MSU is in trouble

49 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I dont even know where to begin with all of this.  It hits awfully close to home.  I wanted to blow up the MSU post game thread with the direction that one was headed, however, it was not the place and it was rightfully locked.

How many were sacrificed to keep the prestige or reputation of the university in tact?  Sexual abuse victims already have a very difficult time coming forward in our culture (studies have pointed to our culture being one of rape or at the very least - gross abuse ). Still, victims rise above it, come forward and survive.  Anyone that comes forward that was truly abused, is an incredible person.

I say this hits close to home not because it was my wife who was sexually abused, but me.  I blamed myself, lived with the guilt, repressed memories, it was destroying me and my marriage before I finally sought help.  The perpetrator was family.  He did not see any repercussion as the statute of limitations ran out in the state of Indiana.  I tell you all of this as I only ask you to think avout what you say or think before siding with the accused of sexual crime.  Is your position enabling rape culture?

Wow, man, this is heavy. So terribly sorry that you went through what you did. Good for you for coming forward and confronting what you went through, you've got a TON of strength. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lived many years in Michigan back in the day and there were two events that forever turned me against MSU. The first involved Scott Skiles. Going back to Indiana on a regular basis I caught in the Indiana news how Scott had been arrested for possession and then the next year drunk driving. Both times going back to Michigan there would be nothing in the news and there never seemed to be any repercussions! The other event was similar to what you are reading now, based on my failing memory there was brief news of a sexual assault by a couple of wrestlers. Once again the news just disappeared and there never seemed to be any repercussions! This stuff has been going on for decades! I used to be on the Izzo bandwagon as the one bright light of the program, but I changed my mind long ago.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Lived many years in Michigan back in the day and there were two events that forever turned me against MSU. The first involved Scott Skiles. Going back to Indiana on a regular basis I caught in the Indiana news how Scott had been arrested for possession and then the next year drunk driving. Both times going back to Michigan there would be nothing in the news and there never seemed to be any repercussions! The other event was similar to what you are reading now, based on my failing memory there was brief news of a sexual assault by a couple of wrestlers. Once again the news just disappeared and there never seemed to be any repercussions! This stuff has been going on for decades! I used to be on the Izzo bandwagon as the one bright light of the program, but I changed my mind long ago.

LOL.......

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-03-16/sports/sp-26686_1_scott-skiles

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Burn em to the ground.  I've had conversations with victims of sexual assault, and it really is a deplorable crime for what it does to people.  I wish they'd all rot in prison the rest of their lives and then rot somewhere else after they die.

Oh no, not on the taxpayer's dime.  We need rope and a strong tree.  And if that doesn't do them, I will put slugs in their coconuts.

57 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

There was and I was one who defended him. To answer someone else, the Payne/ little girl story ran on The Journey in 2013, I believe.

i had no knowledge of the Appling/Payne incident until reading this story today.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, my opinion of Izzo has completely changed. 

The Appling/Payne story is true. I have a very good friend who kept stats for the basketball and football programs and has inside sources. I will talk to him on Monday and see if he has information. 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I bet MSU won't part ways with Dantonio and Izzo. If MSU feels that it should lose one of them, it could be Dantonio. After the Appling/Payne case, I never respected Izzo any more. I could see he cared about winning more than doing the right thing and his false notion of 'family' thing.

I think in the atmosphere now about sexual misconduct, both will be gone. Especially in MSUs case with the Nassar stuff, I think they will want a clean break from anyone that had anything to do with facilitating sex crimes.

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I dont even know where to begin with all of this.  It hits awfully close to home.  I wanted to blow up the MSU post game thread with the direction that one was headed, however, it was not the place and it was rightfully locked.

How many were sacrificed to keep the prestige or reputation of the university in tact?  Sexual abuse victims already have a very difficult time coming forward in our culture (studies have pointed to our culture being one of rape or at the very least - gross abuse ). Still, victims rise above it, come forward and survive.  Anyone that comes forward that was truly abused, is an incredible person.

I say this hits close to home not because it was my wife who was sexually abused, but me.  I blamed myself, lived with the guilt, repressed memories, it was destroying me and my marriage before I finally sought help.  The perpetrator was family.  He did not see any repercussion as the statute of limitations ran out in the state of Indiana.  I tell you all of this as I only ask you to think avout what you say or think before siding with the accused of sexual crime.  Is your position enabling rape culture?

I’ve not been assaulted, but my cousin(who is more of a brother) was sexually assaulted by a family member for a few years as a small child. He’s my age 45 and is still traumatized by it. He is a great guy, but struggles with depression every day! It’s so sad what sexual assault will do to a person, and if it’s done by an “important” person, it just goes away for them! Unfortunately for the victim, it will NEVER go away!

Plenty of people impacted by this subject both personally and professionally. Personally...had a family member raped at knife point. I think I might have mentioned in another thread. Still traumatized to this day 23+ years later. Professionally I have a few attorneys in the family. The information they've shared (while limited) is just plain horrific. College campuses, work places, bars and yes churches....no end to where this stuff takes place. 

Most of us as sports fans are pretty short term. What I mean is we hear of something. Discuss it for a couple days and move on. These victims will live it with forever. We should all try to remember that. 

5 hours ago, ephul said:

"Schaner had moved into Wonders Hall that weekend and attended an orientation meeting. Though she did not know who they were, she saw top basketball recruits Adreian Payne and Keith Appling during the orientation, but she did not speak to them. Later that evening, Schaner ran into them in the dorm's lobby and talked with them before she accepted an invitation to go back to their room, where the three started playing miniature basketball. The two men began taking their clothes off with each missed basket, but Schaner told police she refused to take off any more than her T-shirt, under which she was wearing a sports bra. She told police the two men ended up cornering her and turning off the lights. She told police she felt trapped and fearful of refusing their advances.

Appling, she told police, removed her underwear, and then the two men pulled her to the ground and started penetrating her vaginally, anally and orally. She told police that she said to the men, "I don't want it," "stop" and "don't."

In a video interview obtained by Outside the Lines, Payne told detectives that Schaner had indicated she wanted to leave.

According to a police report, Payne told officers that he could "understand how she would feel that she was not free to leave." Payne was concerned about her reaction to the circumstances and had even asked Appling to apologize to her, the report stated. Payne told officers that he had apologized to Schaner because "it seemed she felt that they 'disrespected' her." ESPN does not typically identify people who report acts of sexual violence, but Schaner sought to publicly reveal her identity.

Appling did not talk to detectives at the time, but he granted a phone interview with Outside the Lines late last year while he was in jail near Detroit serving time for a weapons charge."

"It was consensual," he says, adding that he never heard Schaner say "no" or "stop." "Had that been the case, I would have completely granted her her wishes. We're not even those type of guys. We wouldn't want anybody to feel uncomfortable around us."

I lost all respect for Izzo after this broke a few years ago... And I love the last statement by Appling, who did the interview from his prison cell.  "We're not even those types of guys"... What a damn idiot.

What has happened to society?! Men beating women on a daily basis like it's nothing. My parents would have been the living $hit out of me had I ever disrespected a woman.

If this were my daughter....there would not be a trial for them!

I've always thought the best course for college basketball is to let K retire and make him some czar of college hoops. Set the ground work for years to come. He's been in the game for what? 45 years? He knows where all the bodies are buried. Smartest move NCAA could make. Minus his players and jewelry of course. haha...

Archived