Weird Science

....another topic for the slow, slow off-season:

With the UFO hearings starting today I thought why not start a science thread to discuss the unexplained, the theoretical, the mysterious aspects, etc. of science. 

Some things on my mind......

1. Regarding the UFO hearings, there's a great Joe Rogan interview with Neil Degrasse Tyson from a few months ago. Tyson is pretty adamant that the UFO are not aliens - he puts an emphasis on 'unexplained'. As in we don't know. And because we don't know, doesn't automatically mean that the UFO's are alien. There have been many other instances where certain UFO's, initially thought to be aliens, have been explained as weather balloons, illusions, etc. He also ponders that IF aliens had the technology to travel to this planet then they most likely wouldn't be 'seen' unless they wanted to be seen.

2. Time dilation/time travel. As a consequence to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and it passes at different rates. So, the faster a person moves, the slower their time moves - relative to a person standing still (or moving at a slower speed). For example. If your walking down the aisle on an airplane to use the bathroom, you think you are walking at a speed of 2 mph, but to a person standing on the ground you are walking 402 mph (assuming the plane is moving at a speed of 400 mph). Anyway, based on that observation it is assumed that if you travel at close to the speed of light your concept of time would almost stand still relative to a person standing on Earth.

Hypothetically, If one  was traveling on a ship for 5 years at 99 percent the speed of light (2.5 years out and 2.5 years back), that corresponds to roughly 36 years on Earth. When the spaceship returned to Earth, the people onboard would come back 31 years in their future.

An interesting fact I learned is that there is a human who has time traveled. A Russian cosmonaut spent 803 days in space, and because he rotated faster than the Earth in orbit he came back to Earth .02 seconds into the future.  

A question I have - If humans were to travel at a speed so fast that they could go interstellar and back, how do they avoid objects floating in space (giant rocks, meteors, etc.)?

Wrapping it up - While I believe that there has to be intelligent life out there somewhere. Can they reach us? It's believed that it's impossible for an object to travel at the speed of light. And if an object (or being) could for observational purposes, taking time dilation into the equation, and assuming they'd be traveling for multiple light years, who would they report their findings back to, unless their species lived for hundreds of years????

If anybody is still reading at this point. Please share in cool facts, theories, etc. 

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

I don't know. Haven't thought about it except in the fact that any beings that knows how to travel through the universe at speeds greater than light would obviously have a weapon that would make the Death Star look like a water pistol and could really ruin our day...

And they've probably already watched "Independence Day" numerous times and LTFAO... 

And to be honest, I think Congress really has bigger fish to fry right now...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know. Haven't thought about it except in the fact that any beings that knows how to travel through the universe at speeds greater than light would obviously have a weapon that would make the Death Star look like a water pistol and could really ruin our day...

And they've probably already watched " Independence Day" numerous times and LTFAO...

HAHA. The 'intelligent' life in Independence Day lacked so much intelligence when you think about it. They must've been a bunch of screw ups. If any alien civilization wanted our resources and had the technology to get here, there would be a 'fight'. We'd be like an ant 'fighting back' against my shoe as I stepped on it. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

....another topic for the slow, slow off-season:

With the UFO hearings starting today I thought why not start a science thread to discuss the unexplained, the theoretical, the mysterious aspects, etc. of science. 

Some things on my mind......

1. Regarding the UFO hearings, there's a great Joe Rogan interview with Neil Degrasse Tyson from a few months ago. Tyson is pretty adamant that the UFO are not aliens - he puts an emphasis on 'unexplained'. As in we don't know. And because we don't know, doesn't automatically mean that the UFO's are alien. There have been many other instances where certain UFO's, initially thought to be aliens, have been explained as weather balloons, illusions, etc. He also ponders that IF aliens had the technology to travel to this planet then they most likely wouldn't be 'seen' unless they wanted to be seen.

2. Time dilation/time travel. As a consequence to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and it passes at different rates. So, the faster a person moves, the slower their time moves - relative to a person standing still (or moving at a slower speed). For example. If your walking down the aisle on an airplane to use the bathroom, you think you are walking at a speed of 2 mph, but to a person standing on the ground you are walking 402 mph (assuming the plane is moving at a speed of 400 mph). Anyway, based on that observation it is assumed that if you travel at close to the speed of light your concept of time would almost stand still relative to a person standing on Earth.

