Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Love you bro, but Valpo sits right on US 30.  To me "The Region" is the Chicago metro area that happens to be in Indiana.  Valpo does not fit my criteria.  That being said(I know I have posted this before) but Northern Indiana is divided into 3 area codes.  260(NE), 574(NC), and 219(NW).  So by those parameters.....Valpo is NWI, South Bend is North Central IN, and Fort Wayne is NE IN.  And FWIW Lafayette would be considered Central Indiana.....by the Area Code parameters-----765.

That all being said, South Bend is closer to Valpo than Lafayette is........but I could be wrong, let's ask Scott Martin!!!!!!!!

That is why I said Valpo is basically North of U.S 30.  While I agree it has grown,  downtown is still North of U.S. 30.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, rico said:

Love you bro, but Valpo sits right on US 30.  To me "The Region" is the Chicago metro area that happens to be in Indiana.  Valpo does not fit my criteria.  That being said(I know I have posted this before) but Northern Indiana is divided into 3 area codes.  260(NE), 574(NC), and 219(NW).  So by those parameters.....Valpo is NWI, South Bend is North Central IN, and Fort Wayne is NE IN.  And FWIW Lafayette would be considered Central Indiana.....by the Area Code parameters-----765.

That all being said, South Bend is closer to Valpo than Lafayette is........but I could be wrong, let's ask Scott Martin!!!!!!!!

I lived in Valpo for a few years, and yes, South Bend is closer to Valpo. It took me 1 hour from downtown Valpo to mishawaka(which is east of South Bend) when i worked for blue and gold illustrated. It took me an hour and 40 min. To west Lafayette. That region is full of Purdon’t and Notre Dame fans from wha5 i saw in my time there, and not as many IU fans were as visible as the previous two mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

I lived in Valpo for a few years, and yes, South Bend is closer to Valpo. It took me 1 hour from downtown Valpo to mishawaka(which is east of South Bend) when i worked for blue and gold illustrated. It took me an hour and 40 min. To west Lafayette. That region is full of Purdon’t and Notre Dame fans from wha5 i saw in my time there, and not as many IU fans were as visible as the previous two mentioned.

I knew I was right, just didn't want to sound like a "know it all".  Pretty familiar with the area myself as well.  All the time I spent in Valpo, I never saw anyone with IU garb on.  I was always amazed.  But I did see alot of ND garb as well as Michigan.  Oh well.

Just feel led to join this conversation on two fronts. Coming from Chesterton I always felt we where tweeners. A rural community between Gary area and Michigan city. While geographically we were definitely  in the region and I routed for teams and players like Pete  Trgovich, Junior Bridgeman and  Delray Brooks (even after they went out of state for college) I always felt like we were outsiders. I imagine that Valpo fans may have had similar feelings but they were a bigger community and bigger school? Somehow I always felt like we didn't fit in with the more urban areas even after the Duneland conference was created and we started playing teams like Crown Point and Merrillville on a regular basis. Just felt out of place, but that is just my personal feeling. 

On to Newman himself, I was kind of on the bandwagon that we need shooters, but as time has gone and now Brandon has gone elsewhere, maybe it is for the better. After all we just went thru the James Blackmon era and all we did was complain about his defense. We all know now that Archie has defense on his mind and maybe Franklin really is the better fit? But as others have stated, regardless it is good that the states best players are again staying in state. Maybe now even better than before!  

21 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just feel led to join this conversation on two fronts. Coming from Chesterton I always felt we where tweeners. A rural community between Gary area and Michigan city. While geographically we were definitely  in the region and I routed for teams and players like Pete  Trgovich, Junior Bridgeman and  Delray Brooks (even after they went out of state for college) I always felt like we were outsiders. I imagine that Valpo fans may have had similar feelings but they were a bigger community and bigger school? Somehow I always felt like we didn't fit in with the more urban areas even after the Duneland conference was created and we started playing teams like Crown Point and Merrillville on a regular basis. Just felt out of place, but that is just my personal feeling. 

On to Newman himself, I was kind of on the bandwagon that we need shooters, but as time has gone and now Brandon has gone elsewhere, maybe it is for the better. After all we just went thru the James Blackmon era and all we did was complain about his defense. We all know now that Archie has defense on his mind and maybe Franklin really is the better fit? But as others have stated, regardless it is good that the states best players are again staying in state. Maybe now even better than before!  

My guess is Newman ends up being a really good defender. 

57 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My guess is Newman ends up being a really good defender. 

Painter does a good job of coaching that tough mindedness and defensive focus into his player. So Newman may very well end up a good defender but one thing we know is that Armaan ALREADY is a good defender. I like what he is going to give us. I think it’s safe to say Franklin will probably never be the shooter Newman is and probably the opposite on the defensive end.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Painter does a good job of coaching that tough mindedness and defensive focus into his player. So Newman may very well end up a good defender but one thing we know is that Armaan ALREADY is a good defender. I like what he is going to give us. I think it’s safe to say Franklin will probably never be the shooter Newman is and probably the opposite on the defensive end.

Spot on.  For all the grief we give Painter here, he installs a hard nosed approach into his kids.  I am sure Newman will be just fine there.  

Archived