Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

41 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I'm just not sure it is rushing at this point.  2019 guys are starting to commit.  I just don't want to come in last minute after Purdue, OSU, probably Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan and others.  I'd feel different if I felt good about our other guard offers, but I don't.

It’s a tough call...I wouldn’t be upset with an offer but I’ve got to side with Archie here and go big. Why give up when we haven’t hit a snag yet? Newman would do well to hold out so I think we’d be able to get him later on...maybe.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I'm just not sure it is rushing at this point.  2019 guys are starting to commit.  I just don't want to come in last minute after Purdue, OSU, probably Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan and others.  I'd feel different if I felt good about our other guard offers, but I don't.

Understand and to certain extent agree but that's the recruiting game. Based on what Archie has done in 13 months. I'll side with him and his staff. Sure we'll miss a few here and there.

Besides what we have coming back the next 2 years....I feel like people are still sleeping on RP. Pure PG and a really good one at that. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand and to certain extent agree but that's the recruiting game. Based on what Archie has done in 13 months. I'll side with him and his staff. Sure we'll miss a few here and there.

Besides what we have coming back the next 2 years....I feel like people are still sleeping on RP. Pure PG and a really good one at that. 

He's good but IMO our ability to make a FF run in 2020 will depend on whether we can land a star guard in this class.  That's assuming Romeo is one and done obviously.  Our front court might be the best in the nation if we land TJD along with Brooks or Watford plus Davis, Smith, Hunter, Race, and Forrester.  But you need good guards.  Not sure Green, RP, and Al is enough. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's good but IMO our ability to make a FF run in 2020 will depend on whether we can land a star guard in this class.  That's assuming Romeo is one and done obviously.  Our front court might be the best in the nation if we land TJD along with Brooks or Watford plus Davis, Smith, Hunter, Race, and Forrester.

So you don't think DG as a Senior, AD as a Junior or RP has the ability to lead a team with the others you mentioned? Just asking. I think they are more than capable if we have those other parts.

I get that we want to add talent.  I also realize there is always that Thad Matta/Trey Burke type of situation that could end up happening (especially with home state kids) but so far so good on recruiting. I'll put my faith in our staff. Are we running a risk? Absolutely. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So you are saying that you think Archie and the staff know better than me?  You act like they just landed a big recruit or something.

Actually RP is another reason why I want Newman.  I feel like we have our PG for the next 3-4 years.  I'm more interested in lethal 3 point shooters to play off of him.

As usual, excellent analysis. The only possible concern I had was a low release.  It's so quick it was hard for me to tell if it was really low or not.  It seemed that way to me just eyeballing that and that may lead to more difficulty at the next level, but otherwise, I saw nothing to pick at with his game.  He can flat out fill it up and he's probably a player we would hate seeing at Purdue for 3-4 years.

I'm actually glad we haven't offered him yet. While I think he is certainly good enough to deserve an offer, he's not as good as TJD, Brooks, Watford, and the guards we're after at this time. If Archie feels like we're not getting good indicators from them, then extend the offer. Don't want to have him commit and then miss out on a 5* because of it.

Extending offers too quickly (or to too many prospects) was a complaint many of us had against Crean. While Newman is certainly better than Gelon, Priller, etc., the principle is the same, if you offer a player and he commits, then you might not have room for a "better" player. With Crean, it played out that we had unused players at the end of the bench or transfers taking up scholarships that could have went to Top 150 guys, with Archie the stakes seem higher that you may get Top 150 guys taking scholarships from 5* guys if he doesn't play it right.

It would suck if Newman goes to Turdue, especially if he plays great against us, but with him only having offers from Creighton, Xavier, Ball State, Depaul, FSU, KSU, and Valpo currently (per 247), I don't see the point in extending him now.

1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

It seems the staff is looking to add a PG or Combo in the 19 class not an SG. Newman is a talented player and likely worthy of an offer but he doesn't appear to fit what the staff wants at this time. 

I'd be happy landing Newman but it's surprising to me that we talk more about Newman than we do Jahmius Ramsey (who I think behind TJD would be the biggest roster addition). 

I trust the coaching staff too.  Newman, to me, is very interesting because of the very consistent clip where he shoots 40% from three.  His numbers show consistency where he doesn't go for 60% from three for a tourney and then 19% the next tourney.  We always need shooters, and so that's a plus.  

I have never been a guy who wants a roster of nothing but 5* guys.  I think a healthy dose of 4 * guys who play 3-4 years is ideal.  You just have to put in the time developing them. No pain, no gain.  If you have the right class balance, you'd ideally have a team with good veteran leadership, some developing guys who will become future leaders, and then the precocious 5*'s.  In doing so, you'd also be trying to have balance between shooters, ball handlers, rebounders, defenders, etc.  That's the balance I'd hope for.  I'd drive my recruiting strategy off that vision.  To me, Newman as a shooter with other good qualities, and from a fertile recruiting area in the state where we have not historically been strong, has so many positives.  He reminds me of the type of kid who could hurt us if elsewhere.  I see tough players on other teams, and instead of just reflexively making excuses or hating on the kid, I'd like to think about what we could have done better or smarter and actually had him on our squad.

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I trust the coaching staff too.  Newman, to me, is very interesting because of the very consistent clip where he shoots 40% from three.  His numbers show consistency where he doesn't go for 60% from three for a tourney and then 19% the next tourney.  We always need shooters, and so that's a plus.  