Hypothetically, If one  was traveling on a ship for 5 years at 99 percent the speed of light (2.5 years out and 2.5 years back), that corresponds to roughly 36 years on Earth. When the spaceship returned to Earth, the people onboard would come back 31 years in their future.

An interesting fact I learned is that there is a human who has time traveled. A Russian cosmonaut spent 803 days in space, and because he rotated faster than the Earth in orbit he came back to Earth .02 seconds into the future.  

A question I have - If humans were to travel at a speed so fast that they could go interstellar and back, how do they avoid objects floating in space (giant rocks, meteors, etc.)?

Wrapping it up - While I believe that there has to be intelligent life out there somewhere. Can they reach us? It's believed that it's impossible for an object to travel at the speed of light. And if an object (or being) could for observational purposes, taking time dilation into the equation, and assuming they'd be traveling for multiple light years, who would they report their findings back to, unless their species lived for hundreds of years????

If anybody is still reading at this point. Please share in cool facts, theories, etc. 

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

And if this interests anybody, a couple of references...

A good book that somewhat wrestles with the subject of time dilation and space travel is Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. He's the author that wrote the Martian and Project Hail Mary is also slated to be a movie starring Ryan Gossling. Quick summary, the main character needs to make an interstellar trips to save Earth, but he needs to hurry up because of that pesky time dilation thing. Time is moving much faster on Earth because he's traveling at half the speed of light. Spectacular book if you like Sci-Fi.  https://www.amazon.com/Project-Hail-Mary-Andy-Weir/dp/0593135202

Joe/Neil podcast:

5 minutes ago, rico said:

So when does The Bible pick up?  I mean Adam and Eve weren't Neanderthals.  

I was taught that time is a construct of man and the Bible does say that in God's time a 1000 years is a day and a day a 1000 years which could mean anything. 

So theoretically creation could have taken 6.5 billion years. Since Adam and Eve were created on the 6th day what if each day of creation took a billion years and evolution was just one of the tools used?

I don't know. This is the kind of stuff I think about in my downtime at work. 

• Like 1

So the first thing to come out of the Congressional hearing is an extraterrestrial message we're going to transmit in the clear that any aliens using fossil fuels might get here, but if you're depending on us, you're  probably not going to be able to afford the trip back 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was taught that time is a construct of man and the Bible does say that in God's time a 1000 years is a day and a day a 1000 years which could mean anything. 

So theoretically creation could have taken 6.5 billion years. Since Adam and Eve were created on the 6th day what if each day of creation took a billion years and evolution was just one of the tools used?

I love talking about The Holy Bible vs. Evolution(science) as well.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

There are alot of variables.  A big one being whether or not one takes a literal interpretation of the Bible. I tend to look at the old testament figuratively.

I came up with the idea for a paper I had to write for an evolutionary biology class in college about evolution vs creation. I just wanted to stump the professor but it actually led to a pretty good discussion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I always thought it was funny that the evolutionists don't think anyone smart enough to create a whole universe in 7 days couldn't think up planting some "dinosaur" bones to throw us off the scent...

• Haha 2

I think it was Stephen Hawking that said that if there is intelligent life out there we are better off if we don't meet them. They may look at us the way we look at bacteria.

As for time travel, if it was possible, an older version of me would have already shown up to kick my ass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it was Stephen Hawking that said that if there is intelligent life out there we are better off if we don't meet them. They may look at us the way we look at bacteria.

As for time travel, if it was possible, an older version of me would have already shown up to kick my ass. 

Maybe the aliens in the UFOs are the time travelers?

• Like 1

I'm very intrigued by space. What Elon is doing with SpaceX is exciting.

My family is not religious, but I went to a catholic grade school and high school for the education. I was looked down upon because I was one of the few who wasn't baptized in the schools. To be honest, it made me hate the catholic church and what it stands for. Is there a higher being out there? Doubtful. But I respect those who think there is. 

I think its silly to think we are the only form of life in the universe. Fortunately, I'm still pretty young, so I think I will be alive when that day comes. 

