Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I would not say in terms of Knight there was a level of hate that caused kids to go elsewhere.  However, near the end of his time at IU..... there was plenty of discussion that his "Old School" tactics were causing kids to look at other schools.  Funny, in that "Knight's Ways" brought kids to IU early in his career, yet drove them away years later. 

Don't think there was any level of hate towards Sampson.  Kids especially one's with questionable character were attracted to him, due to his willingness to look the other way, when he should have cracked down on them.

No hate on Crean, either.  Just questions about him in terms of being quirky, and rubbing Indiana H.S. coaches the wrong way.

Can't answer in regards to Davis.

I can't say what Knight's personal relationships with the HS coaches of Indiana were....I'd think very good with the older ones that saw him graduate kids and he took many out of bad situations and they saw the opportunities he afforded to them playing and going to school at Indiana. Given his bullish behavior and personality I'm sure he didn't have great relationships with all of them and especially with the new guard coming up. I think his best ability was to sit in front a family and tell mom or dad I'm a strict disciplinarian....I'm going to get the most out of your son and I'm going to make sure he goes to class and graduates etc etc....as that became less important to parents and kids we saw success decrease on the recruiting trail. I think mostly Knight became disinterested in the very very hard work of recruiting and the very different world that it had become. I think a majority of it came from the AAU circuit and all the handlers/influencers that developed at the end of his tenure. No doubt he grew out of touch with the new wave of changes and most of his recruits became those interested in the legacy or education that Indiana had to offer more then he had to offer as a coach. After him I think we saw a coach in Davis that kids and parents questioned would he develop their son and if he had commitment from the University (he always seemed to still have that interim feel I guess)...then Crean we saw the issues with HS coaches etc and his inability to sale himself after his continuous over recruiting and lack of consistent player development. I think Archie is just right. He is no nonsense...not over promising...has the backing of the University...shown with Morgan players develop...good track record of success at a smaller school...and he relates and get's these kids of today. Super happy with him.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

SIAP.  Story from July 7.

NOW, this comment has me concerned.  "It was the one I really wanted (the PU offer).  I had been waiting for it.  "

Purdue target Brandon Newman going extra mile for improvement

I took it as he was getting these low-mid major offers and nothing from anyone that mattered to him...Purdue and Big Ten offers. He finally got it...and now he is getting even bigger offers since his rise from his summer ball. I think his rise has opened his eyes to the fact that there is much more out there then just the Purdue and Indiana offers and he wants to put himself in the position to choose from any number of schools and opportunities. Purdue and Indiana might be great offers but what if he can't play right away...that was also important. Maybe at Florida St or Miami depending on the recruits coming in he might get playing time sooner. Well he isn't likely to get those offers unless he gets the spotlight on his game at a prep school in similar fashion as his game has been recognized on the circuit lately. To me it's worrisome to ANYONE offering him so far. I think us and Purdue are his top suiters and most likely to get him....but I think (just my opinion) that he wants to get a lot more offers outside the area to make a full decision and do what's best for his game. I just look at his comment like PU was the offer level(of school) he had been waiting for....so he knows now he is going to be at a power conference school...but now I think he wants to expand his horizons.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I took it as he was getting these low-mid major offers and nothing from anyone that mattered to him...Purdue and Big Ten offers. He finally got it...and now he is getting even bigger offers since his rise from his summer ball. I think his rise has opened his eyes to the fact that there is much more out there then just the Purdue and Indiana offers and he wants to put himself in the position to choose from any number of schools and opportunities. Purdue and Indiana might be great offers but what if he can't play right away...that was also important. Maybe at Florida St or Miami depending on the recruits coming in he might get playing time sooner. Well he isn't likely to get those offers unless he gets the spotlight on his game at a prep school in similar fashion as his game has been recognized on the circuit lately. To me it's worrisome to ANYONE offering him so far. I think us and Purdue are his top suiters and most likely to get him....but I think (just my opinion) that he wants to get a lot more offers outside the area to make a full decision and do what's best for his game. I just look at his comment like PU was the offer level(of school) he had been waiting for....so he knows now he is going to be at a power conference school...but now I think he wants to expand his horizons.

https://mvasports.com/sports/2016/12/29/about-varsity-basketball.aspx?path=mbball

Definitely will increase his exposure and get more offers from a bigger geographic area. Looks like their players end up all over the place.