I have never been a guy who wants a roster of nothing but 5* guys.  I think a healthy dose of 4 * guys who play 3-4 years is ideal.  You just have to put in the time developing them. No pain, no gain.  If you have the right class balance, you'd ideally have a team with good veteran leadership, some developing guys who will become future leaders, and then the precocious 5*'s.  In doing so, you'd also be trying to have balance between shooters, ball handlers, rebounders, defenders, etc.  That's the balance I'd hope for.  I'd drive my recruiting strategy off that vision.  To me, Newman as a shooter with other good qualities, and from a fertile recruiting area in the state where we have not historically been strong, has so many positives.  He reminds me of the type of kid who could hurt us if elsewhere.  I see tough players on other teams, and instead of just reflexively making excuses or hating on the kid, I'd like to think about what we could have done better or smarter and actually had him on our squad.

I am with you. Rather have him. Than not.  It's time that IU made some inroads into NWI.  I am sick and tired of the best coming out of NWI going to either PU or Michigan  or even Michigan State

Hey. Brandon may not be a Romeo. I grant you all that.  After all, how many Romeo's are out there, anyway ? However, in my mind, Brandon represents more than just a prospect for IU.

When Archie proclaimed he was closing the borders.... recruiting Indiana from the inside out..... I sure as heck hope that he included NWI.... unlike so many other IUBB head coaches before him.  Crean paid cursory visits to Gary to watch another Branden.... BJ Dawson. I followed that closely as that Branden was from my old high school.  In this case, I hope that Archie does more than Crean  did to bring this "Region Rat" Brandon..... home to Bloomington.  Gotta break the ice. No better time.... than NOW !

Spelled differently. But pronounced the same.  Bring this one home, Archie

Don't let this one slip away, like before.  Branden Dawson

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s a good well thought out post but I have to disagree with it. I’m not saying you’re wrong or that your style is worse than what Archie is trying to do but I want the best here. I’d rather have the Trayce, Keions, romeos over the Troy’s, rojos, and Curtis jones of the world. I like the elite 5 star approach because if you keep getting them then some will trickle down and stay 3 years like the Theo Pinsons...the talent base is already higher from the 5 Stars so why settle and search out a lower talent base?

edit: it’s not like we’re fighting for the 100% one and dones either....the Zion’s, wisemans,  bagley, reddish etc. so it’s not the UK model

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Well said.  I trust the coaches here too.  I knew my take might generate disagreement and that is great.  I want to be clear here that I am not just saying we need to go after every in-state kid that pops up.  Like you, I think Newman is special.  His star is rising very fast, I love his length, I love his 3-point shot, I love that he rebounds as a SG, and I love that he can finish at the rim.  He is also earning a reputation as a defender.  

There are a couple other in-state 2019 guards that I know we are at least watching.  I am not as concerned about them, but I do think Newman could be the one that got away.

I've seen 4-5 of Newman's games...really surprised he hasn't been offered by Purdue and pretty surprised we haven't offered.  He's definitely a difference maker at the high school and his length, athleticism, and shooting should definitely translate to the college game.  Also- pretty likeable, coachable, and dependable kid, from what I've heard. Just seems like the type of guy who will end up starting and averaging 9-12ppg for two years for a tourney team and is not a distraction at all.  Those guys are pretty valuable  

I know Archie's going after more highly rated guards, and it seems he wants a guard that can also play point, so I guess he's gonna pass on him.  

Purdue's lack of an offer is absolutely perplexing to me.  I simply don't get it.  

On 5/23/2018 at 12:40 AM, BornHoosier said:

KBJ and TJD are the only two 2019 recruits that matter and it’s imperative CAM lands both!  You don’t let 5 star talent leave your state, nothing else matters.  These two are priority 1 & 2 with priority 3 being see priority 1 & 2!  Close the borders!

Understand what you are saying, but I do believe Armaan Franklin and Brandon Newman need to be considered, just in case IU is not able to get ALL the ones they’re after.  It’s clear TJD and Brooks are the top priority, but having a plan B is probably under control with Archie leading.  

5 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I've seen 4-5 of Newman's games...really surprised he hasn't been offered by Purdue and pretty surprised we haven't offered.  He's definitely a difference maker at the high school and his length, athleticism, and shooting should definitely translate to the college game.  Also- pretty likeable, coachable, and dependable kid, from what I've heard. Just seems like the type of guy who will end up starting and averaging 9-12ppg for two years for a tourney team and is not a distraction at all.  Those guys are pretty valuable  

I know Archie's going after more highly rated guards, and it seems he wants a guard that can also play point, so I guess he's gonna pass on him.  

Purdue's lack of an offer is absolutely perplexing to me.  I simply don't get it.  

Archie is already in Painter's head. Painter isn't offering kids that he should so if/when they choose IU... Painter/Purdue fans can say they never offered anyway. Painter is all jacked up in the brain already and it's only 13 months in. 

9 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

An IU offer now means something again...regardless of when it is.

TDH listed the following offers in his story above (great job by the way) :  Loyola of Chicago, Xavier, Kansas State, and Florida State.  Not too shabby.  And to that list,  Creighton.

Creighton 2019 Basketball Offers

Interesting that most of THOSE offers came AFTER Brandon unofficially visited IU on Jan. 14, 2018. 

11 hours ago, china423 said:

Purdue offered a couple days ago. 

Yeesh.  I hope this does not drive Archie away.  Got to find a way to break up the NWI and PU connection that has been going on for much too long.

But thanks for the "intel".  Now that Archie "knows where New Albany is"..... he needs to "know where Valpo is."   LOL

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Looking less likely that an IU offer will be coming Brandon's way. 

Well....Franklin grew up in South Bend so we can maybe call him a region recruit too? Franklin comes from big basketball family. Tough decisions for a staff to make that call.

Archived