Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

They honestly both got their pub.  Valpo's had a lot of good players, but it never had big kids who just oozed of DI potential.  And it was kind of weird to have two in the exact same class- so I'd argue they were more covered as a duo.  They even won co-player conference of the year and were right next to each other in Rivals100.  And yes  Boiler- while there's a lot of excitement for Newman, there was more for Martin and Hummel.  

Martin's game was definitely better in high school.  He was a better finisher and could really take over games.  Hummel was still good, but never seemed comfortable being the man and couldn't finish around the basket very well.  

However, one thing just about everyone said about comparing the two....Rob likes basketball more than Scott.  Not completely surprising he emerged as the better player in college.  

Martin got a lot of grief for transferring, but people basically liked him.  I completely understand Purdue fans' disappointment/anger for his departure, but I never thought it was just petty jealousy.  He was just discontent with the situation. (even though he probably had no reason to be).

And while both players had success in college, they could have been even better if injuries didn't hobble them so much.  

Yep. Not saying that each did got their much deserved pub.  However, as memory serves me. It was Martin who got the majority of pub while in high school.  Hence, my reason for how funny things turn out.  End the end.... each from NWI.   And two guys while in high school, much like Newman today... I was hoping would end up in Candy Stripes, rather than Black and Gold.

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’d be curious to hear too. I know he was surprised when Anderson chose you guys but don’t think he was when Phinisee did. 

I think he was just talking about Anderson. Could be wrong but I don’t recall Purdue going after Phinisee all that hard. I have a feeling Purdue may regret that one. RP’s jump between junior and senior year reminds me of GRobIII. Obviously RP didn’t end up rated as high but I see the evolution of their games as similar. Frankly, the jury was still out with me between Hunter and RP when he committed but after the senior season he just had, I have no more worries. Still think Hunter will be a slightly better scorer and RP the better facilitator but we need a facilitator IMO.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

I think he was just talking about Anderson. Could be wrong but I don’t recall Purdue going after Phinisee all that hard. I have a feeling Purdue may regret that one. RP’s jump between junior and senior year reminds me of GRobIII. Obviously RP didn’t end up rated as high but I see the evolution of their games as similar. Frankly, the jury was still out with me between Hunter and RP when he committed but after the senior season he just had, I have no more worries. Still think Hunter will be a slightly better scorer and RP the better facilitator but we need a facilitator IMO.

Hunter is on a whole different level than Phinesee. 

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

Eric Hunter or Jerome Hunter?

54 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

24/7 doesn’t even show Newman with a Purdue offer. Yikes 

Yet. Somehow, I feel Newman will end up wearing Black and Gold, instead of Candy Stripes.  I guess, it's the history working in my mind... telling me so.... rather than my heart. 

16 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I think IUwins0708 and I are on different wavelengths here with the information we've been given. 

He loved his visit but I'm not sure IU is the team to beat or leads right now. 

However, that could change after July and how IU prioritizes him and when he sets up an official visit. 

Ok thanks CoachSS you guys really bring great info much appreciated 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve heard IU is the team to beat.  He loved his visit to say the least.

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

I think IUwins0708 and I are on different wavelengths here with the information we've been given. 

He loved his visit but I'm not sure IU is the team to beat or leads right now. 

However, that could change after July and how IU prioritizes him and when he sets up an official visit. 

Do either of you think we will get any summer commits or do you think all commits will be in the fall?

I know we all love rankings, but in this case Newman’s national ranking doesn’t tell the full story. He burst onto the scene over the past year and stock appears to be climbing. Plus he’s a deadeye shooter from deep. I’ll take an upward trend anyway over a guy in the 60s who’s dropping. Newman will be a strong 3-4 year guy who I’d love to roll with Arch. 

2 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

I know we all love rankings, but in this case Newman’s national ranking doesn’t tell the full story. He burst onto the scene over the past year and stock appears to be climbing. Plus he’s a deadeye shooter from deep. I’ll take an upward trend anyway over a guy in the 60s who’s dropping. Newman will be a strong 3-4 year guy who I’d love to roll with Arch. 

Kid just reminds me of Trevon Bleuitt. Would have loved him in Candy Stripes

42 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Do either of you think we will get any summer commits or do you think all commits will be in the fall?

I’d temper my summer expectations. More than likely fall signing period, before the season starts... if not later.

edit: this is a pretty broad statement for most of our recruiting targets. We should probably get used to waiting for the big fish.

Archived