Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

If a HS coach was to start losing his best players to prep schools too often I’m pretty sure his job would be in jeopardy. It might happen here and there...especially to families that travel and move around a lot like kids that didn’t grow up there...but the ground swell for his removal would be quick and powerful if anything resembling a trend appeared. A coach that can’t keep his own best players and families think he isn’t improving his kids etc won’t last long at a big school or basketball rich community. In Indiana that could be a career killer.

You make a great point and I agree with you but the fact of the matter is I don't see it as a trend and it doesn't happen all that often in Indiana because the high school basketball here is the best in the country but for a guy like Newman who is kind of on the fringe of blowing up I can see why he made the decision. Plus as a high school coach there are some things you can't match thst a prep school offers no matter how good of a coach you are. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As a teammate you owe them everything. That's how a team works. 

You play 8-9 aau tournaments a year.. along with camps and showcases. To think you need prep school is silly. Especially not in the state of indiana with our HS. 

Again... I would never bail on my teammates that are counting on me. 

Of course you don't bail mid-season and you always give it your all while on the court and in practice. I can prove that you'd bail in an instant. Would you sign a deal for 1m to stay with your teammates when a title is unlikely or would you bail and take 5m to play for a contender in a better city? That scenario is extreme but the point remains. He thinks his long term value and growth is better at an academy so he's leaving. 

18 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Of course you don't bail mid-season and you always give it your all while on the court and in practice. I can prove that you'd bail in an instant. Would you sign a deal for 1m to stay with your teammates when a title is unlikely or would you bail and take 5m to play for a contender in a better city? That scenario is extreme but the point remains. He thinks his long term value and growth is better at an academy so he's leaving. 

I disagree with this. I'm sure Romeo didn't go for this, even though I'm sure he could have gone the prep school route. But he knew they had something special going on at New Albany and wanted to be a part of it.

And if, as you say, you're that good, the money part will take care of itself.

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I disagree with this. I'm sure Romeo didn't go for this, even though I'm sure he could have gone the prep school route. But he knew they had something special going on at New Albany and wanted to be a part of it.

And if, as you say, you're that good, the money part will take care of itself.

I'm not saying it's 100 or 0, stay or bail. Romeo is a unique case so anytime Romeo gets brought up then I don't think that's really fair. He could have gone anywhere and he was chasing Damon and another title. Brandon Newman isn't afforded that luxury. By 'special' I'm referring to any recruit in the top 1-150 range. I think it's fair to say the further down you are the lower your probability of making it, on average, so the lower your ranking the more exposure and help you can get the better. Smaller edges need to be pushed and that's exactly how I see this situation. It's a tough call but it might be the correct one for them.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

There is a reason I quit playing baseball.

Because you pitched too much when you were a kid and your arm started to hurt sitting in class when you were 13???? Lol..  oh wait that's me. 

But I am confused what you're saying..  but ok.  If it's a toxic situation at Valpo, I understand leaving. 

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...not sure how I feel about this. One part says do you not feel loyalty to your community and friends you grew up with? You only get one chance to enjoy high school...innocence and friendships...or what it would mean to win a state championship. The other part of me says if my kid had a chance to achieve his dreams and play in the NBA I would do everything possible to help him achieve it. Not sure if a prep school gives him a better shot but who knows. 

My other feeling is what is the coach at Valpo doing if he is running a premier program if he isn’t leaning on his athletic director to schedule out of state. Get his team in some premier tournaments across the nation. You have one of the best kids in the state you should highlight that and travel. Add several of those types of games to the regular schedule and you get kids and a community excited. Be hard for a kid to complain about competition and also to walk out on his team when they have games scheduled say a trip to Florida or to NY. Anyways maybe they did I didn’t have time to check the link. Hope this works out for the kid...sorry the state will miss out on what would surely have been a special senior season.

It is a ISHAA rule that Indiana schools can't play over 300 miles away from Indiana so you can't schedule teams from Florida or New York.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is a ISHAA rule that Indiana schools can't play over 300 miles away from Indiana so you can't schedule teams from Florida or New York.

Not sure the benefit of this rule. Especially on occasion or if the kids would not be missing any classes. Other states allow it...part of education is taking kids...some that maybe have never been out of the state an opportunity to travel or also say visit DC or say some other educational place. Sports is every bit as important to children’s development as the class room. If schools can take trips to the White House or bands can play in Macy’s parade why can’t a ball team play in a hoops classic? Think it’s a bad rule...or at least should be relaxed. Thanks for the info though!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sports is every bit as important to children’s development as the class room.