43 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Here's a guess - his offer isn't commitable.  Archie is waiting on Carton in 2 weeks.  We're only taking in 3 players.  TJD, KB, and DJ Carton.  EZ

I am guessing that’s not how things work. IMO you don’t offer a kid unless you’re prepared for them to accept. Just don’t see CAM telling a kid,  “I’m extending an offer, but you can’t accept right now.” That’s not the way to do things or win a kid over. Now, I can see offers “strategically” going out based on what the coaches know about a kid. For example, they may know Carton will decide before Newman, so they can offer both with the luxury of pulling Newman’s offer afterwards. But we’ve already discussed that the two don’t play the same position so I think your point is irrelevant (no offense). Carton is a true PG, Newman is a SG or combo at best. I think they offered both bc they want both. 

57 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I am guessing that’s not how things work. IMO you don’t offer a kid unless you’re prepared for them to accept. Just don’t see CAM telling a kid,  “I’m extending an offer, but you can’t accept right now.” That’s not the way to do things or win a kid over. Now, I can see offers “strategically” going out based on what the coaches know about a kid. For example, they may know Carton will decide before Newman, so they can offer both with the luxury of pulling Newman’s offer afterwards. But we’ve already discussed that the two don’t play the same position so I think your point is irrelevant (no offense). Carton is a true PG, Newman is a SG or combo at best. I think they offered both bc they want both. 

I think there's an excellent chance he's right.  How do we explain the offer to Armaan Franklin among others?  I'm pretty confident that we're not taking five or more and I think it's pretty hard to know for certain when a player will commit unless they give you a specific date like Romeo did.  Even then, kids change their minds on stuff all the time so you can't count on that either.  I think numerous offers made come with contingencies.  Otherwise, you run the risk of Newman, Franklin or someone else saying OK and then Carton says, "well I was coming to IU but now I'll got to Michigan since you have no scholarships available."

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think there's an excellent chance he's right.  How do we explain the offer to Armaan Franklin among others?  I'm pretty confident that we're not taking five or more and I think it's pretty hard to know for certain when a player will commit unless they give you a specific date like Romeo did.  Even then, kids change their minds on stuff all the time so you can't count on that either.  I think numerous offers made come with contingencies.  Otherwise, you run the risk of Newman, Franklin or someone else saying OK and then Carton says, "well I was coming to IU but now I'll got to Michigan since you have no scholarships available."

And Matt Painter say hello!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That said if Newman wants to play early (major minutes as a freshman) he would have to assume that if Carton commits that Green and Al would likely be forced to play mostly the 2....maybe even Anderson getting time at the 2. Carton and Phineese playing the point. That wouldn't leave much room for him. I think if Carton commits...we likely lose Newman even though I would love to have him. Even with Romeo going pro there won't be a lot of minutes freshman year for Newman. Again...I only mention that because he wanted to be ready to play right away (came from the article). Hope I'm wrong because I would love to have all 4. Heck throw in Watford too but I know there are only so many spots available...but it's a good problem to have with all these 5 stars interested and high 4 stars.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You explain it by the fact that Archie would take the kid if he decides to pop before Carton (the kid is a top 150 high school player in the entire country), but based on discussions CAM knows that won’t happen, so he’s safe. If Carton commits, then Franklin’s offer gets pulled. But once again, the coaches prob know where these kids are in their recruitments and can strategically offer each of them knowing that they can pull offers later. Newman’s offer is prob on the table regardless of timeline because we don’t have a legitimate shot at another SG right now (unless somebody is slipping my mind). Offers for TJD and Brooks are probably guaranteed and we’d prob halt or pull other offers if we got a couple commits before them. Of course we aren’t taking five, barring more transfers than expected, but five kids aren’t going to commit in a single day either. If one kid commits it can change every offer out there. I don’t disagree there are some contingencies out there, but I think they are strategic, not player dependent. We either truly want a kid when we offer or we don’t offer. A kid can’t possibly feel wanted or highly desired if there’s an offer dependent on him meeting more criteria. Why offer at all yet then if he isn’t up to snuff the way he is? 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

This is what I expected. He is nowhere near locked up or close to making a decision. He wants more offers and he is going to be a popular target before its all said and done. Not sure if his family moved with him or he is just going to the school in Florida but hopefully his Indiana ties still bring him back in the end.

