Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

13 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Rabajohns confirmed on Twitter 4 min ago!

Yep.

Jeff Rabjohns on Twitter: "Indiana coach Archie Miller offered a scholarship to 2019 Valparaiso guard Brandon Newman (@ballislife_219) on his unofficial visit today. #iubb Player profile, scouting view, recent updates: https://t.co/nNtKAAKF4O"

Now.  I am not going to talk about my sources who told me this weekend to expect an offer today.  Rather, how about CoachSS and O708 saying the same thing.  And where was Rabby this weekend?  Our guys don't get paid for this.  Rabby does. 

Over and out. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RABBY.... gets paid to dig up  information.  And share it for a price.  Yet a guy, on the East Coast, Zagoria, has beaten him out of information about IU, time and time again... for free.  Both make a living out of this. One reports on what he is being told.  The other keeps his mouth shut. WIth obvious reason.   Especially, when he got burned badly with leading his Pay For View readers down the rabbit hole on the Garland path. 

That is precisely why I linked Kendrick.  Because he is NOT a reporter.  Answer me this.  Why does Rabby and Peagram put "stuff" behind a paywall, that is available to IU fans on other sites for free ?   Just does not make sense to me.

I want this kid for a few reasons. 

*He's a rising star shooting from long range at a good clip. I won't be surprised if his ranking skyrockets during his senior year.

*Inroads into NWI, where IU hasn't traditionally recruited all that well. Locking down the state has to include the NW corner where a ton of talent exists.

*I grew up the next town over and dated a few Valpo girls back in the day. Luckily I owe none of them alimony, but if we reconnect, we'll have something to talk about. 

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I want this kid for a few reasons. 

*He's a rising star shooting from long range at a good clip. I won't be surprised if his ranking skyrockets during his senior year.

*Inroads into NWI, where IU hasn't traditionally recruited all that well. Locking down the state has to include the NW corner where a ton of talent exists.

*I grew up the next town over and dated a few Valpo girls back in the day. Luckily I owe none of them alimony, but if we reconnect, we'll have something to talk about. 

So funny.  When I started this thread... with the exception of perhaps people like you... Brandon was a relative unknown.  His star has shot up since then.  And high major offers have followed ever since.  Was concerning to me, that even though he visited in January... it has taken till now to garner an offer from IU.  In the meantime, some in this thread have said he is the best in Indiana in his class.  And to me... that is saying something. And I am like you, after getting an offer from IU, I am sure his star is going to continue to rise.

And also like you, and as I have been saying all along in this thread... it is incumbent upon Archie to secure this commitment, in order to break into NWI.

As for your last comment... trying to figure out what town you grew up in, as I grew up in Gary.... and can only imagine what went on with those Valpo girls.   LOL

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That is precisely why I linked Kendrick.  Because he is NOT a reporter.  Answer me this.  Why does Rabby and Peagram put "stuff" behind a paywall, that is available to IU fans on other sites for free ?   Just does not make sense to me.

Because they have the clout to do so, and anonymous people on message boards do not. 

And credentialed media members are held to a higher standard than anonymous people on message boards, so they can’t report rumors like Billy Donovan is coming to IU and then be wrong and not face backlash. Figured that was common sense. 

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So funny.  When I started this thread... with the exception of perhaps people like you... Brandon was a relative unknown.  His star has shot up since then.  And high major offers have followed ever since.  Was concerning to me, that even though he visited in January... it has taken till now to garner an offer from IU.  In the meantime, some in this thread have said he is the best in Indiana in his class.  And to me... that is saying something. And I am like you, after getting an offer from IU, I am sure his star is going to continue to rise.

And also like you, and as I have been saying all along in this thread... it is incumbent upon Archie to secure this commitment, in order to break into NWI.

As for your last comment... trying to figure out what town you grew up in, as I grew up in Gary.... and can only imagine what went on with those Valpo girls.   LOL

Grew up in Chesterton - home of Matt Nover, who was a few years younger than me. I used to religiously read the local paper for "cager" box scores (My family subscribed to the Post-Tribune and a couple of other local papers back in the day). Not since the Harden brothers in the late 70s-early 80s has there been this much buzz around a prospect out of Valpo. Happy to see Archie making inroads to this part of the state.  *Side note: I spent many a day in Gary as my father worked for USS and would take the family into the plant to pick up his paycheck every other week. And I attended IUN for a bit. And cruised Broadway a few times. :)

17 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Grew up in Chesterton - home of Matt Nover, who was a few years younger than me. I used to religiously read the local paper for "cager" box scores (My family subscribed to the Post-Tribune and a couple of other local papers back in the day). Not since the Harden brothers in the late 70s-early 80s has there been this much buzz around a prospect out of Valpo. Happy to see Archie making inroads to this part of the state.  *Side note: I spent many a day in Gary as my father worked for USS and would take the family into the plant to pick up his paycheck every other week. And I attended IUN for a bit. And cruised Broadway a few times. :)

My Senior year in high school, I worked in the Gary Post Tribune building, just South of 8th Avenue, I believe it was, off of Broadway. Actually held three jobs in high school, that year.  The Gary Post Tribune was an evening paper at the time. But they started a morning paper.  I would get to work at midnight, and work till the run was finished. Sometimes an hour, though I would get paid for four hours. The run rarely was more than four hours. Except if the presses broke down.  I went to Lew Wallace.