Agreed with the rest of your statement, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with this part.  For 99.99% of kids in school, it's just not and it's not even close.

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agreed with the rest of your statement, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with this part.  For 99.99% of kids in school, it's just not and it's not even close.

I mean the values and lessons learned playing team sports are life lessons that can’t easily be replicated in a class room. Team work, the work ethic needed to succeed, commitment and working to a goal, facing adversity, learning to lose or get knocked down and get back up, communication I could go on and on. When I hire for my organization elite athletes often make it to the top of my interview lists and have been many of my best hires. The dedication, leadership, and competitiveness often work well in my organization. A lot of things they bring to the table that they didn’t get in the traditional educational environment. Similar to many veterans. I don’t think it’s a coincidence. Thus I think whether it’s soccer or basketball or whatever it should be an important part to a schools focus..and promoting a cross of education (museums or cultural) and sports into these trips are a win win to me.

kinda like what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan. I may not be a fan of him or his team but when he expands these young men’s experiences to Rome or Africa or visiting a WW2 memorial or MLK memorial/museum or whatever that is a true student athlete experience and I think it’s good for HS kids too.

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This thread got me thinking. Disappointment from head coach,etc...can have an impact on future recruiting.

Does anyone know or have any stories where a head coach let's say despised Knight or Davis/Sampson/Crean and the kid/recruit still wanted to go to IU just because it's IU? Can move to another thread or post in off topic. Just made me curious. I know the high school coaches play an integral part. Would love to hear stories where a coach said no way and the player said yes way to IU.

I would not say in terms of Knight there was a level of hate that caused kids to go elsewhere.  However, near the end of his time at IU..... there was plenty of discussion that his "Old School" tactics were causing kids to look at other schools.  Funny, in that "Knight's Ways" brought kids to IU early in his career, yet drove them away years later. 

Don't think there was any level of hate towards Sampson.  Kids especially one's with questionable character were attracted to him, due to his willingness to look the other way, when he should have cracked down on them.

No hate on Crean, either.  Just questions about him in terms of being quirky, and rubbing Indiana H.S. coaches the wrong way.

Can't answer in regards to Davis.

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

As a teammate you owe them everything. That's how a team works. 

You play 8-9 aau tournaments a year.. along with camps and showcases. To think you need prep school is silly. Especially not in the state of indiana with our HS

Again... I would never bail on my teammates that are counting on me. 

I'm late to the conversation, but adding to this....
I worked with a guy for about 10-15 years that went to Marion High school.  He was not good enough to get a bench spot on the reserve team, sure, he was good, just not good enough.  Being this is Indiana.....     We also had a supervisor who attended a basketball school in California who averaged 25 ppg that was 8 years younger than Mr. Marion graduate.  California was in his mid 30s at the time he played a pickup game of 2 on 2 against the scrub Indiana guy.  The teammates in this pickup game were pretty evenly unskilled.  You know what happened.  The guy from Indiana absolutely destroyed.  He had no scholarship offers as he did not make the team in H.S. where as the Cali guy had offers, not necessarily high D-1 or anything, but he had offers and opportunities.  The event only confirmed my opinion of Indiana HS basketball.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I learned more life lessons in sports than I did in the classroom.
I learned people skills and more in sports.

I know which one has furthered my career ( I do not work in customer service or remotely close ).  I fall in the 0.01%?
Either way, without the development in the classroom, I do not get the opportunity to show 'people skills'.

9 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I know which one has furthered my career ( I do not work in customer service or remotely close ).  I fall in the 0.01%?
Either way, without the development in the classroom, I do not get the opportunity to show 'people skills'.

At various times during my school days, I played basketball, baseball and did some wrestling. I wasn't an elite athlete by a long stretch but I enjoyed my participation and have some fond memories.  While I have all of that, I would attribute virtually none of my professional success to participation in athletics, even though I would agree that undoubtably some life lessons were learned. My point was that at each level, an increasingly smaller percentage of students participate in athletics and an even smaller percentage experience significant success.  Even at the lowest elementary levels, the majority of students don't participate in organized sports.  Some life skills are learned in the classroom interacting with the teachers, administrators and other students.  Early jobs probably result in more life skills than any other source, but drama clubs, dance teams, show choirs, marching bands, ROTC programs and debate clubs contribute as well.  Military service is huge and I can tell you that in the companies I've worked in during my career, former military seemed to do very well and were often given an extra look simply because of their service.

