MSU is in trouble

Typically this would mean that Nassar is starting to talk  about others in the hopes of getting his sentence reduced...but since Nassar won't see the light of day regardless of how much he helps this could just be additional fallout.

Some of these academic types better get used to what white collar guys have had to deal with for decades....you should have known. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wonder if any of it matters -- I mean as to what the 'esteemed' NCAA might do. After UNC, I'm not holding my breath. 

Sadly, this is what I have been wondering. I really really want MSU to have the hammer brought down on them. I actually found myself rooting for Purdue to beat them this season. I despise MSU at this point.

50 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Sadly, this is what I have been wondering. I really really want MSU to have the hammer brought down on them. I actually found myself rooting for Purdue to beat them this season. I despise MSU at this point.

Quite frankly, my opinion was/is, that PSU should have been kicked out of the conference.  My stance is MSU should as well.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Just hitting the news today:   More slime on top of an already deep cesspool at MSU-  Directly related to the basketball program and a culture of coverups in East Lansing.     https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/04/09/michigan-state-basketball-rape/500624002/    YIKES!  

I just saw that, I see no way Izzo survives, but then again I have said that before about him and other coaches.

53 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I just saw that, I see no way Izzo survives, but then again I have said that before about him and other coaches.

Unless them is some documentation nothing will happen to Izzo or MSU. I truly believe the women who have been violated at MSU and I also believe that the coaches were aware of what was going on but unfortunately the players, MSU and the coaches will be protected. The only way something happens if you have solid proof like Monica Lewinsky had when Clinton denied everything. No one believed Lewinsky until she had Billy Bob by the gonads! 

Never thought I would type this. Michigan St is getting very close to the top (if not already) of most despised schools out there.  If I'm Izzo or any coach at MSU...and I truly didn't know what was going on or happened...I would be screaming to the leadership/admin saying my reputation is on the line. Guilt by association,etc.....but for some reason we aren't hearing that which tells me that maybe they did know.

Maybe Izzo would have a different tune if his daughter was the one getting drugged/raped. 

The law suit just filed against MSU is new to me.  I reviewed the information on the lawsuit which indicates to me that it was not the same incident as the Payne/ Appling affair. 

There was also several incidents involving a former player by the name of Walton that I'm not very familiar with.

The Payne/Appling incident was just a miscarriage of justice.   The police did do their job fairly and skillfully.  IMHO it was the prosecutor's office which is suspect.  There was an ironclad case against Appling based on Payne's statement to the police, but the prosecutor told the victim that they weren't prosecuting because she was "not a good witness".  The deputy prosecutor who said this later got a job in the MSU compliance department.  You do the math.

31 minutes ago, slojoe said:

The law suit just filed against MSU is new to me.  I reviewed the information on the lawsuit which indicates to me that it was not the same incident as the Payne/ Appling affair. 

There was also several incidents involving a former player by the name of Walton that I'm not very familiar with.

The Payne/Appling incident was just a miscarriage of justice.   The police did do their job fairly and skillfully.  IMHO it was the prosecutor's office which is suspect.  There was an ironclad case against Appling based on Payne's statement to the police, but the prosecutor told the victim that they weren't prosecuting because she was "not a good witness".  The deputy prosecutor who said this later got a job in the MSU compliance department.  You do the math.

Thanks for the breakdown.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

the prosecutor told the victim that they weren't prosecuting because she was "not a good witness".  The deputy prosecutor who said this later got a job in the MSU compliance department.  You do the math.

I had not heard this before.  Absolutely disgusting.  How are the current students and alumni of MSU not outraged at what is happening in their athletic and academic administrations?  One of these types of stories is an aberration, twice could be a coincidence, three or more is a trend.  Would we blindly support any IU coach (winning or otherwise) whose players were repeatedly mentioned in sexual assault cases?    

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

That be Travis Walton.......

https://www.landof10.com/michigan-state/michigan-state-basketball-travis-walton-tom-izzo-basement

Has the B1G chimed in with any comments on MSU. They've now had two major institutions (MSU/PSU) with two of the worst scandals in college athletics history. Two major black eyes...shoot the eyes are gouged out. It is disgusting! If there was a case for removal, this would have to be it. But I'm guessing there will be some hand-slapping and all will go forward as usual.

It leads me to wonder how difficult it is right now for their women's athletic programs to recruit...programs who have had zero to do in any of this. As others have said, there is no way my daughter would be accepting a scholarship to play any sport there.

43 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Would we blindly support any IU coach (winning or otherwise) whose players were repeatedly mentioned in sexual assault cases?    

Can't speak for anyone but myself but I will not support any type of pattern of abuse from any IU coach. 

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unfortunately it isn't just related to athletes.  This happens to girls all over the country and many never say anything.  Its not just a sports issue.  It just shows up more when it concerns a player from a big school.  But lets not fool ourselves and think this only happens at MSU 

Let's also not fool ourselves and think that MSU wasn't worse than most in how they reacted to these crimes after victims summoned the courage to step forward and tell their story. How many schools do you suppose actively discourage victims from filing police reports, even to the point of shaming them?  If you think most schools do that, you live in a far darker world than I do.  Rape does happen and it is a problem, and it is tough for the victims to have the courage to come forward and tell someone about what was done to them.  That makes what Michigan State administrators did to the victims just go beyond the pale.  I hope they burn that administration to the ground and start over.

Archived