Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

I think both you guys have legitimate arguements. The difference I see is that Newman looks more like a 3-4 year player and by year 3 and 4 could be an elite shooter and scorer. Ramsey is a game wrecker...a guy that can get his own shot, shoots a respectable percentage from distance but is able to create for himself and his teammates. He likely would shoot a much higher percentage from 2 as his length and athleticism should allow him to get high percentage looks. The big difference I see is that Ramsey is a more physical player and one that fits perfectly into Archie’s defense. Playing next to Phinesee and Anderson and Hunter and hopefully Brooks and Al maybe Green we should have plenty of shooters...maybe no Blackmon but respectable shooting. That said I get chills putting him and TJD in pick and roll situations though. Ramsey I think would likely be a 2 year player perhaps. I love pure shooters so Newman would always have a place on my team...but I would not turn away a player the caliber of Ramsey....a two way player and no slouch shooter in his own respect. Ramsey has a certain Russell Westbrook to his game. In a perfect world we could have both...but this team is pretty deep (something we haven’t had in a while) so I doubt both would commit. I don’t think we could go wrong with either.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think both you guys have legitimate arguements. The difference I see is that Newman looks more like a 3-4 year player and by year 3 and 4 could be an elite shooter and scorer. Ramsey is a game wrecker...a guy that can get his own shot, shoots a respectable percentage from distance but is able to create for himself and his teammates. He likely would shoot a much higher percentage from 2 as his length and athleticism should allow him to get high percentage looks. The big difference I see is that Ramsey is a more physical player and one that fits perfectly into Archie’s defense. Playing next to Phinesee and Anderson and Hunter and hopefully Brooks and Al maybe Green we should have plenty of shooters...maybe no Blackmon but respectable shooting. That said I get chills putting him and TJD in pick and roll situations though. Ramsey I think would likely be a 2 year player perhaps. I love pure shooters so Newman would always have a place on my team...but I would not turn away a player the caliber of Ramsey....a two way player and no slouch shooter in his own respect. Ramsey has a certain Russell Westbrook to his game. In a perfect world we could have both...but this team is pretty deep (something we haven’t had in a while) so I doubt both would commit. I don’t think we could go wrong with either.

They are both fine player for sure. Newman does one thing especially well which is shoot. And right now it’s looking like Damezi will be our sharpshooter off the bench. 

If for some reason we had 4 openings I’d take both for certain. I could see Ramsey playing both guard positions and having Newman and Anderson off the bench would be perfect compliments to play alongside both Ramsey and Phinesee. I think we could easily have 4 openings as I think both Smith and Hunter have special qualities that could lead one or the other to go pro. We are so deep though and on so many top recruits I could also see someone leaving too. We have potential for a very crowded front court. I think we could continue to play small at the 4 but even so if both Brooks and TJD commits that is a lot of talented wings and guys like Moore and Forrester and Davis might feel odd man out.

21 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Doesn’t surprise me .. kind of bummed.  Staff must know something we don’t, otherwise I wouldn’t think they would risk not getting Newman on campus by trying hard to get Franklin.

Yea seems to me Archie liked Armaan equally at a minimum to Newman or else those visits would be flipped. 

If you asked me two days ago, I would have said Newman before Armaan by a hair. However, Armaans combo guard potential may actually be more of a need than Newmans pure SG potential if Damezi can stroke it already with one more year experience over a freshman Newman. I think I changed my mind to Armaan, but it's splitting hairs...both good players.

Welcome aboard Armaan!

54 minutes ago, Max said:

I feel kinda bad if IU was indeed his first choice, which it seems like it was. Tried to transfer, had to deal w family stuff and move back. Hope he’s successful anywhere he goes(except purdue).

He had his chance.  That's the potential price you pay for waiting.

4 hours ago, Max said:

I feel kinda bad if IU was indeed his first choice, which it seems like it was. Tried to transfer, had to deal w family stuff and move back. Hope he’s successful anywhere he goes(except purdue).

I wish the kid success no matter where he goes even Purdue.

9 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yea seems to me Archie liked Armaan equally at a minimum to Newman or else those visits would be flipped. 

If you asked me two days ago, I would have said Newman before Armaan by a hair. However, Armaans combo guard potential may actually be more of a need than Newmans pure SG potential if Damezi can stroke it already with one more year experience over a freshman Newman. I think I changed my mind to Armaan, but it's splitting hairs...both good players.

Welcome aboard Armaan!

I want the guy who wants to play for our beloved HOOSIERS

5 hours ago, Max said:

I feel bad for family situation but he had his chance and other recruits take note if you want to be a Hoosier act quickly if not good luck.

Archived