Need Feedback From HSN Posters

Starting this thread in the Basketball forum for those that may not ever venture to other areas of the site.  Basically trying to get the message out to everyone and also see if the results are consistent.

Anyway, some of us, myself included, have recently been having trouble navigating from page to page.  Basically, on a particular thread, we could only open pages that appeared on the main page of the board it was found on.  For example, on the Offseason thread, I could only open pages 1, 2, 3, 4, & 93.  If I opened Page 93, I could not navigate back to Page 92.

image.png.8f2240a1ad5e7ac3dd6d653dbc5721e6.png

After some changes were made to the site, HoosierFaithful recommended we clear our cookies and cache, and at least my navigation problems appear to be fixed.  However, since they have been fixed, something even weirder has happened to me.  When I try to reply to a thread while using Microsoft Edge it will not post.  I can type the response, hit submit, and my screen acts like it posts.  But, when I look back at the thread, there is nothing there.  I'm typing this while in Firefox, which seems to be working.

My purpose of posting this on the main board is to see if anyone else has had similar issues.  I know a couple of others who have.  However, the more we know about the issue, hopefully it will be easier to fix.  I don't want to see good posters give up on the site because it's not working right for them.

So, anyone else having navigation or posting issues as outlined above?  Or, if not exactly like those, is there anything else you're seeing that we've not experienced yet?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

• 5fouls changed the title to Need Feedback From HSN Posters

I can't tag members.  If I type @5fouls, a box pops up with a spinning circle, and just stays there.  I've tried to tag @thedailyhoosier several times for his content, and haven't been able to.

I'm using an old version of Firefox on Windows 7.  Because the newer versions are terrible. 

I've had a few issues with the pages, too, as you mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I can't tag members.  If I type @5fouls, a box pops up with a spinning circle, and just stays there.  I've tried to tag @thedailyhoosier several times for his content, and haven't been able to.

I'm using an old version of Firefox on Windows 7.  Because the newer versions are terrible. 

I've had a few issues with the pages, too, as you mentioned.

Are those recent developments, or issues you experienced prior to the last 6 weeks or so as well?

4 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I just tried to navigate the NBA thread (466 pages) and couldn't toggle between pages. Same with other threads as well. I'm using Chrome.

I've not been able to fix Chrome yet.  I seem to be doing okay now in Firefox and Edge.  

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Starting this thread in the Basketball forum for those that may not ever venture to other areas of the site.  Basically trying to get the message out to everyone and also see if the results are consistent.

Anyway, some of us, myself included, have recently been having trouble navigating from page to page.  Basically, on a particular thread, we could only open pages that appeared on the main page of the board it was found on.  For example, on the Offseason thread, I could only open pages 1, 2, 3, 4, & 93.  If I opened Page 93, I could not navigate back to Page 92.

image.png.8f2240a1ad5e7ac3dd6d653dbc5721e6.png

After some changes were made to the site, HoosierFaithful recommended we clear our cookies and cache, and at least my navigation problems appear to be fixed.  However, since they have been fixed, something even weirder has happened to me.  When I try to reply to a thread while using Microsoft Edge it will not post.  I can type the response, hit submit, and my screen acts like it posts.  But, when I look back at the thread, there is nothing there.  I'm typing this while in Firefox, which seems to be working.

My purpose of posting this on the main board is to see if anyone else has had similar issues.  I know a couple of others who have.  However, the more we know about the issue, hopefully it will be easier to fix.  I don't want to see good posters give up on the site because it's not working right for them.

So, anyone else having navigation or posting issues as outlined above?  Or, if not exactly like those, is there anything else you're seeing that we've not experienced yet?

I’m on my iPhone and I cannot hit previous or next. I was going crazy thinking it was my phone. Glad you brought this up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

My opinion is its possibly been a redirect issue. Redirects reduce server load. Too many could be the issue. Basically, if it loads, your getting an non-functioning image. Which is what I have been getting. I’ve not been able to log on most of the day.

I ran a network trace in Chrome's dev tools...didn't see any 300 HTTP codes indicating a redirect to the client.  However, I am seeing that there are three resource files that are currently failing to load which may be a good starting point to look over:

image.png.e0b79c2e5c66e93b2a1dfea9d4f42689.png

Edited by ClusterHead
  • Like 1

Did a little more digging (at least as best I can from my browser's console) and it appears those may be failing to load due to them being served over HTTP instead of HTTPS.   

There is also a JS promise that looks to be failing when trying to pull cached assets which would explain why a cache refresh fixes the issue in the short term.  Sorry for getting a bit technical, but I can share my findings with mods if this isn't the place to continue the conversation.

Edited by ClusterHead
Meant to say JavaScript, not JSON
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Luckily for me I hit H....and it takes me to this site, Home Depot or a soul food restaurant here in Indy. I've had zero issues other than a small delay a time or two. Appreciate the crew whoever you are for the site. If I can't get on for an hour or 24 it's probably better anyway. 

4 hours ago, ClusterHead said:

Did a little more digging (at least as best I can from my browser's console) and it appears those may be failing to load due to them being served over HTTP instead of HTTPS.   

There is also a JS promise that looks to be failing when trying to pull cached assets which would explain why a cache refresh fixes the issue in the short term.  Sorry for getting a bit technical, but I can share my findings with mods if this isn't the place to continue the conversation.

To summarize in a non-technical item, is there anything individual posters can do, or is this something that would need to be changed by the 'site'?

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Luckily for me I hit H....and it takes me to this site, Home Depot or a soul food restaurant here in Indy. I've had zero issues other than a small delay a time or two. Appreciate the crew whoever you are for the site. If I can't get on for an hour or 24 it's probably better anyway. 

My recent issues have not been getting to the site, it's been navigating on it once I am there.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Inequality said:

My opinion is its possibly been a redirect issue. Redirects reduce server load. Too many could be the issue. Basically, if it loads, your getting an non-functioning image. Which is what I have been getting. I’ve not been able to log on most of the day.

"Redirected too many times" was the error message I was getting yesterday morning.  Dumping my cookies/cache did no good.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ClusterHead said:

Been a while since I dabbled in this kind of stuff, but I think @clusterhead is on the right track with the bolded statement.

NIce work!

• Like 2