2023 Jamie Kaiser Jr. Committed to Maryland

Indykev

On 8/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, Madison22 said:

Part of his evaluation I really liked:

Disposition/Presence
  • Plays hard on both ends. Really puts out. Very competitive.

• Competes with a great motor

• Plays hard through adversity

• Doesn’t allow misses, turnovers, mistakes (his or his teammates’) to affect his effort

• Even-keeled

• Exhibits the consistently positive body language

• Does not argue with the referees

• Good, positive teammate

• Runs to help his teammates off the floor

• Encourages his teammates

• Patient with his teammates’ mistakes

• A team-first player who plays to win

• Let’s me do the talking

• High character

Bold sounds like my dream girl….so surely it would make a good recruit too lol! (Have to expand quote to see)

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

For some reason not from what I have heard but looking whole big picture I still think IU is in a good position here. I feel he likes IU the most but staying home is important to parents. 

I agree, S. I sure hope Coach Woodson & Co. can pull this one out! I'm sure most have already read the info below, but it sure makes you feel that it's Maryland going away...... 

In Tipton’s report, Kaiser said he had a great visit at Indiana, but noted he has been a Maryland fan since he was a small child, and sees an immediate opportunity to play at the school which is a short drive from his Virginia home.

Typically in a situation where a small group of finalists is announced along with a near term announcement date, a decision has been reached.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Given the depth on our team I’m ok holding onto a couple scholarships. With the portal providing difference making players available each and every year I have no problem if we don’t land the guys we want. Don’t sign kids just to sign. Woodson and company has already shown the ability to bring in high level talent both ways (recruiting/portal).  Not to mention it is very hard to find playing time and keep 13 kids engaged..so if there is an open roster spot I’m not going to stress. Clearly we have a couple holes to fill but if we end up with a nice well rounded roster of 11-12 kids that will certainly be more than sufficient. Need a B1G certainly and would love to add a sharpshooter but if we end up with 11 or 12 kids…I don’t stress.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Chris over at BTB say the same thing. 2023 class is starting to thin out so hopefully we can get Page and Harris-Smith. 

Yeah 2023 not looking to great.  Not too concerned, I’ll only be concerned if we’re in the same boat in 24 & 25.  Good news is 8,000 players will be in the portal next spring.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Yeah 2023 not looking to great.  Not too concerned, I’ll only be concerned if we’re in the same boat in 24 & 25.  Good news is 8,000 players will be in the portal next spring.

I think IU could actually be suffering from the stability in the program. Guys sticking around and few transfers as it creates a log jam for minutes for these young kids that want to come in and play right away. Sure if you are a top 50 player you probably have a shot to work your way into the rotation fairly easy but if you aren’t…take a number it’s going to be hard for you to over take others on this roster for playing time. Past 5-6 years the program has been so starved for talent any kid would look at IU as an opportunity to play right away….now it’s a long shot. I think as some of our top end talent moves on and we see some roster shuffling we will see some kids jump at the chance to join…or certainly find ones that want stability and place to grow their game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think IU could actually be suffering from the stability in the program. Guys sticking around and few transfers as it creates a log jam for minutes for these young kids that want to come in and play right away. Sure if you are a top 50 player you probably have a shot to work your way into the rotation fairly easy but if you aren’t…take a number it’s going to be hard for you to over take others on this roster for playing time. Past 5-6 years the program has been so starved for talent any kid would look at IU as an opportunity to play right away….now it’s a long shot. I think as some of our top end talent moves on and we see some roster shuffling we will see some kids jump at the chance to join…or certainly find ones that want stability and place to grow their game.

What Woodson needs to do this season to help alleviate those types of concerns is to not start older players who aren't performing over younger players who are. 

He stuck with Kopp and Stewart last year but also didn't have many other options. With how poorly they played, it still wouldn't been nice to see him change it up a bit 

This year Stewart is gone and there is more depth (on paper) at the wing. So if Kopp isn't meeting expectations or if someone is seriously outperforming him, it would be great to see Kopp get benched. Same goes for Thompson if Reneau is playing a lot better than him.

That would be good for the team but also allow the coaching staff to show that they mean it when they tell the recruits they have a chance to get real PT and/or start even if there is already someone ahead of them on the roster.

The reverse is also true. The recruits will notice if Woodson sticks with upperclassmen who aren't performing over younger players who are. 

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

What Woodson needs to do this season to help alleviate those types of concerns is to not start older players who aren't performing over younger players who are. 

He stuck with Kopp and Stewart last year but also didn't have many other options. With how poorly they played, it still wouldn't been nice to see him change it up a bit 

This year Stewart is gone and there is more depth (on paper) at the wing. So if Kopp isn't meeting expectations or if someone is seriously outperforming him, it would be great to see Kopp get benched. Same goes for Thompson if Reneau is playing a lot better than him.

That would be good for the team but also allow the coaching staff to show that they mean it when they tell the recruits they have a chance to get real PT and/or start even if there is already someone ahead of them on the roster.

The reverse is also true. The recruits will notice if Woodson sticks with upperclassmen who aren't performing over younger players who are. 

I think Kaiser just saw TB, TG, JHS, Gunn, and Banks and realized he wasn't going to play as a FR. We got dudes.  

Get old and stay old. Sprinkle in a FR or two. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Per BTBers.. Kaisers mom didn't even go on the OV with him. They are Maryland fans. This has nothing to do with how much MK or PS played last year. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think Kaiser just saw TB, TG, JHS, Gunn, and Banks and realized he wasn't going to play as a FR. We got dudes.  

Get old and stay old. Sprinkle in a FR or two. 

I transposed your post because the first one, I can totally agree with from the he recruit's standpoint. Hey, you want the people you love to be able to be at as many games as possible. Many other reasons to pick a place besides IU... Coach, overall experience, academics... And that's fine...

As far as the second post, I understand everyone wants playing time, but Malik Reneau had to see the same thing with 3 and possibly 4 players initially in front of him for playing time, and he embraced it.

I'm not saying Kaiser is afraid of the competition for playing time. I hope he sees that competition like that is what makes you better. "Iron sharpens iron."

And I hope he chooses IU. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I transposed your post because the first one, I can totally agree with from the he recruit's standpoint. Hey, you want the people you love to be able to be at as many games as possible. Many other reasons to pick a place besides IU... Coach, overall experience, academics... And that's fine...

As far as the second post, I understand everyone wants playing time, but Malik Reneau had to see the same thing with 3 and possibly 4 players initially in front of him for playing time, and he embraced it.

I'm not saying Kaiser is afraid of the competition for playing time. I hope he sees that competition like that is what makes you better. "Iron sharpens iron."

And I hope he chooses IU. 

Malik is going to play 30mpg as a SO. The wing spot has an immense amount more competition, currently.  

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Malik is going to play 30mpg as a SO. The wing spot has an immense amount more competition, currently.  

Yeah, Malik is essentially going to take on a TJD type role as a sophomore. 

Props to him for being willing to step into a loaded team (for one year) and learn the ropes, but after this year, the position is his. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well he's certainly in line to play that amount of minutes...

My point was, he has 2 experienced players this year standing in his way and that didn't bother him... He'll also be competing for minutes with Geronimo (unless Jordan has improved his wing play immensely) and possibly Duncomb...

He's a 5 star recruit and many of those types want immediate playing time.

I think Malik understands the value of competition in practices. He certainly experienced that at Montverde... 

• Like 3