, Whiting, and anything North of U.S. 30, and West to the Illinois border, to me has always been NWI... or "The Region".  Not taking anything away from anything East of "The Region" but it is simply Northern Indiana.  Certainly, a ton of good players have come out of that area, such as Delray Brooks, from Michigan City, and others further East of there.  I agree with you. As far as I am concerned, Valpo is part of "The Region", while South Bend, though close is not.  While Ft. Wayne is Northern Indiana, it is not part of "The Region".   Lastly, going back for decades.... IU has always had a problem with securing players out of "The Region".  Many go to PU.  Others, such as Brandon Dawson, from Gary, have chosen to  go elsewhere, for whatever reason, that is beyond my comprehension.   And Newman is just the latest in a long list of players from "The Region" to eschew IU for other schools. 

Love you bro, but Valpo sits right on US 30.  To me "The Region" is the Chicago metro area that happens to be in Indiana.  Valpo does not fit my criteria.  That being said(I know I have posted this before) but Northern Indiana is divided into 3 area codes.  260(NE), 574(NC), and 219(NW).  So by those parameters.....Valpo is NWI, South Bend is North Central IN, and Fort Wayne is NE IN.  And FWIW Lafayette would be considered Central Indiana.....by the Area Code parameters-----765.

That all being said, South Bend is closer to Valpo than Lafayette is........but I could be wrong, let's ask Scott Martin!!!!!!!!

Archived