In my experience scholarship offers don't come with "contingencies".  By that I mean you don't offer a kid a scholarship and say you can't commit until we hear back from whomever else first.  You don't offer a scholarship unless you are prepared for someone to accept it.    I think the timing of the offers kinda shows a lot.  In my opinion Archie offered Carton first and then gave ample time for him to make a decision and then proceeded to offer Franklin and Newman.  If Carton had committed early the offers to Franklin and Newman probably never would have happened.  Now that's not the same as offering four guards and saying we're only taking one guard so the first to commit takes it.

16 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

In my experience scholarship offers don't come with "contingencies".  By that I mean you don't offer a kid a scholarship and say you can't commit until we hear back from whomever else first.  You don't offer a scholarship unless you are prepared for someone to accept it.    I think the timing of the offers kinda shows a lot.  In my opinion Archie offered Carton first and then gave ample time for him to make a decision and then proceeded to offer Franklin and Newman.  If Carton had committed early the offers to Franklin and Newman probably never would have happened.  Now that's not the same as offering four guards and saying we're only taking one guard so the first to commit takes it.

What you say makes total sense to me.  Very well articulated on your part, I might add.

AN adjunct to that, is "the silent verbal".   What's that all about ?

34 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Not discounting your experience but I can guarantee it happens. Not only in hoops but football it's rampant. All day every day. 

I'll just use an example I know of recently. Brohm was recruiting a kid from Chicago. Had him down for a visit. Said two things. We won't offer you until you a run a 40 at a set time. At that point if you hit the time...we are only having 1 more kid at your position for this class and we have 2 in front of you that we've prioritized. If still interested in us...wait around. Only reason I know this is it's my best friend growing up. 

What you say makes total sense to me.  Very well articulated on your part, I might add.

AN adjunct to that, is "the silent verbal".   What's that all about ?

IU education...I think silent verbals are relatively new and probably more about kids wanting to determine how people find out, i.e. press conferences or social media 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not discounting your experience but I can guarantee it happens. Not only in hoops but football it's rampant. All day every day. 

I'll just use an example I know of recently. Brohm was recruiting a kid from Chicago. Had him down for a visit. Said two things. We won't offer you until you a run a 40 at a set time. At that point if you hit the time...we are only having 1 more kid at your position for this class and we have 2 in front of you that we've prioritized. If still interested in us...wait around. Only reason I know this is it's my best friend growing up. 

I don't doubt stuff like this happens.  That's why kids you think would jump as soon as the offer is made, don't always do that and it's why some kids aren't offered right away.  Kids know schools prioritize and I don't doubt that schools would rather wait to offer until they can offer without any contingencies.  I just think there are plenty of situations where a school feels pressured to make some kind of offer to keep their plan B options from committing early elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't doubt stuff like this happens.  That's why kids you think would jump as soon as the offer is made, don't always do that and it's why some kids aren't offered right away.  Kids know schools prioritize and I don't doubt that schools would rather wait to offer until they can offer without any contingencies.  I just think there are plenty of situations where a school feels pressured to make some kind of offer to keep their plan B options from committing early elsewhere.

All day long. You know who didn't understand the concept of plan B? Bruce Weber. All eggs in Gordon. Didn't do anything to make sure E'twaun Moore or Evan Turner (who both really liked the Illini) was the back up. I know Crean handed out scholarships like there were nothing but having plans A, B, and C in place are required. 

14 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

If someone offers you something and tells you “you can’t accept this offer”, then they haven’t really offered you anything have they?

My guess? The kid wants to say they have an offer from ___________ for the status of having an offer even if they know they are a plan B.

I get what you're saying...is an offer with strings attached really an offer?  I think kids treat them as such to feed their egos a little.  Can't say I blame them.  If IU had told me I could accept an offer to play basketball for them if their first 2,000 choices shot them down, I'd still enjoy telling people that IU offered me a basketball scholarship. 

Archived