Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You know I respect you, highly.  And I guess I took your post incorrectly.  Thinking you were saying that a silent verbal must have been secured.  My bad.

I just think Brandon was getting recruited by BB academies.  And simply went to IU for advice.  One thing.  Shows he respects the staff.  And again, his parents have ok'd the move.  I'm disappointed that I won't be able to follow him in Indiana.  No doubt.

Yes I was hoping we would have 3 more on indiana all stars next year who knows we still might

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You know I respect you, highly.  And I guess I took your post incorrectly.  Thinking you were saying that a silent verbal must have been secured.  My bad.

I just think Brandon was getting recruited by BB academies.  And simply went to IU for advice.  One thing.  Shows he respects the staff.  And again, his parents have ok'd the move.  I'm disappointed that I won't be able to follow him in Indiana.  No doubt.

I don't mind the academy thing. Not a fan but I gave up on what used to be (liked your phrase earlier) years and years ago. Don't find fault at all with a kid exploring all options possible to make him better, more prepared when takes the next big step which will be college. If that's in Florida. So be it. Hopefully it will be a 10 month stay and he'll back in the Hoosier state next year!

33 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

It was his trainer. 

Very well may be the case. However the word to me it was Bruiser Flint, because of Bruiser's connections at the Florida Academy.

Maybe it was both.  All I know it was one. 

And all that happened was since Brandon was getting recruited by them, he wanted to know about them.  On a fact finding mission.  In the end the decision was his and his parent's alone.  No steering by the staff.  Just giving information when asked. 

If it’s in the kids mind that he wants to go and his parents back him then you just have to support that. What do you expect the staff to do? Try to change his course of action to stay at a school he doesn’t want to be at or support him and help him make the best choice? Of course you use your connections and help the kid out. 

10 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

If it’s in the kids mind that he wants to go and his parents back him then you just have to support that. What do you expect the staff to do? Try to change his course of action to stay at a school he doesn’t want to be at or support him and help him make the best choice? Of course you use your connections and help the kid out. 

Yes Sir.  As I have said.... if his parents are ok with it.... then who are we to question his decision.

As it turns out.... Bruiser was not the only one Brandon sought out to get advice.  Even he and his H.S coach talked about it. "He was exploring his options." If anyone had a vested interest in directing Brandon to stay in state.... it would have been his H.S. coach, IMHO.

Valparaiso (Ind.) coach disappointed but supportive of Brandon Newman’s decision to transfer to Montverde Academy | USA TODAY High School Sports

7 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

My worry is Carton goes to Michigan and Newman likes Florida life and gets used to being away from home!

Funny thing. I was thinking in terms of Newman, and considering his age. That he would grow homesick and want to come back home to Indiana.  Just thinking about my days as a student at IU.  Not really homesick, but it was always great to make it home for a weekend. 

Not a fan of the predatorial nature prep schools represent. However, hard to knock a HS player who desires better competition and locked in on best being prepared for the college game. Is it that different for advances scholarly teenagers seeking out private or border schools to be prepared for college course load?? Also, hard to be more impressed with this HS coach—he came across as genuine and sincere about about wanting the best for Brandon newman. Bravo, coach!

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Saw an interesting name on that list.........Chris  Benedict.

Another interesting H.S. coach.  Not from Valpo. But from LaLu, via Michigan City.  Played for Knight. Before transferring to Providence.  An assistant to Pitino at one time. And spent 5 years coaching LaLu.

Delray Brooks 

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Call me biased , but he won't fond any better competition than right here in our state!

Hence, why do all the blue blood programs want to raid our state of HS recruits??

As pure HS teams, yes you're correct. Our HS trump the other states... but these aren't HS teams... Findlay, Huntington, Oak Hill, Montverde, La Lu, etc. Would win our 4A state by 20-25+ most years. 

Romeo JR year La Lu they had Jaren Jackson and Bowen and a host of other college commits. 

As a valpo native, really disappointed by this news. 

Couple random thoughts.  

- Valpo is a good program and the Duneland is a good conference, but obviously, the talent level is nothing compared to some of the basketball factories.  

-  I know the prep schools were going after Newman for months.  This did not happen because of his visit to IU.

-  Newman's transfer doesn't take us out of his recruitment, but I don't think it helps.  Could a school like Florida St, Florida, or Miami get involved in his recruitment and sell him on the climate?   Could a Villanova or Syracuse spot Newman at a game (since he'll now be playing in games with many bigtime players) and get involved?  I wouldn't rule it out. 

-  My understanding on Newman is that people like him, but he's got people in his ear basically telling him that in order to reach his potential, he has to leave and go to a prep school.  

-  I'm obviously biased, but the idea that one year at a prep school, especially for only one year, will make that much of a difference is pretty overrated.  The players are all on campus in early July.  Would a kid at a prep school have an advantage when they step on campus?  probably -  Would that advantage be mitigated after several months in the same college program?  almost certainly

- Rob Hummel, who graduated from Valpo, was pretty well-prepared as a freshman at Purdue...wasn't he?

-  I doubt IU is telling kids to go to prep schools,  (Most of our recruits haven't left)  and I don't think locking up the state means telling kids to ditch their high school programs.  Still, there's rumors right now regarding Newman and his situation and it's worth pointing out that Race left his high school team.  I hope Indiana high school basketball coaches don't see an IU recruiting visit as being a sign that your team will now be dismantled.  

57 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Couple random thoughts.  

- Valpo is a good program and the Duneland is a good conference, but obviously, the talent level is nothing compared to some of the basketball factories.  

-  I know the prep schools were going after Newman for months.  This did not happen because of his visit to IU.

-  Newman's transfer doesn't take us out of his recruitment, but I don't think it helps.  Could a school like Florida St, Florida, or Miami get involved in his recruitment and sell him on the climate?   Could a Villanova or Syracuse spot Newman at a game (since he'll now be playing in games with many bigtime players) and get involved?  I wouldn't rule it out. 

-  My understanding on Newman is that people like him, but he's got people in his ear basically telling him that in order to reach his potential, he has to leave and go to a prep school.  

-  I'm obviously biased, but the idea that one year at a prep school, especially for only one year, will make that much of a difference is pretty overrated.  The players are all on campus in early July.  Would a kid at a prep school have an advantage when they step on campus?  probably -  Would that advantage be mitigated after several months in the same college program?  almost certainly

- Rob Hummel, who graduated from Valpo, was pretty well-prepared as a freshman at Purdue...wasn't he?

-  I doubt IU is telling kids to go to prep schools,  (Most of our recruits haven't left)  and I don't think locking up the state means telling kids to ditch their high school programs.  Still, there's rumors right now regarding Newman and his situation and it's worth pointing out that Race left his high school team.  I hope Indiana high school basketball coaches don't see an IU recruiting visit as being a sign that your team will now be dismantled.  

Thanks for posting this. Quick question. 4th point about people in his ear. Are they telling him that because he needs the challenge of better players as motivation? If the competition has to be better for a player to be motivated I'm not sure what I think about that.

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Couple random thoughts.  

Race left his high school team... to come to IU. Same as every other recruit on the roster. If high school coaches get upset about that then God help us. 

Archived