Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

"We'll take you if you commit before Franklin."

Yeah, that’s not the type of “conditional” offer people were speaking of. Most acknowledged that an acceptance of an offer changes everything moving forward. Most people were saying there’s no way CAM is offering Franklin and making conditions before his hypothetical spot is filled. Like, “we really like you, but we only want you if Newman goes elsewhere”. Or something along those lines. 

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Saying we only have so many spots and it’s first come first serve is not the type of “condition” you were referring to previously. You know that.

I hope you're joking.

There are several different kinds of conditional offers but can you seriously say with a straight face when there are three spots and 20 offers (no, I didn't verify the number but it's safe to say we have way more offers than we have open scholarships) that they are all first come first served?  I guarantee you there are offers given to kids who know that the offer is only good if some other kid does not commit.  Then there are offers (the ones you call first come first served) which are conditional on someone else not making a decision earlier.

...and of course, there are offers that are unconditional at least for a set period of time.  I expect there aren't many of these and they are given out very carefully to only the best recruits the staff thinks they have a good chance with.  Coaches can't hold a spot open forever hoping to get a certain recruit.

The point I am making is, there is no way the staff is making only unconditional offers.  Likewise, there is no way the staff is offering 20 recruits for 3-4 spots and those 20 offers are all first come first served.  Most offers come with some sort of condition.  Otherwise, if you throw out 20 offers for 3-4 spots, you can't say they are unconditional if you are unwilling to take the first 3-4 who say yes, and I don't believe any coach is foolish enough to do that.

Frankly, no offer is truly without conditions (either spoken/written or unspoken) until the LOI is signed.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I hope you're joking.

There are several different kinds of conditional offers but can you seriously say with a straight face when there are three spots and 20 offers (no, I didn't verify the number but it's safe to say we have way more offers than we have open scholarships) that they are all first come first served?  I guarantee you there are offers given to kids who know that the offer is only good if some other kid does not commit.  Then there are offers (the ones you call first come first served) which are conditional on someone else not making a decision earlier.

...and of course, there are offers that are unconditional at least for a set period of time.  I expect there aren't many of these and they are given out very carefully to only the best recruits the staff thinks they have a good chance with.  Coaches can't hold a spot open forever hoping to get a certain recruit.

The point I am making is, there is no way the staff is making only unconditional offers.  Likewise, there is no way the staff is offering 20 recruits for 3-4 spots and those 20 offers are all first come first served.  Most offers come with some sort of condition.  Otherwise, if you throw out 20 offers for 3-4 spots, you can't say they are unconditional if you are unwilling to take the first 3-4 who say yes, and I don't believe any coach is foolish enough to do that.

Frankly, no offer is truly without conditions (either spoken/written or unspoken) until the LOI is signed.

I’m saying it’s an art, and that no we don’t tell kids we want them only if somebody else says no, or some other similar condition. I think the way CAM goes about his offers is due to how other offers / relationships are unfolding. The kids we are going after, which ones in this ‘19 class are going to be giddy about being sloppy seconds or thirds? I think CAM goes after kids with the intention he wants them, but if it isn’t reciprocated or he doesn’t feel good about it he, in a sense, moves on. It’s a chess game or a constant moving target. Or if he starts feeling really good about one, he lays off others which pretty much sends the message. He can circle back if he needs to. Part of that game is knowing which kids would be ready to pop and which ones he has time with. And he knows that through connected relationships. It’s a dangerous game to play giving half-hearted offers out. And I don’t think CAM does that. I think he may get a sense somebody may pop, and if he’s waiting on somebody else may let that recruit know that other circumstances have changed their offer. But in the moment, no I don’t think he offers a kid like he isn’t sure he really wants him. 

9 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m saying it’s an art, and that no we don’t tell kids we want them only if somebody else says no, or some other similar condition. I think the way CAM goes about his offers is due to how other offers / relationships are unfolding. The kids we are going after, which ones in this ‘19 class are going to be giddy about being sloppy seconds or thirds? I think CAM goes after kids with the intention he wants them, but if it isn’t reciprocated or he doesn’t feel good about it he, in a sense, moves on. It’s a chess game or a constant moving target. Or if he starts feeling really good about one, he lays off others which pretty much sends the message. He can circle back if he needs to. Part of that game is knowing which kids would be ready to pop and which ones he has time with. And he knows that through connected relationships. It’s a dangerous game to play giving half-hearted offers out. And I don’t think CAM does that. I think he may get a sense somebody may pop, and if he’s waiting on somebody else may let that recruit know that other circumstances have changed their offer. But in the moment, no I don’t think he offers a kid like he isn’t sure he really wants him. 

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2019-Basketball/Offers/

I'm not saying these offers are half-hearted.  I'm saying that I don't believe they are all unconditional.

Ruling out the kids who have already committed and the ones I think IU has no chance with, I still count eight legitimate offers.  I'd be very surprised if Archie absolutely takes the first 2-3 who pop regardless of who they are.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2019-Basketball/Offers/

I'm not saying these offers are half-hearted.  I'm saying that I don't believe they are all unconditional.

Ruling out the kids who have already committed and the ones I think IU has no chance with, I still count eight legitimate offers.  I'd be very surprised if Archie absolutely takes the first 2-3 who pop regardless of who they are.

I’m just saying that I think CAM would have taken any of the offers he has made at the time he offered. But I think he knows what the kids are feeling and knows how he can play the game so that if he does miss out on a Brooks or a TJD, then he hasn’t burned other bridges. Any commitment changes the entire situation though. So I’m sure after the Franklin commitment his thoughts changed on some of his offers. 

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and yet we've had plenty of members here argue that IU doesn't make conditional offers.

"All offers are absolute and unconditional!"

Yeah, right.

People deny things that make them uncomfortable. Clear as day that there are conditional offers. It’s not one sided either. It’s beneficial for both parties. 🤷🏼‍♂️

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thanks for the link.  That's pretty much how I thought the offer game went, but it's nice to see someone close to the game spell it out.  Some "offers" come with conditions and are not committable when they are made.

No doubt basketball functions the same way, albeit on a smaller scale.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I thought this was a given, but we've sure had some lively debates over something I thought was well-known.

I think the confusion is in the kinds of conditional offers - there are several types - and that an offer can be conditional just for the fact that a coach can extend an offer but also extend other offers, and if one of those is accepted the scholly offer originally made to player 1 may either be gone as the spot filled or may be a different animal, as player 2 plays the same position. Etc.

Archived