MSU is in trouble

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Report: NCAA President Mark Emmert Was Personally Informed About 37 MSU Athlete Sex Assault Cases In 2010, Did Nothing

Headlines such as this, cause me to wonder about the NCAA investigation into UNC.  Did Emmert look the other way in that case as well ?

Of course he did. He couldn’t have his cash cows going down!

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Report: NCAA President Mark Emmert Was Personally Informed About 37 MSU Athlete Sex Assault Cases In 2010, Did Nothing

Headlines such as this, cause me to wonder about the NCAA investigation into UNC.  Did Emmert look the other way in that case as well ?

Didn't look the other way. Just tobacco attorneys doing what they do. Basically found a way to win and executed. I'll paraphrase of what UNC counsel said to NCAA. Stay in your lane. You don't have the authority to sanction us. Hate it....but it was great legally. 

Emmert will see this one through temporarily but my guess is he'll head back to Washington sometime during 2018. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I’ll never understand why FSU’s scandal was “academic fraud” leading to sanctions and vacated wins but UNC’s scandal was “outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA”. Lesson to all major universities...don’t help athletes cheat in real courses, instead create fake classes anyone can enroll in with zero attendance and A grades that require no actual work...nothing wrong with that in Emmert’s eyes

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I’ll never understand why FSU’s scandal was “academic fraud” leading to sanctions and vacated wins but UNC’s scandal was “outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA”. Lesson to all major universities...don’t help athletes cheat in real courses, instead create fake classes anyone can enroll in with zero attendance and A grades that require no actual work...nothing wrong with that in Emmert’s eyes

At it's purest point. Because the sham classes were open to regular students too...not just student athletes. No impermissible benefit. It's kind of like the player dorms UK and Kansas have. They are allowed if it's not housing for players only. Has to meet a ratio of some sort. I remember one example where relatives or friends of players would live there also. Always a way to manipulate the rules. 

What I found interesting from The Atlantic article is that it seems like Emmert is basically powerless when it comes to these things. The article had a source, Redmond, which said Emmert told her the right things and he came into the job with good intentions, but he quickly realized the Board of Govenors controls everything and Emmert is their puppet. 

With that said, taking down Emmert would be taking down the figure head, someone needs to sniff out this NCAA Board of Govenors and take them down. That would be cutting the head off the snake. 

This is going to be interesting. Both head coaches should be fired. But, both the university President and the AD are gone. Are interims going to have the clout to make this decision? Are the Board of Regents going to back them? Or are they going to play the "let the legal investigation play out " game?

Who in their right mind would even consider taking either position if it has not been resolved? How long could any university continue with interim leadership? 

I hope that this is handled quickly and definitively. This cannot turn into the sham that the UNC situation did.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

This is going to be interesting. Both head coaches should be fired. But, both the university President and the AD are gone. Are interims going to have the clout to make this decision? Are the Board of Regents going to back them? Or are they going to play the "let the legal investigation play out " game?

Who in their right mind would even consider taking either position if it has not been resolved? How long could any university continue with interim leadership? 

I hope that this is handled quickly and definitively. This cannot turn into the sham that the UNC situation did.

I was wondering last night watching the AD’s (Hollis) presser where he announced his retirement, if maybe that move was made in an effort to try and save/shield Izzo And D’Antonio?

15 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

If you were the new President and AD would you want to be attached to these guys and their past transgressions related to this scandal? To me it’s simple, clean house otherwise the new pres and AD show up on campus with a bullseye on their chests. I have to imagine a good enough of the boosters and fans want this era behind them as fast as possible too. 

As a lighter aside on this heavy topic, one thing I think we all also largely agree on is that if this were IU, there would be little doubt that IU would not have been turning the other cheek, or be evasive, or try to bury the topic, etc. I believe we all have reason to be proud of the way IU typically handles, and would likely handle, such an issue. 

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At it's purest point. Because the sham classes were open to regular students too...not just student athletes. No impermissible benefit. It's kind of like the player dorms UK and Kansas have. They are allowed if it's not housing for players only. Has to meet a ratio of some sort. I remember one example where relatives or friends of players would live there also. Always a way to manipulate the rules. 

I understand the technical loophole Emmert hid behind like a coward but I still believe he could have and should have been able to read between the lines and rule accordingly. The staggering ratio of athletes vs “civilians” in those classes was indefensible and there’s no way UNC could ever justify the creation of such classes other than an avenue to keep athletes eligible. You can always find an excuse to find a guilty party innocent. 

19 hours ago, Hoosrnight said:

Dantonio has come out and said the allegations against the football team are false! I will assume Izzo will as well.

As I said before, I think both are done. MSU can’t keep either one after the Nassar stuff. This whole situation is utterly sad and pathetic. If MSU wants to keep any kind reputation, they won’t let them “retire”, they will fire them!

I just do not think it will happen....unless recruits bail, and it looks like they will become a shell of a program with him at the helm.  I imagine serious negative recruing will occur.  Wonder if this has any effect on Brooks?

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

If you were the new President and AD would you want to be attached to these guys and their past transgressions related to this scandal? To me it’s simple, clean house otherwise the new pres and AD show up on campus with a bullseye on their chests. I have to imagine a good enough of the boosters and fans want this era behind them as fast as possible too. 

What parent would want their kid to attend MSU now?  Whoever takes over at Msu needs to flat out clean house.  That cloud/doubt will not go away until everyone is gone that knew and did nothing.   That disgusting POS Dr. Isn't the only person that should be thrown in jail.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

10 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

I just do not think it will happen....unless recruits bail, and it looks like they will become a shell of a program with him at the helm.  I imagine serious negative recruing will occur.  Wonder if this has any effect on Brooks?

This is going to be out of the sports people hands. 

Archived