MSU is in trouble

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Agreed 100%. Izzo's a complete dirtbag.

I don't see how any MSU fan can stand behind that. If Archie pulled crap like that, I'd want his ass out of IU.

I bet MSU won't part ways with Dantonio and Izzo. If MSU feels that it should lose one of them, it could be Dantonio. After the Appling/Payne case, I never respected Izzo any more. I could see he cared about winning more than doing the right thing and his false notion of 'family' thing.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

I bet MSU won't part ways with Dantonio and Izzo. If MSU feels that it should lose one of them, it could be Dantonio. After the Appling/Payne case, I never respected Izzo any more. I could see he cared about winning more than doing the right thing and his false notion of 'family' thing.

I don't think he survives to the end of the season. This little fireball came out before today's news:

http://statenews.com/article/2018/01/editorial-jan-24

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Agreed. And I think they'll pick D'Antonio as the scapegoat simply for the fact that Izzo wins more.

Morality is out the window when someone wins. If MSU's basketball program was losing, fans would be calling for his head.

6 minutes ago, ephul said:

Agreed. And I think they'll pick D'Antonio as the scapegoat simply for the fact that Izzo wins more.

Morality is out the window when someone wins. If MSU's basketball program was losing, fans would be calling for his head.

Times have changed. Baylor football was rolling and they burnt it down. 

Much like the movie Spotlight that was based on journalists exposing the Catholic church pedophiles , protecting priests,etc....kudos to Indy Star reporters who dug up the dirt on Larry Nassar as well. I hold the same opinion on both. Anyone that either looked the other way, protected or didn't go above and beyond to protect these children deserves not only to lose their job but the public humiliation that goes with it. Being fired or resigning is the least of their worries. 

I was screaming on another board about Appling/Payne (I think Jemele Hill was the only one with courage to investigate) when it happened. 16 different football players under  Dantonio's watch. The whole athletic department should be blown up.

After that. Crean goes home to Sparty. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Times have changed. Baylor football was rolling and they burnt it down. 

Their scandal pertained to the football program from my recollection. MSU's problem is across the entire institution. 

At the end of the day, if they don't clean house, even Izzo, I'll be very disappointed. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think he survives to the end of the season. This little fireball came out before today's news:

http://statenews.com/article/2018/01/editorial-jan-24

Public sentiment will be on display at the game tonight. The editorial board is just that. Do the students and alumni pack the stadium in support? Will fs1 show public dissent?

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

Their scandal pertained to the football program from my recollection. MSU's problem is across the entire institution. 

At the end of the day, if they don't clean house, even Izzo, I'll be very disappointed. 

Correct. I was just saying that winning is no longer enough. 

IMO, the fact that it's so wide spread makes it less likely Izzo survives. The board will likely move on everyone remotely in the scope of this. 

26 minutes ago, Sagamore said:

In regards to the nerf incident - remember that little girl with cancer that Payne was linked to?  Thinking back to when they aired those segments, I always wondered if that was engineered to make MSU bball look better...

I felt the same although part of me wanted to believe there was an ounce of genuineness in it.

"Retirement" should in no way protect the AD, administration and coaches from criminal prosecution, which could be a real option for even the football and men's basketball coaches at MSU.  Just the gymnastics portion of this is much worse than the Penn State crimes.  I hope these scumbags are sweating bullets now.

I dont even know where to begin with all of this.  It hits awfully close to home.  I wanted to blow up the MSU post game thread with the direction that one was headed, however, it was not the place and it was rightfully locked.

How many were sacrificed to keep the prestige or reputation of the university in tact?  Sexual abuse victims already have a very difficult time coming forward in our culture (studies have pointed to our culture being one of rape or at the very least - gross abuse ). Still, victims rise above it, come forward and survive.  Anyone that comes forward that was truly abused, is an incredible person.

I say this hits close to home not because it was my wife who was sexually abused, but me.  I blamed myself, lived with the guilt, repressed memories, it was destroying me and my marriage before I finally sought help.  The perpetrator was family.  He did not see any repercussion as the statute of limitations ran out in the state of Indiana.  I tell you all of this as I only ask you to think avout what you say or think before siding with the accused of sexual crime.  Is your position enabling rape culture?

Bully and "celebrity" entitlement culture needs to stop. It's been like this in both entertainment and sports (which are pretty much the same thing) forever. Hoosier fans can understand this as much as anyone. Coaches and players can get away with a lot more than "normal" university employees and students. And the irony of my avatar is not lost on me. 

24 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I dont even know where to begin with all of this.  It hits awfully close to home.  I wanted to blow up the MSU post game thread with the direction that one was headed, however, it was not the place and it was rightfully locked.

How many were sacrificed to keep the prestige or reputation of the university in tact?  Sexual abuse victims already have a very difficult time coming forward in our culture (studies have pointed to our culture being one of rape or at the very least - gross abuse ). Still, victims rise above it, come forward and survive.  Anyone that comes forward that was truly abused, is an incredible person.

I say this hits close to home not because it was my wife who was sexually abused, but me.  I blamed myself, lived with the guilt, repressed memories, it was destroying me and my marriage before I finally sought help.  The perpetrator was family.  He did not see any repercussion as the statute of limitations ran out in the state of Indiana.  I tell you all of this as I only ask you to think avout what you say or think before siding with the accused of sexual crime.  Is your position enabling rape culture?

Thank you for sharing your story, I can not imagine how much you have had to endure.  I think your last line is very important, if you know about something going on and do nothing about you are just as guilty as those that commit the actual crime.  This is exactly what happened with MSU and the US Gymnastics association, people knew about this a long time ago and simply turned their backs or actively participated in a cover up.  This whole thing disgusts me and makes me value my job as a school counselor even more, knowing that for many kids they do not have anyone looking out for them.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

After reading that article, who among us would send their daughter to MSU?  I'll tell you this, if that story were about IU, no way would my daughter go there no matter how much love I had for IU basketball.

Makes me proud of the way IU handled the Kevin Wilson situation. Not exactly the same but Students health > winning. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Wasn't there just a thread where some folks got really mad about any crticism of Izzo, and what a great guy he was? Oh well.

There was and I was one who defended him. To answer someone else, the Payne/ little girl story ran on The Journey in 2013, I believe.

i had no knowledge of the Appling/Payne incident until reading this story today.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, my opinion of Izzo has completely changed. 

1 minute ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

There was and I was one who defended him. To answer someone else, the Payne/ little girl story ran on The Journey in 2013, I believe.

i had no knowledge of the Appling/Payne incident until reading this story today.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, my opinion of Izzo has completely changed. 

I referenced this story in that thread. 

Archived