Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I doubt it. There is no reason for 3 guards to go to pu.

Yeah...I don't get why we're writing Newman off based on scheduling a visit.  I'd love to have Newman.  My concern is that if he waits until spring, I'm not sure there will be a scholarship available.  If he commits in the fall, I'd sure take him.

Purdue probably has a geographic advantage over IU here, but considering the kind of team Miller is assembling, I'd think that would be really attractive to a solid Indiana player.  Why on earth are we acting like he's going to commit on his first visit?

5 hours ago, BDB said:

Did you expect anything different from this board?

I was just puzzled and thought I missed something.  I actually went back and read the comments leading up to the announcement and couldn't figure out why people were so confident he was picking Purdue.  Everything I'd read earlier made me feel that despite the geographical advantage, IU had a real chance with Newman if he stays close to home.  I honestly had more concern that a southern school would swoop in and lure him with the promises of warmer winters and more sunshine.  I haven't seen Purdue as a foregone conclusion at all even though it's well known Painter has really put the press on for Newman.  That being said, A Purdue commit won't be a shock given their proximity and recruiting efforts.  I just don't think it's a done deal by any stretch.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ll be a little concerned if we sign more than one recruit before the spring.

You hold spots until the spring for Romeo's, you don't hold spots for Newman's. If 3 kids you offer say yes you take them whenever that is.

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...I don't get why we're writing Newman off based on scheduling a visit.  I'd love to have Newman.  My concern is that if he waits until spring, I'm not sure there will be a scholarship available.  If he commits in the fall, I'd sure take him.

Purdue probably has a geographic advantage over IU here, but considering the kind of team Miller is assembling, I'd think that would be really attractive to a solid Indiana player.  Why on earth are we acting like he's going to commit on his first visit?

Agreed. Probably just wants to visit with his friends.

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

dmb is referring to a statement from Brandon, himself.  He did in fact say, he was waiting on an offer from IU. It's on line.  And we have published it on HSN. I am thinking it was a red herring on his part, and....  still..... I am not confident in rounding up this "region rat" for the Cream and Crimson. I have gotten to the point that I would be highly surprised seeing Newman in Candy Stripes.  You can take a region rat out of the region.... but it is hard to take the Black and Gold out of many region rats.  Hurts me to say that... but it is true.  And, again... I don't know why.

Why don't they go to Notre Dame?

16 hours ago, rico said:

Why don't they go to Notre Dame?

I don't mean this to sound like all but I'm sure getting accepted to Notre Dame is more difficult. Personally I would think playing at Notre Dame and getting a degree there would be more prestigious...and you get to play in the ACC against Duke and UNC etc. Someone will probably help me out but I'd imagine the grades and scores to get in and sustain there would be more difficult.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't mean this to sound like all but I'm sure getting accepted to Notre Dame is more difficult. Personally I would think playing at Notre Dame and getting a degree there would be more prestigious...and you get to play in the ACC against Duke and UNC etc. Someone will probably help me out but I'd imagine the grades and scores to get in and sustain there would be more difficult.

I get the prestige part of it but ain't too sure about the grades.  ND has had a couple of transfers during the Brey era, and one of them was Scott Martin who left the Boilers for South Bend.  

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Let's be real here...they wouldn't have a powerhouse football team if athletes had to meet the same academic standards as non-athlete students. Same with Duke and basketball.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Let's be real here...they wouldn't have a powerhouse football team if athletes had to meet the same academic standards as non-athlete students. Same with Duke and basketball.

Agree.  I know Notre Dame's admissions standards are pretty high, but they have to be bending them a fair amount to get quality players..

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I knew it was very difficult for non-athletes...I'm sure they lower the bar for athletic scholarships but I still have to think its fairly high in comparison to most state schools. Any idea?

Notre Dame is not a state school, but regardless even state schools can set their own requirements and do not have to follow the NCAA's minimum for admission.  So ND can do whatever they want as far as lowering down admission criteria as long as it still meets the NCAA guidelines.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Notre Dame is not a state school, but regardless even state schools can set their own requirements and do not have to follow the NCAA's minimum for admission.  So ND can do whatever they want as far as lowering down admission criteria as long as it still meets the NCAA guidelines.

Yes. I was just saying I'm sure even their admission standards for their student athletes are still pretty high compared to most state schools. I know I've read numerous times where it's affected the football recruiting. Just because they can lower it doesn't mean they do lower (as much as others). So I can see where it might turn some players away for the basketball program because they wouldn't meet the requirements....still they have every bit as good a basketball reputation as Purdue. Maybe its the catholic thing or the make up of the student body that players shy away. They definitely play a nationally televised schedule for certain so it's hard to say.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes. I was just saying I'm sure even their admission standards for their student athletes are still pretty high compared to most state schools. I know I've read numerous times where it's affected the football recruiting. Just because they can lower it doesn't mean they do lower (as much as others). So I can see where it might turn some players away for the basketball program because they wouldn't meet the requirements....still they have every bit as good a basketball reputation as Purdue. Maybe its the catholic thing or the make up of the student body that players shy away. They definitely play a nationally televised schedule for certain so it's hard to say.

I completely understand what you are saying and always did.  

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This Jack Wang is ridiculous, I would be upset if I were a student going to commit and this guy releases the info and steals my thunder.  But then again, the kid shouldn't of leaked the info if he truly is doing what Mr. Jack Wang says in this tweet

If you look at that guys tweets you'll see a lot of these predictions. 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This Jack Wang is ridiculous, I would be upset if I were a student going to commit and this guy releases the info and steals my thunder.  But then again, the kid shouldn't of leaked the info if he truly is doing what Mr. Jack Wang says in this tweet

Awaiting Brandon's tweet shooting this down.

Archived