MSU is in trouble

55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unfortunately it isn't just related to athletes.  This happens to girls all over the country and many never say anything.  Its not just a sports issue.  It just shows up more when it concerns a player from a big school.  But lets not fool ourselves and think this only happens at MSU 

I didn't mean to suggest that only athletes are involved in this...on either side: abuser or victim, or that it only happens at MSU. I meant that MSU's athletic department as a whole seems to have enabled this behavior over the years (and years) and I wouldn't want my female athlete daughter being a part of it. Plain and simple. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Let's also not fool ourselves and think that MSU wasn't worse than most in how they reacted to these crimes after victims summoned the courage to step forward and tell their story. How many schools do you suppose actively discourage victims from filing police reports, even to the point of shaming them?  If you think most schools do that, you live in a far darker world than I do.  Rape does happen and it is a problem, and it is tough for the victims to have the courage to come forward and tell someone about what was done to them.  That makes what Michigan State administrators did to the victims just go beyond the pale.  I hope they burn that administration to the ground and start over.

Unfortunately, rather or not this happens at an institutional level elsewhere, there is tons of discouraging and victim blaming all around the country. Maybe or maybe not to MSU levels but it's a major problem in our country. 

I don't doubt that, but I've also seen very supportive law enforcement, administrators and prosecutors give victims all the sympathy and support they could.  Not every institution operates at the cesspool level that MSU apparently has.  That's what I was trying to convey.  My daughter's school has a much better track record of supporting victims and punishing offenders.  I would hope IU's track record is a lot better than what is described at MSU as well.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't doubt that, but I've also seen very supportive law enforcement, administrators and prosecutors give victims all the sympathy and support they could.  Not every institution operates at the cesspool level that MSU apparently has.  That's what I was trying to convey.  My daughter's school has a much better track record of supporting victims and punishing offenders.  I would hope IU's track record is a lot better than what is described at MSU as well.

You are 100% correct that many times those in authority do handle everything correctly and with compassion. Unfortunately,  there are enough who don't that it discourages victims from coming forward. 

I have no idea how IU operates in this realm. 

I would be embarrassed and deny that I was an MSU fan or alum ( if I in fact was either or both ). Its bad enough sharing a conference with them.

That said, many students are speaking out against the administration.  Its dated, but I am certain they are not remaining silent.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjTnqq1irHaAhXLt1MKHYJ2ADcQwqsBCDEwAw&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Edit: Every attempt to edit imbeds video directly.

43 minutes ago, slojoe said:

It will be interesting to know what Izzo knew and when he knew it in regard to the new suit.  MSU in big, big trouble.  The football coach is probably in worse shape than Izzo.  I don't see  either surviving very long.

Time will tell.  How long did Rick skate?

31 minutes ago, rico said:

Time will tell.  How long did Rick skate?

MSU already has a very serious crisis involving sexual misconduct and its cover up with the gymnastics doctor.  The problems faced by the football and basketball coaches involve the same  issue.  If they don't take care of business soon, some one from outside will.

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Let's also not fool ourselves and think that MSU wasn't worse than most in how they reacted to these crimes after victims summoned the courage to step forward and tell their story. How many schools do you suppose actively discourage victims from filing police reports, even to the point of shaming them?  If you think most schools do that, you live in a far darker world than I do.  Rape does happen and it is a problem, and it is tough for the victims to have the courage to come forward and tell someone about what was done to them.  That makes what Michigan State administrators did to the victims just go beyond the pale.  I hope they burn that administration to the ground and start over.

I can agree with this. I was more stating that it does happen at other places and it doesn't always happen with athletes.  What happened at MSU is by far the worst i have heard about.

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Unfortunately, rather or not this happens at an institutional level elsewhere, there is tons of discouraging and victim blaming all around the country. Maybe or maybe not to MSU levels but it's a major problem in our country. 

Yes it is and MSU seems to be the worst case scenario involving players and doctors on multiple occasions over multiple years.  Personally the university should be cleaning house and setting up ways to prevent this from happening

50 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yes it is and MSU seems to be the worst case scenario involving players and doctors on multiple occasions over multiple years.  Personally the university should be cleaning house and setting up ways to prevent this from happening

Agree with this.

We really have no idea how much Izzo was knew and/or was involved in stonewalling cases. He may have not been involved but people in power just knew how important the program was so steered people away from pressing charges, or he may have been highly involved, we don't know. But even if he had minimal involvement, MSU needs to clean house and that includes Izzo and D'Antonio. The entire university needs a fresh start, new leadership, and new approach. 

Engler should have never talked to her about the case without her attorney present.  It doesn't matter whether he did or did not suggest an amount for settlement.  Engler appears to be a real grease ball.  Those people were right -- his time is up.

There is SO much wrong-- and in SO many places-- with MSU's culture the entire administration and "trustees" should be canned immediately.  The fact that Engler did what slojoe pointed out is cause for swift action.  He has exposed the school and state to tremendous liability-- even on top of what they are facing currently.  If this were IU we would be demanding all the coaches and admins heads to roll-- and rightly so.  I don't understand why MSU's core of alumni doesn't seem that upset?  Maybe I don't know and they really ARE.. or maybe they're in denial.  JUST AWFUL 

The more and more that comes out about leadership at MSU the more and more I ask myself if I'm Izzo (who says he's of high moral character, doesn't break the rules,etc....)why would I want to work for these people? Unless the obvious answer is they covered up his dirt now he's not commenting on their own. Whole place is a zoo.

I wonder how one of our own, Dane Fife, is handling all of this. Is he part of the problem or not involved? I would hate to see him dragged through the muck , and hope he is not part of any cover up.

Sign me skeptical but hoping 

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No reason to think Fife is involved in anything 

I don’t think he is directly involved in any of those decisions but he has certainly tied his reputation to the school and to Izzo specifically through the comments he has made on twitter and the articles he has chosen to retweet. He has thrown his lot in with Izzo at this point and his public rhetoric is all Spartan pride through each new cycle of reports. 

I don’t see how you can hear some of these reports and still be as rah rah about MSU as he has publicly been.

15 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I wonder how one of our own, Dane Fife, is handling all of this. Is he part of the problem or not involved? I would hate to see him dragged through the muck , and hope he is not part of any cover up.

Sign me skeptical but hoping 

Time will tell.  But at this point in time he is absolutely tied to Izzo.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived