Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not discounting your experience but I can guarantee it happens. Not only in hoops but football it's rampant. All day every day. 

I'll just use an example I know of recently. Brohm was recruiting a kid from Chicago. Had him down for a visit. Said two things. We won't offer you until you a run a 40 at a set time. At that point if you hit the time...we are only having 1 more kid at your position for this class and we have 2 in front of you that we've prioritized. If still interested in us...wait around. Only reason I know this is it's my best friend growing up. 

So as you said they haven’t offered him a scholarship....I would hear that as run the forty and if two of our other options say “no”, we will offer you a scholarship.  Offering someone they can’t accept is a sure way to burn a bridge or offend someone.  Either you want me to come to your school or you don’t.  JMO. Also I think it deminishes the significance of a scholarship offer.  

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

My guess? The kid wants to say they have an offer from ___________ for the status of having an offer even if they know they are a plan B.

I get what you're saying...is an offer with strings attached really an offer?  I think kids treat them as such to feed their egos a little.  Can't say I blame them.  If IU had told me I could accept an offer to play basketball for them if their first 2,000 choices shot them down, I'd still enjoy telling people that IU offered me a basketball scholarship. 

As well, this can become a bargaining chip. "I have an offer from school A" can be communicated to other schools without ever divulging that said offer has strings attached. I could see kids and their families using that strategy in hopes of getting more offers. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not discounting your experience but I can guarantee it happens. Not only in hoops but football it's rampant. All day every day. 

I'll just use an example I know of recently. Brohm was recruiting a kid from Chicago. Had him down for a visit. Said two things. We won't offer you until you a run a 40 at a set time. At that point if you hit the time...we are only having 1 more kid at your position for this class and we have 2 in front of you that we've prioritized. If still interested in us...wait around. Only reason I know this is it's my best friend growing up. 

Football is different though. D1 schools have 85 scholarships to waste, so coaches can be reckless with certain guys, meaning that they demand they hit a mark like you said before accepting a commitment. They offer scholarships in that sport to many kids who are unranked and are essentially a gamble or to fill depth spots. Not the same situation in basketball. Archie hasn’t offered a 19 kid outside of the top 125 high school kids in America. He’s working with 13 schollies. Just isn’t the same IMO. I don’t think you can function effectively on the recruiting side in high D1 basketball with half-ass offers (unless a coach holds all the cards, as in a kid wants to go to a certain school). 

11 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Football is different though. D1 schools have 85 scholarships to waste, so coaches can be reckless with certain guys, meaning that they demand they hit a mark like you said before accepting a commitment. They offer scholarships in that sport to many kids who are unranked and are essentially a gamble or to fill depth spots. Not the same situation in basketball. Archie hasn’t offered a 19 kid outside of the top 125 high school kids in America. He’s working with 13 schollies. Just isn’t the same IMO. I don’t think you can function effectively on the recruiting side in high D1 basketball with half-ass offers (unless a coach holds all the cards, as in a kid wants to go to a certain school). 

Understand and agree. Guess I should have added all the intricacies of each sport in my post. The point to my original post was this. Some offers/candidates can say yes whenever they want. Other offers are yes you can commit but only if this player says no. Happens in all money sports. 

Archie said it at his opening presser. Our offers will be gold. So far he is treating it that way. However...he's offered 3-4 people for 1 MAYBE 2 spots at a particular position in 19 class so the idea he isn't executing a plan B just doesn't make sense to me. Actually I'm glad he's doing that. I don't ever want to be in a situation where we are going for all 5 stars and for whatever reason miss on all...and the ups and downs continue (like under Crean, Davis). Archie is smart enough (so is his staff) to know that's a very easy way to get fired. Always have a plan B. 

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/07/12/tom-davis-high-school-basketball-in-indiana-as-it-was-has-left-and-it-isnt-coming-back/

Not sure if this the appropriate place for this, but it does refer to Newman's coach, and it also talks about how being an Indiana All Star is not the end all, be all for kids today. I believe both topics were touched on in this thread. 

I tend to agree that the highest level kids have their sights set on so much more than just being Mr. Basketball or All State. Kids at the highest level want to know how they compare to the best in the country, and possibly the world, vs comparing themselves to another in state player.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Teams can't talk about specific recruits until they sign a LOI so teams don't announce offers.

Prett sure that's right.  And that's why some kids in the past have boasted about being offered, when in fact, they hadn't.  Only in order to boost their resume. 

That was a lot of deep threes there...and some contested jumpers. Kid can definitely fill it up. That is something I would love to have at IU. Open up the floor for the rest of our guys if teams can't help off. Not sure we have a single guy (other than Romeo) that has the skill set he does. I hope him going out of state is just to make him better and to make the academic transition easier for him. He seems like the type that is improving at such a rate that may be late to commit. Hopefully it will still be with us.

When reading this article something piqued my interest he really sounded like he was little annoyed of the recruiting press from Purdue. Notice he didn't say one positive word of coach painter recruiting tactic just the name of the school,(desperate much?) while for Indiana he absolutely mention Archie in glowing praise. Did anyone catch that at all while reading or am I way off?

19 minutes ago, Calihoosier said:

When reading this article something piqued my interest he really sounded like he was little annoyed of the recruiting press from Purdue. Notice he didn't say one positive word of coach painter recruiting tactic just the name of the school,(desperate much?) while for Indiana he absolutely mention Archie in glowing praise. Did anyone catch that at all while reading or am I way off?

Painter's entire recruiting pitch is probably "IU doesn't send guards to the league, we are shooting guard U!" so it wouldn't surprise if Newman isn't interested.

14 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Painter's entire recruiting pitch is probably "IU doesn't send guards to the league, we are shooting guard U!" so it wouldn't surprise if Newman isn't interested.

Well we have Vic, EJ, and Yogi.  What guards does PU have in the league?

Archived