Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Cool for you and your high school.  Growing up in NWI in the '60's.... and this is not meant to be a slight.... but at that time... Chesterton was less than a blip in most people's minds.  The big sectionals were in Hammond and Gary.  My.... how times have changed.

No slight taken. Chesterton has never been exactly a hotbed of basketball talent, although we had some decent teams in the 70s-80s. The gym where the shot of Archie was taken is from the giant new (well,new to me) high school. I've never even set foot in that gym, but it looks to be pretty well put together. 

38 minutes ago, BEKA said:

No slight taken. Chesterton has never been exactly a hotbed of basketball talent, although we had some decent teams in the 70s-80s. The gym where the shot of Archie was taken is from the giant new (well,new to me) high school. I've never even set foot in that gym, but it looks to be pretty well put together. 

And yet.  Your and Drrogh's school produced three of the more recent exciting B1G players, of all time, IMHO.  Matt Nover (Mr. Movie Star), Zach Novak (Mr. Iron Man), and Mitch McGary... who overcame many learning disabilities to become a scholarship player in the B1G.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And yet.  Your and Drrogh's school produced three of the more recent exciting B1G players, of all time, IMHO.  Matt Nover (Mr. Movie Star), Zach Novak (Mr. Iron Man), and Mitch McGary... who overcame many learning disabilities to become a scholarship player in the B1G.

Yep. Novak and McGary are quite a bit younger than me. Matt Nover was (I think) a freshman when I was a senior. I didn't know him too well, but ended up befriending him a few years after he graduated from IU and was playing professionally in Portugal. He would spend some of his summers in Bloomington working out and would occasionally come into the restaurant I worked in (I think because he was sweet on one of the waitresses). Anyway, we started chatting and talking about our hometown and had a pretty friendly relationship for awhile. Nice guy and I used to love watching those teams he played on. 

35 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Yep. Novak and McGary are quite a bit younger than me. Matt Nover was (I think) a freshman when I was a senior. I didn't know him too well, but ended up befriending him a few years after he graduated from IU and was playing professionally in Portugal. He would spend some of his summers in Bloomington working out and would occasionally come into the restaurant I worked in (I think because he was sweet on one of the waitresses). Anyway, we started chatting and talking about our hometown and had a pretty friendly relationship for awhile. Nice guy and I used to love watching those teams he played on. 

Cool story.  I really enjoyed your sharing it with us.  I have said it many times over..... it's stories like this.... that members are willing to share... which makes Hoosier Sports Nation special for me.... and separates us.... from all the rest. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Cool story.  I really enjoyed your sharing it with us.  I have said it many times over..... it's stories like this.... that members are willing to share... which makes Hoosier Sports Nation special for me.... and separates us.... from all the rest. 

I don't participate in any other IU BBALL boards. I look at some of them, scroll through the threads. Some of them start off okay, but then just descend into insults, name calling, etc. Everything that I hate about the internet. I'm hooked on HSN precisely due to it's high level of bball knowledge, civility, and just general good discussions. Glad to contribute! Now, let's get Romeo (who I'm currently watching pick apart FC). 

50 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I don't participate in any other IU BBALL boards. I look at some of them, scroll through the threads. Some of them start off okay, but then just descend into insults, name calling, etc. Everything that I hate about the internet. I'm hooked on HSN precisely due to it's high level of bball knowledge, civility, and just general good discussions. Glad to contribute! Now, let's get Romeo (who I'm currently watching pick apart FC). 

All of this is true plus the fact the mods don't put up with no $hit!!!

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

Something we have worked long and hard on.... civil discussion. I am told that a long standing IU forum has recently opened a forum towards civil discussion... something we at HSN have been working at for years. And not just for a forum, but for our entire site.   We currently  have a thread on "The Animal House"  .... so sad.... that could have devolved into a very contentious thread...... yet has turned into a very civil discussion about a very touchy subject. 

Your choice of HSN 3.0 means the world to me, and my fellow mods.... because of the reasons you have expressed.   We set out to establish an IU site with specific ideas in mind.... and one was to have a place where all IU fans could express themselves in a civil manner. And based on your post... so, far I think it is working.  Thanks for your input on this matter.

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Something we have worked long and hard on.... civil discussion. I am told that a long standing IU forum has recently opened a forum towards civil discussion... something we at HSN have been working at for years. And not just for a forum, but for our entire site.   We currently  have a thread on "The Animal House"  .... so sad.... that could have devolved into a very contentious thread...... yet has turned into a very civil discussion about a very touchy subject. 

Your choice of HSN 3.0 means the world to me, and my fellow mods.... because of the reasons you have expressed.   We set out to establish an IU site with specific ideas in mind.... and one was to have a place where all IU fans could express themselves in a civil manner. And based on your post... so, far I think it is working.  Thanks for your input on this matter.

Mile, there is no doubt you are a class act!! I noticed this even on the old board, before 247.....

38 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

All of this is true plus the fact the mods don't put up with no $hit!!!

We are way off topic, but I think this board works because in spite of our differences. we all like each other!! Thanks to the mod's for keeping it that way! And Thanks China for getting us back on topic!!

Have we actually offered him?  I mean, if Archie is in Chesterton the day after playing a game in New York, I would imagine he's probably convinced to go after him.  

I honestly don't see how Newman isn't a top 150 guy with most services.  He's definitely good enough to play for us- and I'm guessing Archie is well aware of that.  

Regardless of what happens with Langford, I respect Archie staying true to his “inside out” comment on his first day as coach.  To come back from NYC and attend games as well as fanning assistants out to other sites may not reap an immediate reward like Langford, but it will have a long-term impact.  Archie is the right guy for IU.  

I have not seen Newman play so I appreciate the info.  I will say this, I’m very happy with Archie’s recruiting approach.  Pound every corner of the state.  That should be our bread and butter.   I also like that Newman is from the NW part of the state.  I would love to see us get in there more, and I like the effort to do so.  

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have not seen Newman play so I appreciate the info.  I will say this, I’m very happy with Archie’s recruiting approach.  Pound every corner of the state.  That should be our bread and butter.   I also like that Newman is from the NW part of the state.  I would love to see us get in there more, and I like the effort to do so.  

Lot of great talent from "The Region" has gone to places other than IU.  I am with you, wanting to see Archie get a foothold in NWI. 

Archived