Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What DJ said.  No one cares about raw win totals.  Would be interesting to see the numbers of wins over ranked teams in that time period though.  I would be willing to bet IU has the most, but maybe not.

We have 5 national titles.  None of the other programs have one.  Nuff said.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What DJ said.  No one cares about raw win totals.  Would be interesting to see the numbers of wins over ranked teams in that time period though.  I would be willing to bet IU has the most, but maybe not.

Probably has the most opportunities as well. ND might have us in ranked wins. 

I would consider us 2nd in that time period. 

All I said was you could argue the other two have been better.. which is for sure arguable. 

Looking at things on a national stage the other 3 schools are ones in which many people have no idea that they are even located in the state of Indiana. I know we have had this debate but it is true. Even with the success of Notre Dame football and Butler going back to back championship games many people across the country could not tell you where those schools are located. I know that does not equal best or most successful but leave no doubt 90% of people in the US could tell you what state Indiana University is located in. The other 10% reside in Kentucky so what do you expect.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Looks like Newman will be a spring decision based on him going the prep route...I'd hate to wait that long for a decision but honestly I think he is worth it.

If the kid wants to wait until Spring...good for him. Know this. Archie isn't waiting. And in 2 years when flipping the channels watching on whatever campus he chooses and sees top 5 ranked IU playing top 5 ranked Duke on ESPN with the Hall going nuts....he can sit there and ask himself why he didn't say yes to IU when he had the opportunity. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If the kid wants to wait until Spring...good for him. Know this. Archie isn't waiting. And in 2 years when flipping the channels watching on whatever campus he chooses and sees top 5 ranked IU playing top 5 ranked Duke on ESPN with the Hall going nuts....he can sit there and ask himself why he didn't say yes to IU when he had the opportunity. 

Maybe....hopefully your scenario plays out but hopefully he ends up with us. Outside of TJD I think Newman is my most coveted target right now. Don't get me wrong he might not be the highest ranked but I think he would fill the biggest need on this team. Kid can straight up shoot the ball from distance and with Romeo likely gone next year...we have a lot of good players but I wouldn't say we have deadly shooting from distance. He would fit a bigger need than say Keion who while more talented duplicates what we may already have in Hunter, Anderson and somewhat Smith. I'm a big fan of shooting. We saw what a team full of shooters in Villanova did to the competition. Hard nosed defense...some athleticism...and just a team that shares the ball and buries you from distance. I love our athletes but we still need some good ol Indiana shooters on this team...and Newman I think could fill that void.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe....hopefully your scenario plays out but hopefully he ends up with us. Outside of TJD I think Newman is my most coveted target right now. Don't get me wrong he might not be the highest ranked but I think he would fill the biggest need on this team. Kid can straight up shoot the ball from distance and with Romeo likely gone next year...we have a lot of good players but I wouldn't say we have deadly shooting from distance. He would fit a bigger need than say Keion who while more talented duplicates what we may already have in Hunter, Anderson and somewhat Smith. I'm a big fan of shooting. We saw what a team full of shooters in Villanova did to the competition. Hard nosed defense...some athleticism...and just a team that shares the ball and buries you from distance. I love our athletes but we still need some good ol Indiana shooters on this team...and Newman I think could fill that void.

I feel mostly the same way about wanting him, but I'm completely on board with not waiting until spring if a good player wants his scholarship.  I hate waiting until the last minute to full a college roster and I understand very much why college coaches would feel the same way.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

The sentiments of FK are mine as well. I want him and other really good shooters....but I'm not waiting until Spring. Waiting that long for Romeo is one thing. All due respect to this kid is another. And to reiterate....that's fine for him. He can do what he wants but delays have consequences. One of them is not having a chair when the music stops.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I feel mostly the same way about wanting him, but I'm completely on board with not waiting until spring if a good player wants his scholarship.  I hate waiting until the last minute to full a college roster and I understand very much why college coaches would feel the same way.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The sentiments of FK are mine as well. I want him and other really good shooters....but I'm not waiting until Spring. Waiting that long for Romeo is one thing. All due respect to this kid is another. And to reiterate....that's fine for him. He can do what he wants but delays have consequences. One of them is not having a chair when the music stops.

Excellent points...and I agree. I really want this kid and maybe that leads me to be willing to wait. I probably see this kid differently than most. Something about him just tells me he can be a special player...and honestly..I'm fine if we end up with an open scholarship. (Archie can't play everyone now as it is) We can do a grad transfer again or we use it in a future year. If we land TJD and Brooks....I would love to have a full roster but I think we can get away without another guard if we missed on Newman for a year. It would just make 20's class extra important to land a couple and probably give a kid an opportunity to play very early which a lot of elite players like.

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I’ll be a little concerned if we sign more than one recruit before the spring.

4 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Go to your happy place.  I’d bet on the entire class being locked up before Santi Claus touches down.

I think we have two signed....I see no reason to not wait til the spring to sign more...what if Romeo wants to stay an extra year? Maybe he gets hurt. No reason to force someone out the door....we may be on the verge of a championship team and he may want to come back. Peyton Manning came back and so did Andrew Luck and they had a lot higher risks. We can wait til the spring to sign a 3rd and if someone else goes pro then we have a scholarship available for a grad transfer or another player...maybe even someone that reclassifies.

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we have two signed....I see no reason to not wait til the spring to sign more...what if Romeo wants to stay an extra year? Maybe he gets hurt. No reason to force someone out the door....we may be on the verge of a championship team and he may want to come back. Peyton Manning came back and so did Andrew Luck and they had a lot higher risks. We can wait til the spring to sign a 3rd and if someone else goes pro then we have a scholarship available for a grad transfer or another player...maybe even someone that reclassifies.

Time will tell.  I think survival of the fittest kicks in on scenarios you bring up with low likelihood of occurrence.  Archie might have a talk with the low man.  One thing I’m sure of... Coach is not a “what if” guy.  He dictates the moves.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If full...and Romeo says I want to stay another...you politely show the door to someone. Archie has 2 maybe 3 years until his roster is his. No problem from this fan if he has to send someone packing. Sorry! Just me. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If full...and Romeo says I want to stay another...you politely show the door to someone. Archie has 2 maybe 3 years until his roster is his. No problem from this fan if he has to send someone packing. Sorry! Just me. 

Well even this year he’s only got what 3 scholarship athletes he didn’t recruit. Or rerecruit after screams firing.  

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well even this year he’s only got what 3 scholarship athletes he didn’t recruit. Or rerecruit after screams firing.  

This is his roster starting now.  Seeking6 sounds like those Mike Davis supporters saying we couldn't start to evaluate him until Sean Kline and Donald Perry had graduated which would've been like year 5 because they weren't his recruits and the roster wasn't his yet.

52 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

This is his roster starting now.  Seeking6 sounds like those Mike Davis supporters saying we couldn't start to evaluate him until Sean Kline and Donald Perry had graduated which would've been like year 5 because they weren't his recruits and the roster wasn't his yet.

I agree this is his roster. Al, Clif, Justin, Romeo, Anderson, Phinesee, Hunter, Forrester, Race, Fitz are all his. Only really Morgan, Green, and Davis are not his I don’t know what people are saying this isn’t his team. If he didn’t want someone on the team he didn’t have to rerecruit them or could encouraged them to move on when he got here or this past offseason. 

Archived