Each summer as a student at IU, I worked in the Merchant Mill of the Gary Works of United States Steel. Money was great.   I also took classes at IUN as well.

A headsup.  I discovered a You Tube channel.  Steel City Storm.  Guy is a little ruff around the edges.  But he does tons of Videos of Gary.  Check it out.   ALways great to talk to a fellow NWI'ender

39 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Hummel and Martin didn’t get that kind of buzz? I find that hard to believe. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hummel and Martin didn’t get that kind of buzz? I find that hard to believe. 

They got the buzz.  I do follow the kids from NWI........ Because that is my thing.  Just like another Brandon.  Dawson in that case.  However, as much buzz as the two from Valpo got in their day.... I don't think either reached the level of Newman.  Just my personal observation.

Yet.... here we go again.  PU and IU in a battle for a recruit from Valpo.  How great is that ?

And as always.... great to hear from you, Boiler !

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

They got the buzz.  I do follow the kids from NWI........ Because that is my thing.  Just like another Brandon.  Dawson in that case.  However, as much buzz as the two from Valpo got in their day.... I don't think either reached the level of Newman.  Just my personal observation.

Yet.... here we go again.  PU and IU in a battle for a recruit from Valpo.  How great is that ?

And as always.... great to hear from you, Boiler !

You as well! If I recall, didn’t Martin have more buzz than Hummel in high school? I feel like Martin may have gotten jealous once it was clear that Hummel was the better college player. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You as well! If I recall, didn’t Martin have more buzz than Hummel in high school? I feel like Martin may have gotten jealous once it was clear that Hummel was the better college player. 

Yep.  As memory serves, Martin got more pub, than Hummel in high school.  Funny how things turn out.  But one can never measure what is in a player's heart.  Until he or she, lets it out. 

32 minutes ago, Max said:

Thank you all - this is tremendous content. I am elated. Let’s take back what’s ours boys!!!!!!

Could not agree with you more.  From New Albany to Valpo.... their are ours.  Keep 'em in state.

And thanks for being a great HSN member as well

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yep.  As memory serves, Martin got more pub, than Hummel in high school.  Funny how things turn out.  But one can never measure what is in a player's heart.  Until he or she, lets it out. 

They honestly both got their pub.  Valpo's had a lot of good players, but it never had big kids who just oozed of DI potential.  And it was kind of weird to have two in the exact same class- so I'd argue they were more covered as a duo.  They even won co-player conference of the year and were right next to each other in Rivals100.  And yes  Boiler- while there's a lot of excitement for Newman, there was more for Martin and Hummel.  

Martin's game was definitely better in high school.  He was a better finisher and could really take over games.  Hummel was still good, but never seemed comfortable being the man and couldn't finish around the basket very well.  

However, one thing just about everyone said about comparing the two....Rob likes basketball more than Scott.  Not completely surprising he emerged as the better player in college.  

Martin got a lot of grief for transferring, but people basically liked him.  I completely understand Purdue fans' disappointment/anger for his departure, but I never thought it was just petty jealousy.  He was just discontent with the situation. (even though he probably had no reason to be).

And while both players had success in college, they could have been even better if injuries didn't hobble them so much.  

12 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Newman is the #1 player now on the Purdue board according to a text I got from a Purdue assistant. 

With Gillis in tow, he's as big as they get. 

Him ending up at Indiana would remind me of Painter's freakout last year when Damezi Anderson popped for IU. You should have heard his reaction(s) and some of these stories...

We will see what happens here. But, an interesting offer and one that Newman seems very excited about. 

How did he react? I haven't heard any of those stories. Was it similar to what went around when Hartman committed? 

11 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I'll save for another day. 

Thanks again for the information. I nominate tomorrow as candidate for another day. Haha. Knew Painter couldn't be happy but would love to know the depths. Thanks again for what you bring to the board.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks again for the information. I nominate tomorrow as candidate for another day. Haha. Knew Painter couldn't be happy but would love to know the depths. Thanks again for what you bring to the board.

I’d be curious to hear too. I know he was surprised when Anderson chose you guys but don’t think he was when Phinisee did. 

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

HoosierJax,

Thanks for what you had to say. I think Newman fills more of a need for Indiana. I think he brings even more competition to the SG spot in two years' time. Indiana will have Durham, Anderson and him (should he commit). That's healthy competition. Whoever wins the starting job/ gets more minutes will have definitely earned them. 

One of the good things for Indiana is that if they get Newman or Franklin (or both, though unlikely) neither will be counted on from day one to be a superstar. Indiana will have plenty of talent elsewhere that should take on the scoring load. 

So, I think Newman makes more sense. He is a SG. Franklin is a combo. Both are solid players. But, should Indiana whiff on Carton and Lewis then someone like Franklin might make a bit more sense as he is more of a ball-handler/ decision-maker than Newman is. 

Thanks

Archived