MSU is in trouble

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a thought that would have Izzo leaving MSU.... especially for an NBA team.  The guy is 65 years of age. Plus currently has a $5 million buyout.  I could see him retiring before moving on.... or taking time off to get out of the pressure cooker, ala Matta. 

He's actually 63, and according to the linked article, his buyout is exceedingly higher. I don't know how two separate articles can have such a discrepancy in the numbers.

http://www.startribune.com/big-ten-big-buyouts-how-much-it-would-cost-to-fire-coaches/374078861/

If the buyout is closer to the $22 million, that's a much bigger hurdle to overcome.

I switched companies when I was 55, and that was hard enough to do. I can't imagine, that at age 63 Izzo would be interested in uprooting his family for a few years of a "new challenge." He's Michigan born and bred, and unless he has received horrible financial advice over the years, he should be able to ride off into the sunset with Lupe.  As well, the image has been tarnished some. Izzo leaving now to take another job would come across as conceding guilt, which he has adamantly denied.

47 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

He's actually 63, and according to the linked article, his buyout is exceedingly higher. I don't know how two separate articles can have such a discrepancy in the numbers.

http://www.startribune.com/big-ten-big-buyouts-how-much-it-would-cost-to-fire-coaches/374078861/

If the buyout is closer to the $22 million, that's a much bigger hurdle to overcome.

Proof not to always believe everything  one reads on the internet.  LOL. I based my "facts" on a published story from another fan board.  However, I believe the buyout is down to $5 million, from what it started out as. Again... I could be wrong on that too. I don't know.. I do agree with you in terms of changing jobs at his age. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Just goes to show that fathers of recruits really don't know any more than the rest of us.  I'd say Henry's father was a little bitter that he didn't have an IU offer.

I thought Henry was offered around the time Anderson and Hunter committed. For what it's worth, I really wanted Henry at IU but I think it got a little too crowded for him. Izzo should be fired for the things that happened under his watch at MSU. If that stuff happened at IU, I would want our coach fired.

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I thought Henry was offered around the time Anderson and Hunter committed. For what it's worth, I really wanted Henry at IU but I think it got a little too crowded for him. Izzo should be fired for the things that happened under his watch at MSU. If that stuff happened at IU, I would want our coach fired.

I know IU had contact with him but I was unaware of an offer being extended.  You could be right. I just don't remember the offer. Doesn't appear we had room for an offer anyway.

Of course I could be wrong, but I had read that we offered and were in a good position with him prior to Anderson and Hunter. I believe I also read that the offer was still on the table afterward. The last place I wanted to see him go was MSU.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Just goes to show that fathers of recruits really don't know any more than the rest of us.  I'd say Henry's father was a little bitter that he didn't have an IU offer.

They had an offer and a lot of people on different message boards was expecting hi to commit in the summer.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

He had an offer but he wasn’t a priority for Archie. 

I always wonder how firm such offers are.  Maybe we can talk TDH into an article about what "offers"really are.  For instance, I don't have any doubt that Romeo's offer was a lot different than Henry's "offer".  I'd love to get on the inside and hear what these offers really sound like and what catches are involved.

5 hours ago, Indykev said:
What and the hell are they doing up there? Not sport related well unless you are Blue...He does it for the sport of it...:coffee:

I just saw that and came over to post it here. You beat me too it. Disgusting. Not a good time to be a Spartan fan.

Archived