2023 Jamie Kaiser Jr. Committed to Maryland

Indykev

On 5/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Indykev said:

I didnt think he was very athletic until I watched the 2nd vid.

I still don’t see the athleticism. He fails to separate off the dribble which results in lots of contested jumpers (although he seems to have a knack for hitting difficult shots). I don’t see a lot of lift in his jumper nor when he attacks the rim. He has some nifty crossovers and step backs that he absolutely needs to free him up because he can’t get past anyone. To me he plays a lot like Miller Kopp. Perhaps will be better shooter but he is definitely a guy that needs someone to help him get looks….and given our guards…I can see how he would fit. But athletic…not in the traditional basketball sense.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I still don’t see the athleticism. He fails to separate off the dribble which results in lots of contested jumpers (although he seems to have a knack for hitting difficult shots). I don’t see a lot of lift in his jumper nor when he attacks the rim. He has some nifty crossovers and step backs that he absolutely needs to free him up because he can’t get past anyone. To me he plays a lot like Miller Kopp. Perhaps will be better shooter but he is definitely a guy that needs someone to help him get looks….and given our guards…I can see how he would fit. But athletic…not in the traditional basketball sense.

Well that sounds promising!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Well that sounds promising!

Depends on his role on the team. We have a lot of facilitators and guys that can finish in and around the rim and breakdown a defense. We have lacked knock down shooting and this kid can definitely do that. I don’t think what I said was a bad thing…

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m guessing he will play through contact much better than Miller. Think Ron Harper Jr…not on that level, yet obviously, but similar builds…I could see him being that type of player by year 3

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I’m guessing he will play through contact much better than Miller. Think Ron Harper Jr…not on that level, yet obviously, but similar builds…I could see him being that type of player by year 3

He does have the physicality…I’m not saying he won’t be a good fit…just saying I don’t see the athleticism in the traditional sense. I don’t see an ability to get past his man or really finish at the rim over people. Kid has some wiggle and some strong snap in his cross over, jab step, and step back etc to get his shot off…and he seems to hit highly contested shots and finish through contact…so there is pluses…but athleticism…very much reminds me of a Miller Kopp.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

He does have the physicality…I’m not saying he won’t be a good fit…just saying I don’t see the athleticism in the traditional sense. I don’t see an ability to get past his man or really finish at the rim over people. Kid has some wiggle and some strong snap in his cross over, jab step, and step back etc to get his shot off…and he seems to hit highly contested shots and finish through contact…so there is pluses…but athleticism…very much reminds me of a Miller Kopp.

It caught my attention that he seems to have a quick release to be comfortable shooting under pressure from perimeter.  He is a bit more athletic than Kopp, athletic enough to get to his mid range shot, which seems to be a strength.  Love a wing player that is good at posting up, and his makes rarely hit the rim.  After the past 10+ years of shooting woes, I would be glad to see him as a Hoosier!

• Like 1