Certainly, some student athletes like you feel they learn more valuable life skills through athletics than any other source and it wouldn't surprise me that there are a number of people in this forum that feel the way you do, but forum members here represent just a miniscule subset of the general population and are naturally skewed toward those of us who participated in organized athletics during our educational career.  Admittedly, my 0.01% figure was simply a guesstimate, but sports being every bit as important to development as the classroom would apply to a tiny fraction of the overall student population.  Is it 0.01% or even as high as 1%?  I can't say.  My point was that if we are determining how to allocate educational resources for the greatest good, for most kids, the classroom is a lot more important and that includes a lot of kids who actually participate in sports.  Just looking back at my high school class, athletic participation appears to have had very little influence on professional success.  For me personally, I would attribute many of my valuable life lessons working for my father and I don't think that was an accident.  He gave me some god-awful jobs to do in the summers that made me determined to succeed academically and professionally and I don't think that was by accident even though to this day, he swears it was.

I won't dismiss the value of experiences from participating in organized sports.  I just disagreed with the sweeping statement that was made about sports being every bit as important as the classroom.  I'd say that is true for a only a tiny percentage of the population.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure the benefit of this rule. Especially on occasion or if the kids would not be missing any classes. Other states allow it...part of education is taking kids...some that maybe have never been out of the state an opportunity to travel or also say visit DC or say some other educational place. Sports is every bit as important to children’s development as the class room. If schools can take trips to the White House or bands can play in Macy’s parade why can’t a ball team play in a hoops classic? Think it’s a bad rule...or at least should be relaxed. Thanks for the info though!

Because sports is an extercircular activity and not the most important thing for a high school to worry about.  Also the cost to travel across country is way to expensive for most school corporations

11 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Are you saying you can't learn those life lessons playing teams in your own state and have to travel long distances to get those lessons.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Because sports is an extercircular activity and not the most important thing for a high school to worry about.  Also the cost to travel across country is way to expensive for most school corporations

I don't want to derail the thread further so I won't continue with this but I think we are looking at this from two very different view points. I completely agree with your accessment...the primary focus of the school is education...100% especially because we fail to provide that adequately as it is. That said providing sports and extra curricular activities I believe are very important in giving a "complete" education of our children. Cost is most definitely a factor...but many many schools face the same budget restraints and the community and parents and boosters fund raise to accomplish sending children on these trips on occasion. Affording these children opportunities outside of the 4 walls of the institution where they can interact and learn and also experience cultural/educational opportunities should be encouraged imo....and where the money isn't there the boosters/parents/organizers should be willing to step up. I think we are mostly in agreement...but just place different value/benefits on what sports and these activities can mean to a child's future...obviously we have to fund the basics first but I don't want to undervalue the skills I learned outside the classroom that came from organized sports/activities....they were priceless.

Back to Mr. Newman...where the focus should be! Hopefully this doesn't hamper our ability to attain this talented kid.

Why do we always jump into the psyche of these players/coaches?  We are fans...

Good luck to Brandon, he's obviously something special judging by his rise.  I have a feeling the southern teams nab him now.

EDIT - Also would like to see what happens if Carton commits.  I don't foresee 4 players in this class.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

SIAP.  Story from July 7.

NOW, this comment has me concerned.  "It was the one I really wanted (the PU offer).  I had been waiting for it.  "

Purdue target Brandon Newman going extra mile for improvement

...and that is the comment that the Purdue fan forums are pointing to as putting Brandon in the bag.  I'd point out a couple of things there...(1) the Purdue offer was well before the IU offer and his coach referred to the IU offer as his first blue blood offer and (2) There are three CB predictions out there...all for IU.

Who knows...it's all guesswork but at least entertaining to speculate until the decision.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

SIAP.  Story from July 7.

NOW, this comment has me concerned.  "It was the one I really wanted (the PU offer).  I had been waiting for it.  "

Purdue target Brandon Newman going extra mile for improvement

Since that offer was in April and he didn't commit, has moved up the rankings, and now going to prep school, I'm not concerned. I read it as he looked at it as an accomplishment to receive an offer from them (saying they are selective and offer people who meet their criteria) and was waiting for it because he saw their increasing presence watching him. 

That being said, overall it isn't a positive statement for anyone but them obviously. 

It will make it that much sweeter once he comes to IU!

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Since that offer was in April and he didn't commit, has moved up the rankings, and now going to prep school, I'm not concerned. I read it as he looked at it as an accomplishment to receive an offer from them (saying they are selective and offer people who meet their criteria) and was waiting for it because he saw their increasing presence watching him. 

That being said, overall it isn't a positive statement for anyone but them obviously. 

It will make it that much sweeter once he comes to IU!

Thanks to both you and  FK for helping to ease my mind.

Archived