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was listening to a theoretical physicist who thought that only time travel into the future is possible, but not the past. Which makes sense that time dilation could be accelerated (the faster one is moved the more time passes), but this can't be reversed. Which asks the question, if you time traveled into the future could you make it back to your present?

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was listening to a theoretical physicist who thought that only time travel into the future is possible, but not the past. Which makes sense that time dilation could be accelerated (the faster one is moved the more time passes), but this can't be reversed. Which asks the question, if you time traveled into the future could you make it back to your present?

I was really hoping teleportation would have become a thing. Would really cut down on the daily commute. 

I'm not sure I would want to travel to the future if I couldn't come back to present. 

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Perhaps God's construct of time was different. Regarding religion, I think we should just be careful to not fill religion into the gaps of things we can't explain because of what the bible literally says. 

I'm not saying that your God or other's Gods aren't real or wrong, but filling in those unexplained gaps with something that in itself can't be fully explained, can hypothetically stifle further discovery. After all, the bible does use the term 'four corners of the earth'. Of course this is now taken taken figuratively, but it not too long ago it was taken literally. And those who took it literally were sure not fans of Newton. 

I'm just saying that there are a TON of things out there that neither the bible or science can explain. I mentioned above that it's 'believed' nobody could travel at the speed of light. But perhaps that is wrong. Perhaps our brain can't comprehend this possibility because our knowledge of physics, at this point in time, is limited. Maybe we aren't seeing a bigger picture that exists. 

To make this even more trippy, perhaps things we can't explain are themselves a paradox. A paradox like standing on the North Pole and not being able to definitively point to the South, because every direction is South. And East. And West. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Perhaps God's construct of time was different. Regarding religion, I think we should just be careful to not fill religion into the gaps of things we can't explain because of what the bible literally says. 

I'm not saying that your God or other's Gods aren't real or wrong, but filling in those unexplained gaps with something that in itself can't be fully explained, can hypothetically stifle further discovery. After all, the bible does use the term 'four corners of the earth'. Of course this is now taken taken figuratively, but it not too long ago it was taken literally. And those who took it literally were sure not fans of Newton. 

I'm just saying that there are a TON of things out there that neither the bible or science can explain. I mentioned above that it's 'believed' nobody could travel at the speed of light. But perhaps that is wrong. Perhaps our brain can't comprehend this possibility because our knowledge of physics, at this point in time, is limited. Maybe we aren't seeing a bigger picture that exists. 

To make this even more trippy, perhaps things we can't explain are themselves a paradox. A paradox like standing on the North Pole and not being able to definitely point to the South, because every direction is South. And East. And West. 

You Just Blew My Mind GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've wondered what if evolution was God's mechanism for creation and evolutionary theory and creation are intertwined.

I’m more or less neutral on religion nowadays, but my upbringing was Catholic. I was probably 9 or 10 whenever I made a room full of adults, including 2 nuns and a priest, go stone cold silent when I asked “What if God created evolution?” 

Still one of my proudest moments. 

8 hours ago, rico said:

So when does The Bible pick up?  I mean Adam and Eve weren't Neanderthals.  

Here’s a whole big can of worms to open, but it all depends on which version of “the” Bible, how allegorical vs  literal you interpret it to be, and how accurately you believe the texts have been translated over the years. And that doesn’t take into account the acceptance of what is considered canon vs apocrypha, which took place 200-300 years after the death of Christ. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

To make this even more trippy, perhaps things we can't explain are themselves a paradox. A paradox like standing on the North Pole and not being able to definitively point to the South, because every direction is South. And East. And West. 

I’ve said for years, my entire religious/metaphysical beliefs can be captured in a line from the movie Rudy:

“Son, in my 35 years of religious study, I’ve come across only two hard, incontrovertible truths: There is a God and….I’m not him.”

I believe that there are things/processes/phenomena out there that the human brain isn’t meant to understand. Whatever it is goes beyond our plane of thinking. And I’m 100% ok with that. To me personally, that’s proof that there are forces at work in the world outside of humanity. Whether one chooses to assign the name “God”, “Allah”, “Jehovah”, “Brahman”, etc is a matter of personal belief and interpretation. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If they don’t believe that already, they will if they watch any congressional hearings 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1